• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trilogy Challenge?

PEPSIFLAME

Has anyone ever been to one of these? My group if thinking of hitting one in May and making shirts to represent our crew. From the research I've done, they look decent. Are they usually pretty tough(competition-wise)? Is it a casual atmosphere or a strict on rules type deal?

These types of events are typically very casual, with the intent (from the manufacturer's point of view) being to introduce new players to the game (and more specifically, their product). I wouldn't describe the competition as tough, but things can certainly come down to the last few throws if no one has an insurmountable lead toaward the end.

That said, the atmosphere could vary greatly depending on the tone the Tournament Director chooses set for their event, and how many experienced players decide to attend. Many TD's go out of their way to make these events fun and inviting to newcomers, and solicit experienced players they know to not only attend, but to donate discs and stuff for prizes to increase number of people who feel like they won something. Other's like to keep it a no frills event where the best score wins and not do much else.

Entirely possible for two Trilogy Challenges (or similar company sponsored events like Discraft Ace Race, Vibram Birdie Bash, etc.) in the same town to have very different vibes to them, based on how the event is run and who decides to show up.

Last edited:
These manufacturer's product events are generally more informal than a regular tournament. If you go to one with specially made shirts, you're going to look kind of silly.

These types of events are typically very casual, with the intent (from the manufacturer's point of view) being to introduce new players to the game (and more specifically, their product). I wouldn't describe the competition as tough, but things can certainly come down to the last few throws if no one has an insurmountable lead toaward the end.

That said, the atmosphere could vary greatly depending on the tone the Tournament Director chooses set for their event, and how many experienced players decide to attend. Many TD's go out of their way to make these events fun and inviting to newcomers, and solicit experienced players they know to not only attend, but to donate discs and stuff for prizes to increase number of people who feel like they won something. Other's like to keep it a no frills event where the best score wins and not do much else.

Entirely possible for two Trilogy Challenges (or similar company sponsored events like Discraft Ace Race, Vibram Birdie Bash, etc.) in the same town to have very different vibes to them, based on how the event is run and who decides to show up.

Thanks for the detailed response. The TD for the event by me seems pretty chill, just based off of a few back and forth emails. It'll be my first event of any kind so I'm excited/nervous.

These manufacturer's product events are generally more informal than a regular tournament. If you go to one with specially made shirts, you're going to look kind of silly.

Not too worried about how I look or what people think. That's their business. Plus, it won't be like hardcore team shirts. More of just custom T-shirts with our group's logo that we use in every video game/online group. Possibly doing the same logo on our putters too(not that we can use those in this event).

I played when it was the Sampo, Macana, and Evidence, and me and my buddy beat the field by 11 strokes. We had already changed into our after round footwear, when we were told we needed to playoff, which we decided to settle with a Rock, Paper, Scissors match. He crushed a rock out for the win.

Point being, it was very casual. I've never played an un-sactioned/little-to-no-payout event that wasn't extremely casual. That being said, you still follow the rules (minus the no drinking part).

I've run 3 of these Trilogy Challenge tournaments over the past few years, they are a lot of fun for everyone. The way I run mine is to have 2 separate divisions to accommodate skill level and have the scoring system with the birdie bash system of 1 point for metal on birdie putts, 2 pts for a birdie, 5pts for ace/eagle. Its a great event to get plastic into new peoples hands as well as play in a less threatening tournament environment.

I also run an optional random draw doubles event afterwards using those discs you got in your players pack. We usually get a decent amount of players to join in.

I played when it was the Sampo, Macana, and Evidence, and me and my buddy beat the field by 11 strokes. We had already changed into our after round footwear, when we were told we needed to playoff, which we decided to settle with a Rock, Paper, Scissors match. He crushed a rock out for the win.

Point being, it was very casual. I've never played an un-sactioned/little-to-no-payout event that wasn't extremely casual. That being said, you still follow the rules (minus the no drinking part).

You have my attention...so drinking is perfectly ok? I haven't had alcohol with disc golf yet as I usually play at 9am, but I'm wanting to. 10am is a pretty ok time to start drinking. haha

I've run 3 of these Trilogy Challenge tournaments over the past few years, they are a lot of fun for everyone. The way I run mine is to have 2 separate divisions to accommodate skill level and have the scoring system with the birdie bash system of 1 point for metal on birdie putts, 2 pts for a birdie, 5pts for ace/eagle. Its a great event to get plastic into new peoples hands as well as play in a less threatening tournament environment.

I also run an optional random draw doubles event afterwards using those discs you got in your players pack. We usually get a decent amount of players to join in.

Thanks! Great to hear from someone who has run the event. I've convinced almost my entire group(so around 18 people) to sign up. Not sure how many others from the area we'll be playing with, but we're all excited to meet other players and have a friendly, semi-casual competition. We'll be practicing the course every weekend leading up to the event, which is a new experience in itself. Since we started, we've been cycling between a few courses and not really focusing on really learning one course.

My favorite of the ACE-Race, Birdie Bash kind of event. It's real disc golf, and you get a set of discs capable of playing a round, at a fantastic price.

Thanks for the detailed response. The TD for the event by me seems pretty chill, just based off of a few back and forth emails. It'll be my first event of any kind so I'm excited/nervous.

I too have hosted a couple of similar events (MVP Circuit) and run some putting leagues. I also remember only several years ago attending my first tournament and not being able to sleep properly the night before. The same thing happened before I hosted my first event (couldn't sleep considering the possibilities). In the end you're most likely to discover it's a very casual experience designed to acquaint newer players to the game and to a brand. Pro players have little use of a few discs they're unlikely to use even at a discount.

We set-up a series of side-games to teach players basics and to have a chance to learn the molds before one round of 18. We ran things at a private park and had beer sales go to the park association. We kept prizes modest (as supplied by MVP, but spread across several divisions) since everyone is already getting a great value with just the players pack. I also feel this emphasizes that the real win in this type of event is learning and enjoying your day and getting a few discs to boot rather than attracting too much competition for large prizes.

In short, I'm sure once the day is over you'll wondered why you worried at all - have fun!