• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trapezius pain

tlandegent

Hello fellow discers,

I have been trying to chase down some back pain for the past few months. Here's the situation:
The trapezius muscle in my back, the muscle in between my shoulder blade and backbone, has been freaking out. I've been trying to narrow down why it is doing this and, sadly, I feel it may be due to RHBH power drives. I didn't have this pain until I switched from FH to BH. The pain wasn't present immediately, but it must have come a few weeks after I changed my primary drive from FH to BH.

It is anywhere from a sharp stinglike pain to a dull pain. This pain continues from, possibly, my disc game into the next day... assuming my drives are causing the pain. The pain is accentuated by bad arm position while using a computer... I have eliminated that stress by using better posture and repositioning my computer on my desk.

Now, I need all your wisdom...
- I'm debating laying off of it for 2 weeks. Throwing only FH, still putting BH. Is this a wise move?
- In learning the Power Grip, I have gotten excited with the longer distance results... going from max 250ft drives this spring to now the occasional 450ft. It is exciting, but I am wondering if I am stressing out my back muscles with bad form.
- When I think about my drives (trying to follow the x-step), I realize my RH, in the follow through, whips back (contracting the muscle) and then comes back to resting position. Is this normal? Does a proper follow through involve more rotation of the body, thus avoiding a quick constriction of back muscles?
- Should I post a video of my drive? I would consult a local serious player, but I have not seen anyone at the course I play at ever drive over 300... leading me to think I wouldn't get sound advice.

Your thoughts? Other forum posts to read? Videos to watch on avoiding injury?

Last edited:
I had some trap soreness when I started driving BH, but it was due to bad form and trying to strong arm the disc out there. It could also have been a follow through issue since my form was terrible then. I haven't had this issue since I revamped my form.

I suspect in your case follow through could be the main culprit if you are driving 400'+. Its hard to say without seeing what you are doing though. Resting is not a bad idea whether its a pinched nerve or muscle strain, but it doesn't sound like you need more than a few days. Focus on your follow through and spinning around without stopping to see how that feels.

I have similar pain at the bottom tip of my right shoulder blade sometimes. I always though it was from working on a computer all day. When it gets sore, moving the mouse get's kind of painful. I suppose it could be from golfing, but it's never hurt while I was golfing. I have good form, but I throw 400+ when it's called for. Does anyone else get this from working on a computer? Or is it disc golf related?

In response to the original thread, it sounds like you definitely need to work on your rotation. When I throw for max D, after I release the disc I let my body continue to rotate. Often times my left foot (I'm also a RHBH thrower) lands in front of my plant foot so my body is facing 90 degrees to the right of where I threw. Make sense? Don't stop the rotation, let it follow through.

Thanks sidewinder,

It didn't dawn on me until I thought about when I changed my driving form.
On your recommendation, I'll tone down my power drives.
I just watched the discgolf long distance drives clinic on youtube. They're spinning way more than me, I'll make that my next priority.

Thanks for the tip, sidewinder.

Adam, great response.

It seems like trying to throw 400+ can cause more muscle stress. Great recommendation. I like your description of where your feet are and where your body is after your follow through.

Some of my stress was from not having my mouse far enough away from me while working on the computer. I now catch myself when I have my arms pulled in toward my body like a T-Rex when I'm typing, using a mouse on the edge of a desk (instead of further away with my elbow resting on the desk) or using a trackpad while the computer is in my lap (tends to cramp up). I also got a little too into World of Warcraft for a while... hours and hours of cramped up typing and mousing. I'm glad those days are over. Adam, hopefully what I've shared makes sense or helps you out.

Don't forget to stretch before every round... even if you aren't playing golf stretch as much as you can.. it helps.

Don't forget to stretch before every round... even if you aren't playing golf stretch as much as you can.. it helps.

Good call man, I need to get in the habit of doing that.

I have similar pain at the bottom tip of my right shoulder blade sometimes. I always though it was from working on a computer all day. When it gets sore, moving the mouse get's kind of painful. I suppose it could be from golfing, but it's never hurt while I was golfing. I have good form, but I throw 400+ when it's called for. Does anyone else get this from working on a computer? Or is it disc golf related?

In response to the original thread, it sounds like you definitely need to work on your rotation. When I throw for max D, after I release the disc I let my body continue to rotate. Often times my left foot (I'm also a RHBH thrower) lands in front of my plant foot so my body is facing 90 degrees to the right of where I threw. Make sense? Don't stop the rotation, let it follow through.

I'm a graphic designer/programmer, so I'm at my desk for 9 or 10 hours straight. I bet posture or a (lack of) chair support has something to do with it. I find myself slouching and leaning back quite a bit- can't be too good on me.

I do the programming thing too and if I don't get up and stretch at regular intervals I get pretty sore. Then I need to stretch again before throwing. I haven't had much issue with the trapezoid but this might be useful http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&ct=res&cd=10&ved=0CCcQtwIwCQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyzRPu37YVck&rct=j&q=trapezius+muscle&ei=luj9SuuEKcv_nAfcrpGMCw&usg=AFQjCNHDgUOzPdA2We0ZnLu7vZI-AgwxsA

I have more problems with my posterior deltoid. It is usually from throwing or even shadow throwing when not warmed up and stretched. There are also times when I muscle a throw instead of executing a smooth rip. If I don't kick my left leg up on the follow through I can get some serious pec pain too.

I have successfully worked through minor strains by throwing forehand and still putting BH. It really depends on the severity of the injury. Let pain be your guide.

I have a sensation also right between my right shoulder blade and spine that I've believed has come from disc golf. It doesn't hurt. Just feels strange. I hardly notice it anymore, but when I do its usually when I'm on the computer or mowing the grass.

I can reach that spot with my left hand so I'll massage it for a minute and its typically good to go for awhile.

This spring i was going for distance on hole 11# (Husums DiscGolf Course).

I over powered the throw and damaged my lower back......The disc only flew around 370 feet(110 meter )though I threw so hard. After that throw i continued to play but after some holes my distance sank by 300ft so i could only throw 100ft as maximum.My back was in bad shape for over a month but i still played some rounds now and then.Because of the damaged back i lowered the throw power and raised the technique of the throw so i wouldn`t hurt my back to much.Now i throw even longer but with less power.Technique wins over power.

Thank you all for your input. I like the phrase, "let pain be your guide."

I may try playing a round today with all FH drives, we'll see how I feel tonight.

Thanks all!

Latest posts