• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trip to Greenville, SC

lexxerd

Bogey Member
Hey all, I'm looking and staying in Greenville, SC for a few days to check out the town and play a bunch of disc golf with my gf. I picked out just a few courses that I thought looked fun and within a short drive from the town.

Century Park DGC
3605 Brushy Creek Rd. Greer, SC 29651

Foothills DGC
111 Walkers Way Easley, SC 29642

Grand Central Station
270 Sanders Rd Central, SC 29630

Tyger River
179 Dillard Road Reidville, SC

Timmons Park
121 Oxford Street Greenville, SC 29607

Has anyone played these courses before or have any feedback for me? Also any good food spots to check out?

Thanks!

There's a "road trip" subforum for this, but I'll help you out.

ALL of these courses are fun to play, challenging, fun, safe.

Tyger is the newest course, lots of big shots, GREAT tee pads and signage, easy to follow once you find hole 1.

Timmons is the oldest --- a shorter course that people think they can dominate on paper, but find that the OB creek and rollaway greens don't guarantee you anything. Great course and a stone's throw from downtown Greenville.

Century is also great fun, similar to Timmons, people think it's easier and then they look at their scorecard and find they didn't shoot as well as they say. It's had a few little redesigns lately, making it even better.

Grand Central is my favorite in the area. There's video linked in the course page showing Feldberg, Wysocki, etc throwing there. Truly challenging course with an excellent blend of wooded and open bombs. A couple great par 4s in the woods.

Foothills is also great, a longer course than Timmons or Century, another great blend but mostly wooded.

I would also add Shoaly Creek in Boiling Springs, SC. Just up I-85 from Gville. Excellent course, great signage, longs and shorts, beautiful, easy to follow.

All courses are easy to find, safe, and lots of fun.

I used to live in Greenville and I can vouch for all except Tyger river and grand central. Grand central was built after I left but I've heard nothing but great things about it. Timmons and century a great park style courses. Foothills is a bit wonky but can be fun. Va du mar over near Spartanburg was my favorite but I think it has been redesigned.

I kinda miss the DG scene down there.

Happy hucking and safe travels.

There's a "road trip" subforum for this, but I'll help you out.

ALL of these courses are fun to play, challenging, fun, safe.

Tyger is the newest course, lots of big shots, GREAT tee pads and signage, easy to follow once you find hole 1.

Timmons is the oldest --- a shorter course that people think they can dominate on paper, but find that the OB creek and rollaway greens don't guarantee you anything. Great course and a stone's throw from downtown Greenville.

Century is also great fun, similar to Timmons, people think it's easier and then they look at their scorecard and find they didn't shoot as well as they say. It's had a few little redesigns lately, making it even better.

Grand Central is my favorite in the area. There's video linked in the course page showing Feldberg, Wysocki, etc throwing there. Truly challenging course with an excellent blend of wooded and open bombs. A couple great par 4s in the woods.

Foothills is also great, a longer course than Timmons or Century, another great blend but mostly wooded.

I would also add Shoaly Creek in Boiling Springs, SC. Just up I-85 from Gville. Excellent course, great signage, longs and shorts, beautiful, easy to follow.

All courses are easy to find, safe, and lots of fun.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't see a roadtrip area, my bad. Perhaps someone can move this at some point. I will check out Shoaly Creek and see if I can fit that one in too!

Hey all, I'm looking and staying in Greenville, SC for a few days to check out the town and play a bunch of disc golf with my gf. I picked out just a few courses that I thought looked fun and within a short drive from the town.

Century Park DGC

Foothills DGC

Grand Central Station

Tyger River

Timmons Park

Has anyone played these courses before or have any feedback for me? Also any good food spots to check out?

Thanks!

I have not played Tyger River but the others are fantastic! Grand Central Station is incredible and I also like Seneca's course and Boiling Springs, SC in addition to others you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't see a roadtrip area, my bad. Perhaps someone can move this at some point. I will check out Shoaly Creek and see if I can fit that one in too!

No big deal, but it's under "Disc Golf Courses > Vacations and Road Trips".

Anyway, Bennett's already told you pretty much all you need to know. Timmons is an excellent short course and Tyger River is a fine fairly long course and the others fit somewhere in between.

Century Park DGC

Foothills DGC

Grand Central Station

Tyger River

Timmons Park

Thanks!

