• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trip from Chicago to Charlotte, NC

smyith

Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
Silver level trusted reviewer
In the late summer i am taking a trip down to NC from Chicago. I am planning to hit up alot of courses in NC but i would like to play 2 courses on the way there/back. i think idlewood is going to be one of them. i need a suggestion for what else to hit between the tw and not far from the route. thanks

I have made the trip many times. The good courses are in the midway point - Cincinnati & Louisville.

Like you say, Idlewild in the Cincinnati area is a must play as is Lincoln Ridge which is in the same general area.

Charlie Vettiner is a good course in Louisville. I have not played The Fun Farm there, but people seem to like that.

Camp cullom Frankfort,Indiana. 5-10 min. Off I-69. Look at the course page for course closed dates.

that one looks cool. ill keep that in mind

I have made the trip many times. The good courses are in the midway point - Cincinnati & Louisville.

Like you say, Idlewild in the Cincinnati area is a must play as is Lincoln Ridge which is in the same general area.

Charlie Vettiner is a good course in Louisville. I have not played The Fun Farm there, but people seem to like that.

The Fun Farm is ok, but nowhere near the quality of Charlie Vettiner.

Lincoln Ridge is a must play, and I hear Idlewaild is pretty good too.

Paw Paw may be out of the way but would be worth it I am sure.

Lemon Lake in Crown Point, In?

Never been there, but I mean, they're hosting Worlds (or is it Nationals? Sorry I don't really follow the pro stuff...)

Lemon Lake is great! But since it is only an hour or so from Chicago, it is basically in the greater Chicago area and well worthy of a day trip, but not necessarily a place to break up the monotony of a 12 hour drive.

Freeman Lake in Elizabethtown KY is an awesome course too.. that's about 45 minutes south of Louisville.. not sure if you are planning to go this way though.

Definitely get too Idlewild/Lincoln Ridge (Banklick) though.

Looks like Cincy, Lexington, Knoxville are some of the bigger cities on the way.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any campgrounds in the patoka state park area besides the one in the park? The only ones in the park available are 25 dollars a night and you have to reserve two whereas I only need one night. I am looking for something else within half an hour or so. Also, any thoughts on Old English for Disc Golf? Thanks.

Idlewild Kills!!!

I liked Mt. Airy in Cincy, but Idlewild was brutally challenging. The course at Rotary Park in Huntington, WV was fun, and I also liked the course in Blacksburg, VA. If you take I-40, Richmond Hill in Asheville, NC is great too.

Have Fun!

Latest posts