• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Towel for sweat

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
What do you find to be the best towel for absorbing sweat and are manageable on the course? I know there have been other threads that discuss towels, but those are mostly for drying/wiping the disc off.

I live in Georgia where the humidity is always pretty high in the summer, so sweat does not evaporate so easily. I have used full size beach towels for multiple round days, but those are really too big.

My favorite I have used are the cooling towels that have to be wet. Not sure about how well they actually cool you off, but they are generally pretty absorbent when compared to cotton and also relatively easy to wring out the sweat. They are also smaller than a full size towel so more manageable on the course.

Why not cut a beach towel into halfs/quarters/whatever size fits the bag?

If that worked as far as absorption, cut it up! :)

I mostly use white terry cloth cleaning towels, the kind you can buy in packs of 20 or more. The terry cloth is nice and absorbent, they are light weight and the right size. Not too big and not too small. They are inexpensive, so if you lose one it's not a big deal (aside from not wanting to litter on the course). You have a bunch, so if you are playing every day, can just hang them up after the round and then throw them all in with the regular laundry.

Also, I've found that in the summer a sweat wicking beanie or "do rag" is far superior to any hat at mitigating head sweat. I'll bring a second one for the turn on the really hot and muggy days.

Why not try what tennis players, joggers, etc. do? Get the wrist sweatbands and see how they work for you. They should keep sweat from dripping down your arm to your hand, you can wipe your hand on them, and you can use them to wipe your forehead.

Why not cut a beach towel into halfs/quarters/whatever size fits the bag?

If that worked as far as absorption, cut it up! :)
I tried this before, but they fray too much and that drives me nuts.

I mostly use white terry cloth cleaning towels, the kind you can buy in packs of 20 or more. The terry cloth is nice and absorbent, they are light weight and the right size. Not too big and not too small. They are inexpensive, so if you lose one it's not a big deal (aside from not wanting to litter on the course). You have a bunch, so if you are playing every day, can just hang them up after the round and then throw them all in with the regular laundry.
I think this may be worth trying out and at least comparing with the cooling towel I most often carry.

Also, I've found that in the summer a sweat wicking beanie or "do rag" is far superior to any hat at mitigating head sweat. I'll bring a second one for the turn on the really hot and muggy days.
I wear a visor during the summer to let my head breath a little. I find even moisture wicking hats to make my head hot. Sure they cut down on the sweat running, but I prefer to just wipe the sweat away and also not be as hot.

Why not try what tennis players, joggers, etc. do? Get the wrist sweatbands and see how they work for you. They should keep sweat from dripping down your arm to your hand, you can wipe your hand on them, and you can use them to wipe your forehead.
I tried this once, lasted about three holes before it was so filled with sweat, it was no longer useful. Also, I don't really sweat much from my arms so very little runs onto my hands. Since I only really used it to wipe my forehead, I would rather have a bigger towel that I can set down.

Never let 'em see you sweat. ;)

Yep, work great for cleaning discs too. I don't understand why people use microfiber, it doesn't absorb worth a ****.

I use a combination. I use wrist sweat bands, a cooling towel, and a terry cloth hand towel. This pretty much takes care of me except on those mornings when the grass is really wet with dew.

It's tempting to use the poison ivy covered disc towel, isn't it?

Ha. In the rare occasion that I need to wipe the sweat off my brow I have always just used the towel that I use for wiping my discs. I guess it's lucky we don't have poison ivy around here. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

I use old "hand towels" from the bathroom. My wife replaces them every few years, despite the fact that NOBODY uses them. They're absorbant, and the right size to fold and stick in the bag to keep discs from flopping around.

So I've added a new lifestage to these towels:
* Bathroon
* Disc bag
* Shop / Garage
* Landfill

What about a camp/travel towel? There are different materials so one would probably work well for sweat. They also pack down nicely too.

They're absorbant, and the right size to fold and stick in the bag to keep discs from flopping around.

Strange. If my discs are flopping around in my bag then I just cram more discs in there.

Towels are clipped or tied onto the outside of the bag for easy access and so they don't take up valuable space in the bag. Also, it's a good way to make sure they get full of sticky, pokey things from the local vegetation so you can track that stuff in your house in ways other than using your shoes and socks.

I don't really sweat to the extent that I need a towel.

If I did, I'd probably use some of the thicker, softer car wash towels.

I have a couple of the Millennium towels in different colors (basic cotton with a mini-clip).

Blue one clips to the bag for discs.
Red one clips to the bag in the Jeep but once I reach the course I release it from the bag and pull it up under my belt on my right hip.

When I get too sweaty I pull it off and wipe my brow and it's always right there to wipe a bit of moisture off my throwing hand if I need it.

Keeping it on my belt and the different color keeps it cleaner and yes indeed, ivy free.

And for me, bandana type thing in hot weather for my head. Slows the sweat trying to get to my eyes and my head is much cooler than wearing a hat

Terri cloth is the gold standard, IMO. Old bathroom and kitchen hand towels and wash cloths. I am CRAZY careful to keep my sweat towel separated and safe from poison ivy. I also use terri cloth for disc rags as well. Micro fiber towels are for sheet.

No idea what the best towel is for drying off but on the other end of the spectrum, what is the best towel that will stay wet for the whole round to keep your hands from getting all dried out and dusty? Synthetic chamois?