• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Trilogy Challenge 2015 Discs

pjhayes7

Double Eagle Member
I just played in Trilogy Challenge yesterday. Just some info on disc flight for those whose can't throw 500 like the guy in the review video. A little about myself for reference. I can throw my Tern 370 reliably and will usually hit 400 once or twice a round. I throw a Thief about 330-350, Roc3 260-280, Judge around 220-230. I hope this can be helpful for people that would like to practice with something similar before they play with these three new discs.

Latitude 64 Retro Macana - looks and feels like a hybrid of a Judge and a Dagger. Beaded with the rounded nose of Dagger but shallower, although not as shallow as the Judge. I putt with a Judge, so not too much difference there and on full throws flies very much the same as well. Did not get a chance to throw them back to back to actually compare, but I tried to throw it like I would my Judge and had pretty good success.

Dynamic Discs Fuzion Evidence - As I mentioned earlier, I throw a roc3 for my mid and these flew pretty close to one another although I think a little less stable than a Roc3, but not really enough to make much difference. Not quite as understable as the Claymore, which is what I was expecting based on the video review. Had a microbead similar to the Claymore and the nose looked virtually the same, but it had noticeably less turn .

Westside Discs Elasto Sampo - Flew and looked very similar to a champion Thunderbird. Was maybe a little faster and maybe slightly less stable. I only threw this a few times, but on a hole I normally throw my Thunderbird, the Sampo went just a little farther (about 10 feet) and not quite as much low speed fade. It also reminded me of a slightly faster, more stable Escape. It had less high speed turn than lucid Escape, but about the same fade. I also throw a Trespass and this seemed less stable and just a bit slower than that.

Sounds like a pretty interesting set of discs: perhaps not as beginner friendly as last year's batch?

Interesting, I thought the Evidence was supposed to be understable. Seems silly to have another straight flyer since the Truth and Fugitive hold down that slot well.

I was wondering the same.

Did the Evidence have a lot of flashing at the bottom of the rim? That can often times fool you and when it's gone the flight changes dramatically.

I'm really interested in the Macana. Wish I could play in one of these but our local one is during my daughters dance recital.

I'll just have to wait and buy one when the overstocks start shipping.

Interesting, I thought the Evidence was supposed to be understable. Seems silly to have another straight flyer since the Truth and Fugitive hold down that slot well.

Played in a Trilogy Challenge yesterday. Found the Evidence to be understable enough to turn it over (RHFH).

Played in a Trilogy Challenge yesterday. Found the Evidence to be understable enough to turn it over (RHFH).

I was able to turn the Evidence also if I tried a little, but in the second round of my Trilogy Challenge, we were able to add last years discs. I had not thrown the Claymore since last year, so it is not broken in at all. I was able to thrown it on a hyzer and flip it and turn just a bit or throw it flat and it would turn more, then flatten out and almost come back to the center line at which I threw it. However, I got a very neutral flight with slight fade on the Evidence when I threw it flat. I expected it to be much closer to the Claymore, but mine wasn't. Granted, mine could have been a fluke, but I would call it neutral, not understable.

I'm really interested in the Macana. Wish I could play in one of these but our local one is during my daughters dance recital.

I'll just have to wait and buy one when the overstocks start shipping.

I noticed you are in Atlanta; as am I. I have a feeling you will start seeing the Macana at PIAS soon. Although I quite liked it (probably won't take a spot in my bag because it is so similar to the Judge), of the six other people I played with, two openly disliked it. When I mentioned I liked it to them, they said I must be the only one.

Had some field time with my Trilogy challenge discs yesterday- heres how they flew for me, and some profile pictures.

Macana on Left, Wizard on Right

YCwzPxt.jpg

The Macana is pretty much a Trilogy Wizard. Feels almost identical in the hand, throws almost exactly the same. Maybe a touch more glide on the Macana. Was getting 225-250 on a standstill- straight with a reliable fade. The only difference I noticed was the rim was slightly more blunt on the Macana, as you can see in the picture.

Evidence on Left, Fuse on Right

PoiBV3c.jpg

The Evidence is a little more stable than I thought it would be. Dead straight throw and it will work a nice S curve. Thrown on an Anny, and it will hold the line for a while but will fight out of it if given enough height. A little bit of Hyzer will flip it straight. It has more high speed turn than my Core, but also more low speed fade.

Sampo on Left, Sword on Right

DtzHFe7.jpg

This felt like a long Saint Pro to me. Speed 11ish, would hold a dead straight line with a reliable fade- thrown repeatedly to 350-360 at about 80-90%. I didnt notice any turn at all. The fade wasnt too hard at the end either, and if thrown low, would have a decent skip.

Overall, I would rate these as (real numbers, not Trilogy numbers)

Macana- 3/5/0/2
Evidence- 5/5/-1/2
Sampo- 11/5/0/3

Wow, Sampo is not at all what I thought it was going to be - looks like a real interesting disc.

I played in our Trilogy Challenge today. A fun tournament.

Fusion Evidence - my favorite of the three discs. A straight flyer with a ton of glide. I was able to get about 30-40 more feet with the Evidence than with my Ibex.

Retro Macana - A big, big putter. Great off the tee slightly over-stable, it never felt right in my hand putting. Also bounced completely out of the bottom of the basket after hitting center chains. Ended up 3 feet away from the basket costing me a stroke.

Elasto Sampo - I wanted to like this disc, but found it to be too overstable for my game and couldn't control it. I threw it 4 times - hit two trees, one electric pole, and sent it into the creek the fourth time.

The Evidence looks very interesting to me. Any comparisons to the Claymore? Comparisons to the Truth? Looks like it's right between the two?

My thoughts after our TC today:

Macana - Felt good in the hand but I didn't care for it overall. It was pretty nice as an approach disc but I couldn't get comfortable with it as a putter. Approach wise it didn't come out of a slight touch anny like I'd prefer from a slightly OS putter but it flew straight. I push putt and it just seemed to either fall out of the sky short or sail over the top. I had more success with harder thrown spin putts. Least popular of the 3 from our tournament.

Evidence - Straight and long. It is a nice mid but it won't bump out anything I currently throw. I was hoping it would be US enough to fill the US slot in my bag but I struggled to throw the long US lines I usually throw at our course with it. Not what I hoped for but it was still a good disc. The most popular of the 3 at our tournament.

Sampo - Fairway to Driver speed and moderate OS. Somewhere between a Saint Pro and Felon. Lots more glide than a felon and you can work some anny into the flight easier. I don't love the elasto plastic, especially in the southern heat. I'm interested in the VIP runs. The disc was about 50/50 for people at our tournament.

I'm curious about Sampo as people seem to compare it to the fairway drivers. It has the same ring thickness as Trespass so how does it compare to that? More OS? Closer to Bio Enforcer?

I do think that the Elasto plastic is probably going to fool a lot of people as it is generally a lot more stable than VIP and TP. Will be interesting to see where this fits in once they have it out in mass production.

Evidence is the starchild of this year's Trilogy Challenge. Very workable mid with a ton of glide. Reminds me of an old school buzzz with a bit more fade at the end. I threw this 50 feet past where I could throw the Sampo. We had two aces at our TC. One with the Evidence and one with the Macana