• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Trilogy replacements for Wraiths and Destroyers

RyKimDG

Been throwing mainly Innova for 12 years or so. Throw Wraiths RHBH about 400-425. Destroyer can go about 450 maybe a little more. This year I expect to take putting practice and field throwing more seriously. For the first time I can afford a stack of certain discs as opposed to two or three. I grabbed a Emac lucid Truth and a St. Patricks Day stamped (lucid?) Justice not too long ago and can't let go of them. Liked them so much I am leaning towards switching my four+ brand bag (Innova, Trilogy, Prodigy, Discraft) to Trilogy only. I have switched my mids completely and am going to buy a stack of Mercys in January at DD Carrolton. But the driver slots are tricky, I've loved Wraiths for years and started really liking Destroyers last year. Wraiths are my open, calm/tailwind and powered down driver. Destroyers (slightly beat)are my max D, (newer)mild headwind wont flip driver. What molds will cover those two slots? I'd like to lean more overstable and beat them into proper flyers. I have a TP Giant that fills the OS utility slot nicely (seems way more OS than I have been reading about on here but it's a Vipunen... maybe that makes a dif?) and am thinking Saint/Saint Pro will replace my TeeBirds. So...
Possibilities:
DEFENDER
ENFORCER
SCYTHE
VILLAIN
?
?
I plan on getting one of whatever I choose and throwing it before I commit to any mold...but then I'm going to get at least 5 of each and try to wear them in gradually... replacing individual discs or bumping them down a slot as needed until in a year I'm all Trilogy. I am fine with this experiment not working and sticking with Wraiths and Destroyers, but I am going to give the Swedes a chance here, I think they mold some good plastic.
Thanks all...
Ryan

First: I was acquiring Trilogy discs and they were about half my bag, and I thought I might end up all-Trilogy. However, that didn't come to pass, as the Buzzz took hold of my stable/slightly overstable mid position, and the FD and Patriot are battling to replace my River. The Fury and Warden are solid, but that's about it. Moral of the story: the only constant is change.

Second, for replacements: I like the Gold Line Flow as a possible substitute for the Wraith. I sometimes bag the Flow as my headwinds driver. As to the Destroyer, the Defender, Enforcer and Scythe might be TOO overstable relative to the Destroyer? (I guess that depends on which Destroyer you have.) So maybe a Cutlass, Trespass, or Sword would fulfill that role.

Destroyers vary all over in stability. Try a Sword for the less stable Destroyer slot, a Giant for the stable/overstable Destroyer slot, an Enforcer for the overstable Destroyer slot. One of those three should suit your game.

boatman,world,bio trespass,bio defender,vip sword,ballista,cutlass are ones I tend to run. A vip destiny makes a fantastic tailwind bomber too.
The soon to be released gladiator sounds to be similar to a destroyer.

Thanks. I have three bottomstamp 175g SDs. One is becoming "broken in" meaning flat at right height will turn right (slight and slow) until about 200' then fly straight for 100+ then fade solid for '50-75. I can fairly effortlessly throw this 375. If I dig in I can throw it 425. My best ever was around 450 but I'm seeing gains over the last year in consistency with power drives. So another trip to a measured space might be in order.
I could be wrong in thinking I should be "discing up". Perhaps there is a solidly established progression and I should be throwing that SD 500+ b4 upping OS. If so so be it but are any of the slightly more OS options within range of the SD that I can beat in the SD flight relatively quickly and just carry maybe 3-4 of one mold for all power drives?

Hey man, gave Trilogy a full shot this last year and while it didn't stick for me there are some good equivalent drivers if you are coming from Innova. The Flow lines up pretty well with the Wraith, both for feel and flight. You might get a little more turn out of the Flow than a fresh Wraith. For a Destroyer replacement, many will say the Enforcer but I recommend the Cutlass. It had a really similar feel and is suitably OS.

No offense but if you have 12 years of experience with Wraiths and Destroyers, I wouldn't get them up. That said, my buddy that throws Trilogy only has had a lot of luck with Havocs as his HS driver.

