• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TRASH

On my local course, which is in a private state park, the only way they would let me put Trash cans on the course is if I emptied them myself. Which I have to do about once a month for 3 cans, the course is probably the cleanest I have ever been too. Of course it is in a state park, with a gate, which doesn't get near the traffic that a lot of courses do. My point is, pick up what you can, and feel free to take the initiative and carry out a couple of trash bags when you can. Sure no one will notice, you won't get any atta boys, but if you are sensitive to a beautiful place (a disc golf course in my eyes) being tarnished by the site of trash, then do your part for the game.

What is a "private State Park"? Not busting balls, I'm serious.

When I lived in Oklahoma City I worked out a deal between the company I worked for and the Parks Dept. Parks gave us trash bags and we got a crew together to clean up a park.

I took 10-15 people out to Dolese Park on two occasions - we spent the morning picking up trash (usually got 15-20 bags full) and the afternoon flinging plastic.

Each time we did this we ended up finding 4-5 discs, too ;)

I don't like carrying a trash bag with me while playing, and my bag does not have hardly any extra space for carrying trash.

I carry a freezer storage bag in my DG bag. After enjoying a beverage out of a can, I crush it (by stepping on it) and place it in the freezer bag. It doesn't take up much space, even if three or four cans somehow find their way in there.

Oregon's bottle bill: keeping the parks clean and the homeless in alcohol funds since 1974.

Last edited:
What is a "private State Park"? Not busting balls, I'm serious.

I believe he means you have to pay to enter the park, as opposed to a free state park.

We have 5-6 trash cans our Parks Dept. empties and were still having a minor problem with litter. So someone brought in a few large kitty litter pails and they seem to attract a fair amount of trash. They have to be emptied every couple months but I much prefer that over picking up litter.

Last edited:
I don't like carrying a trash bag with me while playing, and my bag does not have hardly any extra space for carrying trash.

Stan, I have a solution for you!

You need a Fairway Shark!
FairwaySharkcollage.jpg

I've been meaning to post this sometime. I developed the shark (and my second 2.0 version with an accordian divider Innova bag off the back) for a pack in - pack out course. It is a wilderness course where it was decided that trash bags and cans would encourage bears and racoons too much - so no collection points.

A shark round or two every two to three months and the place gets back to looking great. If I had a "pack" of sharks committed to playing pick up rounds, it'd be even easier.

And hey - I took second in a club monthly, all while collecting half a can of trash during the event - just to prove it can be done!

Now you could make that fun.

Fairway shark, nice!

Question, since it sits horizontally, how do you keep the garbage "juice" from dripping out of the side? Even emptying every can I pick up, after 18 holes, there's enough dribble accumulation to be significant. Does the shark keep it fairly contained?

Without reading more than the first page...

A big problem with large trash cans and trash bags is that when the Park Department does walk the course, it seems like the use of alcohol is way higher than it is. They dont have perspective of the last time the cans were emptied. Large recepticals seem good for the "We's" of the world that do the work. I have large cans at Bailey road park. I got around to cleaning them a few weeks a go, the last time I did it was in Worlds. So, 3 months of trash builds up and the park guy walks through and can think that it is a constant party.

So, I think less can be more at least how trash is perceived, however, it feels better to have the largest sturdiest trash bags/cans on the most holes to save labor later.

Fairway shark, nice!

Question, since it sits horizontally, how do you keep the garbage "juice" from dripping out of the side? Even emptying every can I pick up, after 18 holes, there's enough dribble accumulation to be significant. Does the shark keep it fairly contained?

no noticeable dripping.
If you look closely, you'll see the hinged release lid open top down. That helps. Easy to pop it open and "feed the shark" without taking off the shoulder, or have another player throw something in. Also the snap on lid piece has the brim which would keep the front end up a little on flat ground. However, I know hardly any of us play on perfectly flat ground, so we're consciously or unconsciously setting our regular bags down in favorable ways to the slope. No different here.

an interesting observation on weight centering - When empty the weight is certainly in the posterior, leading to a "nose up" position of the shark. A little bit awkward and manageable with the shoulder strap, but the weighting gets better the more you pick up with the center of mass moving more and more to centered and balanced. Half full is really balanced.

I'm becoming more careful with dealing with broken glass pick up. Cut glass cuts (right), so it will perforate the can liner bag, so indeed you'd end up with some "juice" after removing the liner. I now find other ways to deal with broken glass if I can help it.

I keep extra black trash bags in a gallon ziplock in the can before I put on a liner bag, so I have extras ready to go if needed. Ive done some rounds doubled bagged, and some with the regular heavy duty style pictured and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Latest posts