• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Trilogy replacements for Wraiths and Destroyers

This seems to be how every "what trilogy disc will replace my..." discussion goes. People go from throwing one Innova mold and cycling it to throwing three different trilogy molds. If you are looking to keep it to one mold, my advice is stick with the Destroyer and Wraith. If you don't mind carrying 4-5 molds to cover the same shots go with Trilogy.

I throw the Prodigy distance drivers because they all feel very similar in the hand and the rim widths are the same. If I lose one it is no problem to grab a new one, which is the worst about cycling. The plastic is amazing just like Trilogy. I like it more than champ and star.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was summed up in a post I saw a long time ago here about Trilogy...something like "Those guys have this crazy idea, that when a disc flies differently you call it a different name."

I have 3 Destroyers and an XCal in the bag. I'd be fine throwing 2-3 different molds for all of those shots, and a few plastics, especially if I know the "middle stability Destroyer" is then an X plastic Y, pretty much every time. But I also get how someone who bags a ton of Destroyers can then buy another 3-5, see how they fly, and add them into the bag in the slot they fit.

Both ways work, it's just a different perspective. For me having a slightly different rim feel but for a similar speed driver doesn't bother me at all, so I don't care if the stamp/name looks different between my "OS Destroyer" and "distance Destroyer" slots. Again I bag Destroyers and love them...I just don't like the surprise factor when trying out new ones.

Of all the overstable high speed drivers from Trilogy I'd say the Cutlass is the one closest to the Destroyer when it comes to feel. Both are slightly deeper than Giants, Enforcers and Defenders.

My most broken in GL Cutlass has developed some turn and is starting to fly like a more reliable Trespass while the fresh optos are much more overstable. Seems the Cutlass isn't as popular as some of the other high speed drivers from Trilogy but I think it's a great disc. I have better control and consistency with it compared to the Giant.

Try a GL Spark for the Teebird spot...

Give the Trespass a go. It's similar to a Destroyer, but I seem to get a hair better distance out of them.

We have trilogy stuff for fund raising, and I have had a couple guys tell me the moonshine trespass is replacing their destroyers.

Brother Dave... What's "low PLH"?

PLH refers to parting line height. It's where the two molded pieces of the wing meet, and it usually determines how high the wing is. Normally the higher the PLH/wing is the more stable the disc is.

We have trilogy stuff for fund raising, and I have had a couple guys tell me the moonshine trespass is replacing their destroyers.

I think the Trespass is actually a hair faster than the Destroyer. I know I get better distance out of it. Same general flight characteristics though.

We all know Destroyers are all over the place stability wise. The one I bag is a 1st run star. IMO there haven't been better Destroyers released since.

I reread your OP, and I agree that the Giants I have tried have been way more OS than I have expected as well. I know there are more reasonable ones out there, I've seen people get long flights and some turn out of them....but of the few I've tried they've all been crazy. The Defender is not that beefy so I think you'll like it a lot, but it's still overstable. The couple of Enforcers I have tried are more in line with the super OS Giants...more OS utility role for most players (although I hear the biofuzions are good all around beefy discs). The Trespass should do well in your Wraith roles. I find that 350-400' throwers tend to love Trespasses for their "all around Destroyer" disc, less than 350' throwers for their trusty fast driver, but with your 450' power it'll be your mellow/tailwind/controllable one.

Giant is the first thing that came to mind. Maybe a Trespass, but they're understabler than my Wraiths and Destroyers. Swords came close to Terns or Pro Valkyries.

Last edited:
Great intel.

Thanks all for the input. I think I'm going to get a Trespass, a Defender, and another Giant* and see how they fly. (* for comparison to the one I have, I love the feel and speed out of hand of my ridiculously OS TP Giant, but at the rate its breaking in It won't be a distance driver til I'm 60) I bought a nice "A-game" stamped King in San Jose and as nice looking and feeling a disc as it is, it's a roller. Will not come back... period. Wayyy too much hyzer needed to keep it str8.
I had a low weight(166) Halo years ago, and always thought "why didn't I get one around 175?" I'm surprised no one has thrown that one out there... it's supposed to be "the furthest flying disc we have ever made". What's wrong with the Halo?

