• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Traveling dvision change?

Emanbears23

I am from a small disc golf scene where the tournaments usually have about 30-45 people and in my division (intermediate) there are usually only 10-15. I am wondering if, when traveling to a new city I've never played in for a bigger tourney (100-120 approx people), it is both legal and accepted to move down a division since the competition level is much higher and I've never played the courses before.

I am from a small disc golf scene where the tournaments usually have about 30-45 people and in my division (intermediate) there are usually only 10-15. I am wondering if, when traveling to a new city I've never played in for a bigger tourney (100-120 approx people), it is both legal and accepted to move down a division since the competition level is much higher and I've never played the courses before.

There's nothing illegal about it unless it's a PDGA sanctioned event, you are a PDGA member, and your rating prevents you from entering a lower division.

If you aren't a PDGA member or you don't have a rating or the event isn't a PDGA event, you're at the mercy of the TD in terms of "legality". If he says you have to play division X and you want to play division Y, you're probably out of luck.

I think the only difference will be that instead of beating 10-15 you'll be beating 100-120...More than likely, the skill level will be the same as it is at your local tournaments, there'll just be many more competitors within that skill range.

Well my current rating is 893, but that is from one tourney where I got 3rd and my last tourney was one that I won and had both rounds over 930. I don't want to do anything unethical, I just know I struggle at new courses and don't wanna waste my money to get my butt kicked lol

Last edited:
Well my current rating is 893, but that is from one tourney where I got 3rd and my last tourney was one that I won and had both rounds over 930. I don't want to do anything unethical, I just know I struggle at new courses and don't wanna waste my money to get my but kicked lol

If your rating is 893, it's 893. Nothing illegal (or unethical) about playing MA3 with that rating.

Even if it is about to go up?

Doesn't matter. Your rating is your rating. The only reason to worry about it is if the change is going to happen before the tournament in question. And since the next update isn't until January 27, I doubt it's an immediate concern.

Bottom line, you're within your rights to play MA3 if you desire. But if you're concerned about being "unfair" to players at this upcoming event, look at the registration list and/or past results on that course and see if you can't gauge where players with your rating (current or what you think your next updated rating will be) are playing. If it seems like they're in MA2, by all means play there.

What they said.

I know a lot of people who play in different divisions at different events, for all kinds of reasons. Among them is playing above their rating on their home course because they feel they have a home-field advantage.

You could always look at past tournaments and see what kind of scores INT got (and their ratings).

From what I've seen, at bigger events (A Tiers), a lot of people usually play at their ratings and only move up at smaller events like a B or C tier.

Some people believe that you learn faster and play better against competition that's better than you. If you're rated 893 but play 930 golf, I would encourage you to play MA2 so that you're not digressing by playing down to the competition in MA3.

Some people believe that you learn faster and play better against competition that's better than you. If you're rated 893 but play 930 golf, I would encourage you to play MA2 so that you're not digressing by playing down to the competition in MA3.

The last tournament I played two of my three rounds were over 945 and the third was still over 910. I am currently rated 889 due to some low rounds early in the season, but play MA2 because it's more in line with my current level of golf. I'd say play whatever you're currently comfortable with, and if you're playing at a course that is very different compared to your normal course, MA3 might be the answer. Either way, go out and have fun.

The benefits, if any, only last for one round. After that, you're grouped and playing with people shooting exactly the same as you are.

On the other hand, you may find other traits of a higher (or lower) division suit you. Etiquette, rules compliance, etc., may vary a bit. You might play up to play with people who are a little more serious.

After a whole season of playing up a division (or two) I can say that little point of view which is so highly touted here is totally false.

To the OP: you can play down but you must also accept that you very well could smoke check your competition and have to deal with the vengeful cries of "BAGGER!" from the bitter losers. It depends on your goals. If your goal is only to win, then by all means play where you have the highest likelihood of doing so. But playing in MA2 might be the best shot of you having fun.

Latest posts