Hey man, gave Trilogy a full shot this last year and while it didn't stick for me there are some good equivalent drivers if you are coming from Innova. The Flow lines up pretty well with the Wraith, both for feel and flight. You might get a little more turn out of the Flow than a fresh Wraith. For a Destroyer replacement, many will say the Enforcer but I recommend the Cutlass. It had a really similar feel and is suitably OS.
Will you elaborate on what plastics you were using for the Flow and Wraith?

I have thrown lots of trilogy. I came from Ultimate and one of the things I loved about disc golf was all the discs. In ultimate you always throw the same thing. Suddenly there was so many choices. I did not want to throw discraft anymore, and sort of lumped innova in there for the same reason. Messed around lots with Trilogy, MVP and some Legacy. Now I have been playing long enough and over time have been given enough innova/discraft discs that I have thrown most of them. Here is some of my findings.

Do not just assume that saints or something else will be a replacement for teebirds. Currently trilogy does not have an equivalent disc to the teebird. Most of them are faster. There seems to be some hope the river pro might be the one to do it, but hard to say. Saints and Escapes are nice discs but they break in fast and once broken in can be scary when they flip. Speed plus glide plus flip or tree hit = High score

The defender to me seems very destroyer like. With your arm strength I think you would find the trespass or sword to be too understable. I agree, the flow in tourney plastic is wraith like. My giant flies very similar to the ridiculously overstable Paul Mcbeth Destroyer I recently got

^aye, replacing the Teebird will be toughest.

I would say VIP Sword for the Wraith spot (it looks faster but the rim on a Sword feels narrow for a "12 speed.") Trespass does a great seasoned Destroyer but you might need a low PLH Giant or Defender* for the HW distance role.

*haven't thrown

I lost my good wraith and bought 2 swords.it's fun to try new molds, and I love vip plastic.
Result: Can cover most of the same shots, but not as stable. Comparing a star 170 wraith with vip(the clear stuff) sword at 168 and 173. Both were less stable than the wraith, but work. I like em, but you need a different mold to cover what a champ wraith/OS star wraith can do. A sword could replace the wraith slot , but it's not the same. Great disc, goes very far. Very good grip, very easy to get snap on. The sword is Not close to a star destroyer.

I found my wraith again and the swords areally out. Now I'm rocking star wraith and a neutron defy as its more stable buddy for dd. See how long this set up lasts..

For me, I think the biggest difference between trilogy and innova is the plastics. the trilogy plastics are just much softer than Innova plastics. Tournament plastic breaks in much much faster than Star and Recycled even faster than that. What does that mean? It means with Innova you have the orginal disc features for longer and they SLOWLY become something else. Trilogy plastic in a month with decent use is completely broken in. At that point the disc stays the same for a long time. So if you can take the time to season a really OS Enforcer, Giant or Defender you will be pleased. Though you may find discs that start out perfect are not there long enough and can become uncontrollably flippy. Please see, Underworld, Tursas, River.

The Fusion Trespass is a lot like a Star Destroyer, and I find the VIP Sword to be very Wraith like. The Saint Pro is both a little faster and more stable than your run of the mill Teebird.

I find the VIP Stag to be the best replacement, though it's really like a more glidy Eagle. X or L depending on the plastic. VIP is Xish and TP/RTP is more like an L.

I'd look at Trespass for the mellow Destroyer/Wraith type of disc. They can vary in stability a bit, but not as bad as Destroyers. You have more power than me, but I still find some Trespasses will either hold a mild turn the whole flight, and others will turn and then have a banking/easy fade at the end. Great controllable driver, that doesn't have to be smashed.

The Defender is awesome. I think BioFuzion Defender could be your power driver, you'll likely see a little turn and a late fade. For how much fade they have they still glide a lot. Lucid is more OS...I have only tried fresh one but it was like a quite overstable but not stupid Destroyer. I could see you having a BioFuzion or two, a Lucid, and then perhaps an Enforcer of some sort for the very OS role. I have not tried Fuzion Defenders. I'm probably going to switch to a Trespass/Defender combo when I lose Destroyers.

Latest posts