First, Greenville is a fantastic town, definitely plan to have fun downtown. Also, DEFINITELY go eat at Barley's downtown; great pizza and plenty of beer.

As for your courses, here's what I'd do if I were to travel around the Upstate (I go to school at Clemson, so I play a decent amount up there; I've also been meaning to get out to Tyger River and back to Boiling Springs, so if you need someone to show you around up there I'd be down to catch a couple rounds).

One day go play Grand Central, Shaver Rec in Seneca, and Sertoma Field in Walhalla. Grand Central is a championship caliber course and oh so difficult but oh so fun. Shaver plays along several trails and is a really winding course, but also oh so fun. Sertoma Field is an absolutely beautiful course and short, but really fun to play.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5201
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1807
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3082

Depending on time, you could also play Easley. It's not kept up the best and navigation is tricky, but it is a challenging course. Just be prepared to deal with lots of kids playing on the first three holes and final hole if it's a nice day.

Otherwise, I'd do another trip of Easley and Timmons. Greer isn't the funnest course; it gets super crowded and the front nine fairways or so are super congested, so it's difficult to play there. Also, Holmes park in Greenville is worth a look; there's one super killer hole and plenty of ace runs for fun. I wouldn't bother with Gower unless you want to bag courses; there's several fun holes, but it has a ton of safety issues and if you half know how to play disc golf you'll run into a lot of them.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=534
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=270
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1365
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1099

Finally, I'd make a trip to Tyger River and Boiling Springs. You have a ton of driving to do, but two really great courses. Like I said, I haven't played Tyger River, but I've only heard good things about it. The only timed I played Boiling Springs was for a tournament, but it's really fun, and with two sets of tees, definitely worth two rounds.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7211
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1956

Here's a couple of bonus courses. The Trails in Anderson is a great course, but it's a bit out of the way from Greenville. Super short, but it's a blast to play. There's also USC Upstate's course; a bit rough but if you have the time between Tyger River and Van-du-mar it may be worth a play.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4054
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5822

Also, below Greenville there's these two courses. I haven't heard much about them, but they're there.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5468
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1820

Finally, enjoy your time in the Upstate. It's my favorite place in SC and there are a TON of great courses, plus a great culture and beautiful scenery.

Does this mean you've abandoned the Columbia trip? If so, let us know, so that thread can be put to rest.

As far as food goes, just walk up and down Main Street and find what you like.

Sushi? There's more in Greenville than Tokyo. Seriously. Sushi Koji is at the top of Main St and one of my personal favorites. The most popular is probably Tsunami, but it's more to drink at than "known" for their sushi(not that it's bad). My true favorite is Takosushi -- great service, the owner always plays good music, and really unique rolls. They also carry modern-Mexican on the menu, so you can get a couple rolls and a carne asada taco if you like(I do). Murasaki is great too and just a block up from Takosushi. All of these are on Main Street or Tsunami which is a block or so off it.

Barley's was mentioned, and I LOVE some Barleys -- if you like beer, this is your spot. Grab a sampler, which contains 5oz portions of 5 or 6 different tapped beers. Or just browse the list for your favorites. The food is good, great pizza and sandwiches, and the service is solid, a very popular staple in downtown.

One of my favorites is Blue Ridge Brewery -- near the top of Main Street, you can see the copper in the window, and their food is excellent. They make their own ketchup(sweeter than normal) and mustard(stone ground). My favorite sandwich in Greenville is their Cuban. Also incredible calamari with roasted peppers.

I highly recommend the Trappe Door -- it's right next to Barleys, at least, the door is, then you go downstairs....their most popular item is the mussels, which they prepare many different ways, and you get frites with them, and you choose THREE different types of dipping mayonaisses to go with it! I haven't had a dish here I didn't like, their beer selection is excellent, and the atmosphere is creepy cool, I LOVE this place.

Lemongrass is my favorite oriental place, very white-clothy but prices are excellent. The Orient on Main is excellent too, a bargain for the amount of food you get.

Carolina Ale House is MASSIVE and is what it sounds like --- a big place with lots of tvs for sports and solid bar food. Good beer selection.

The Casbah is a top-notch tapas joint with cool art and people, and great food, just tapas style so it's small portions to share with your table.

Rick Erwin's, Nosedive, and Sobe's are my favorites on Main St for the higher priced experiences.

