• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trends in Disc Golf

ArcheType

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I've recently noticed the trend, around me at least, is everybody throws FH, all the time. I actually had someone try and tell me that throwing FH had a better maximum distance than backhand, not just for them, but overall. The noobs trying to throw high speed drivers is here too, but that probably goes without saying.

So since I'm a noob, I wanna hear about past trends for DG. Back last year, years ago, whatever. What were the trends when you started?

I have been playing for 3 years, and I noticed that the younger people like to throw forhand, and older folks ( like me) like to throw backhand.

Instead of learning new shots and trying new discs in a field they come to the course and do it when it is super busy.
God that drives me nuts, or people who want to tee off with every single driver in their possession.

When I first started it seemed few had bags, especially comp bags. Now it seems the nicer the bag, the worse the player;)

Covering your bag with Patches was trendy for a while.
DSCJNKY

God that drives me nuts, or people who want to tee off with every single driver in their possession.

I resemble that remark...:doh:

Seriously, if someone is behind me while I'm practicing during a round, I let them through. I'm not going to be a DB about it and make 'em wait. For me, it's all about practicing a certain shot (hyzer, roller, turnover, etc) or learning a new disc.

I resemble that remark...:doh:

Seriously, if someone is behind me while I'm practicing during a round, I let them through. I'm not going to be a DB about it and make 'em wait. For me, it's all about practicing a certain shot (hyzer, roller, turnover, etc) or learning a new disc.
Don't take it to heart, if I'd ever had a person let me play through while doing that, even just once, I never would've posted that, but after having to either wait or skip holes oh, ten times, I now have an issue.

How about rather than FH, alot of new players only seem to throw tomahawk or some other form of overhead?

In my opinion it seems like a no-skill shot (although I would admit to using it every now and then , it has its uses =P). When I see someone throwing the tomie on a 500 ft. hole, I immediately assume they don't know what they're doing.

How about rather than FH, alot of new players only seem to throw tomahawk or some other form of overhead?

In my opinion it seems like a no-skill shot (although I would admit to using it every now and then , it has its uses =P). When I see someone throwing the tomie on a 500 ft. hole, I immediately assume they don't know what they're doing.

Thats a big thing here at one of our local courses (close to a high school). All these "kids" come out here and are throwing thumbers on a 484' wide open fairway. Dont get me wrong - OH shots have their applications though. Of course, these people are the same ones who leave a pile of empty beer cans UNDER the trashcan. And write stupid sh*t all over the benches. Or start teeing off behind you before you even finish the hole...

Sorry, strayed away from the topic a little.

As the sport grows, the quality of average players is bound to drop as the quantity goes up.

On a side note, I wonder how long it'll be before we start seeing "grip gloves" for your throwing hand. (Mark these words, it's coming.)

Covering your bag with Patches was trendy for a while.
DSCJNKY

my bag has 3 patches, it's not covered, but still. 2 iron maiden ones and a huk lab patch

PS - i've seen people wear "throwing gloves"...looked like Michael Jackson playing disc

I have witnessed the glove! There was a guy around here that used to use one (i think it was a batter's glove or a ball golf glove). He has since moved on and no longer uses the glove.

Not to look like a DB...

In my experience, the begginers ive gotten hooked on this addiction, have been very confident athletes. and when i'm driving 300'-350' while they are never on the fairway, hitting under 150'-200', their ego gets the better of them. The FH shot makes them feel worthy of being on the field. It's all about the ease and the finesse of grip on the BH, IMO. FH is more natural and tends to aid in flater and more eye appealing shots. It was only used to make them look good infront of everyone else. I suppose... :doh:

In my experience, the begginers ive gotten hooked on this addiction, have been very confident athletes. and when i'm driving 300'-350' while they are never on the fairway, hitting under 150'-200', their ego gets the better of them. The FH shot makes them feel worthy of being on the field. It's all about the ease and the finesse of grip on the BH, IMO. FH is more natural and tends to aid in flater and more eye appealing shots. It was only used to make them look good infront of everyone else. I suppose... :doh:

i tend to notice that with some of my friends too