Thanks all for the input. I think I'm going to get a Trespass, a Defender, and another Giant* and see how they fly. (* for comparison to the one I have, I love the feel and speed out of hand of my ridiculously OS TP Giant, but at the rate its breaking in It won't be a distance driver til I'm 60) I bought a nice "A-game" stamped King in San Jose and as nice looking and feeling a disc as it is, it's a roller. Will not come back... period. Wayyy too much hyzer needed to keep it str8.
I had a low weight(166) Halo years ago, and always thought "why didn't I get one around 175?" I'm surprised no one has thrown that one out there... it's supposed to be "the furthest flying disc we have ever made". What's wrong with the Halo?

I've only thrown 1 Giant, and to me it seemed like a slightly longer, faster Destroyer. I'd equate it with a Boss basically.

As for the Halo, I like them. Very fast, stable, and very long. Definitely faster and longer than a destroyer. Some issues with consistency in stability, but IMO a very adequate driver.

Good to try new brands. The goldline plastic or triology whatever they call it is argueably some of the best "star" type plastic on the planet. As great as Ricky is, I don't think he could have beat the best with out that tourney type plastic.

Well on to your question. The triology line up is in constant flux, inconsistent plastic, new molds that suck one run and are great the next. Yeah, just about like all disc manf.

Here is what I know. The flow is super long copy cat of wraith. Maybe even a better tooled disc. The world is long wind fighter. The world is like a destroyer with some more rocket blasters attached-look out.

Like I said, so much in flux with this growing company. Prepare to open the wallet wide open.
And if you can find the blank top gold line runs you will will have some true diamonds so to speak of the disc golf manufacturing greatness.

Last edited:
Regarding beating in a Giant, I bought a really beat up Giant real cheap and it's a good disc but I got a very similar flight but slightly longer from a fresh Deco Dye World.

Deco Dye and GL is supposedly the same plastic but I swear that the Deco Dyes feel better in the hand... ☺

I never thought I would say this, but there's too much plastic out there.... sooooo many molds... so many different plastics, variations in runs and slight modifications of molds.... sometimes I miss the days of running around Blue Mountain throwing my Leopard at tone poles. "Bong!!!" (LOL, I used the word 'bong'..) Anyway... all this has me thinking I'm going to put single branding my bag on a back burner, it's going to take time and effort away from developing my game... and if I don't learn to putt I will be an average (or below) disc golfer forever. Luckily changing putters will have zero effect on my putting... I know... trust me. Push... spin...annie spin...splush...straddle...non-straddle...
I will still bag a Trilogy driver or two based on what I've read in this thread and others... but not with the immediate goal of having a one brand setup. It took alot of work to get comfortable with the discs I'm using now. I really did believe that there would be a simple equation...
Innova mold "X" = Trilogy mold "Y"
Ha! How naive is that?
But seriously.. I just want to say "Thank you." to everyone who chimed in. Disc golf is great! Go throw! Or.... stay warm in bed until a dog, cat, or my amazing woman find some reason to pry me out from under these covers. Brrr... winter finally showed it's frosty face!
Thanks again!
R

If you can find trilogy challenge sampos those discs are amazing and replaced my teebirds, the production sampos are sadly not as good. I find them in the used bins at disc shops or on FB for a few bucks all the time. love em.

Haha I think you're doing the right thing. No need to get stressed out, trying new plastic should be fun and not overwhelming. When you see someone with one of these 10's of molds on the course try it out. So many of them between the 3 companies can fly similarly (Giant vs. Enforcer vs. Defender vs. some others...) depending on the plastics, so some of it comes to hand feel.

The World has just been mentioned too in a few posts, but I don't think it's as good of a disc. For people in the 350-400' range they can be very fast distance that just slices through moderate winds. But some of them are much less stable than advertised, and if you can really throw hard then they act surprisingly HS understable but still have a late fade...they take some width to work. I think it's an inferior disc to the Destroyer in a lot of ways. Plus I don't think they handle being powered down as nicely.

Latest posts