I'd also say that your course selection is spot on. If I were staying in Greenville for a few days to eat and play disc golf, those are the courses I would hit, but I would add Shoally Creek(listed on this site as Va-Du-Mar, it's the one in Boiling Springs just up I-85).

On the way in since you're coming from Charlotte, would be Va-Du-Mar first, then Tyger River, then Century.

Another day, you can play Grand Central first, hit Foothills on the way back to Greenville, and then finish with a shorter round at Timmons near downtown, and that's a solid day of frolf.

I played Shoally, Grand Central, and Timmons a couple years ago, and I wouldn't mind a replaying all of them if I'm ever in the area again.

Yes, I realized there are more courses in Greenville and alot of other cool things to see.

I'm in Columbia, more or less, and must say you've made the right decision.

Besides---as someone hinted in the Columbia thread---you can always day-trip to Columbia once or twice and hit the good courses, when you're ready.

As far as food goes, just walk up and down Main Street and find what you like.

Sushi? There's more in Greenville than Tokyo. Seriously. Sushi Koji is at the top of Main St and one of my personal favorites. The most popular is probably Tsunami, but it's more to drink at than "known" for their sushi(not that it's bad). My true favorite is Takosushi -- great service, the owner always plays good music, and really unique rolls. They also carry modern-Mexican on the menu, so you can get a couple rolls and a carne asada taco if you like(I do). Murasaki is great too and just a block up from Takosushi. All of these are on Main Street or Tsunami which is a block or so off it.

Barley's was mentioned, and I LOVE some Barleys -- if you like beer, this is your spot. Grab a sampler, which contains 5oz portions of 5 or 6 different tapped beers. Or just browse the list for your favorites. The food is good, great pizza and sandwiches, and the service is solid, a very popular staple in downtown.

One of my favorites is Blue Ridge Brewery -- near the top of Main Street, you can see the copper in the window, and their food is excellent. They make their own ketchup(sweeter than normal) and mustard(stone ground). My favorite sandwich in Greenville is their Cuban. Also incredible calamari with roasted peppers.

I highly recommend the Trappe Door -- it's right next to Barleys, at least, the door is, then you go downstairs....their most popular item is the mussels, which they prepare many different ways, and you get frites with them, and you choose THREE different types of dipping mayonaisses to go with it! I haven't had a dish here I didn't like, their beer selection is excellent, and the atmosphere is creepy cool, I LOVE this place.

Lemongrass is my favorite oriental place, very white-clothy but prices are excellent. The Orient on Main is excellent too, a bargain for the amount of food you get.

Carolina Ale House is MASSIVE and is what it sounds like --- a big place with lots of tvs for sports and solid bar food. Good beer selection.

The Casbah is a top-notch tapas joint with cool art and people, and great food, just tapas style so it's small portions to share with your table.

Rick Erwin's, Nosedive, and Sobe's are my favorites on Main St for the higher priced experiences.

Thank you for taking the time to type out this info! Very great!

I'm in Columbia, more or less, and must say you've made the right decision.

Besides---as someone hinted in the Columbia thread---you can always day-trip to Columbia once or twice and hit the good courses, when you're ready.

Yeah! Even though Charlotte is the mecca for disc golf, we want to get away for a few days and I am definitely seeing that greenville is the right choice! Thanks for all the helpful info guys! Very much appreciated!

I'd also say that your course selection is spot on. If I were staying in Greenville for a few days to eat and play disc golf, those are the courses I would hit, but I would add Shoally Creek(listed on this site as Va-Du-Mar, it's the one in Boiling Springs just up I-85).

On the way in since you're coming from Charlotte, would be Va-Du-Mar first, then Tyger River, then Century.

Another day, you can play Grand Central first, hit Foothills on the way back to Greenville, and then finish with a shorter round at Timmons near downtown, and that's a solid day of frolf.

Adding to the list!!

if we're talking about places to eat then I have to give a shout to Korean Barbecue (that's the name). it's off woodruff rd behind the red robin gas station. the owner is a really cool guy. we were down there back in November after having moved away three years ago and he recognized us!

also check out the Hanz & Franz Biergarten off Pelham rd.

Add another for Blue Ridge Brewery; they have great burgers as well, and don't forget to buy an ugly mug

Latest posts