• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trophy only event?

snowren24

Par Member
so the first big local tourney of the spring is going to be trophy only. So this means no plastic payouts, just a players pack, and a trophy for the top 3 in each division, 1st only in rec.

I'm pretty new to tournaments, played in 1 last year, and a few ice bowls over the winter, and this is the first without a plastic payout that I have seen, and I have to say, its really discouraging me from going. I'm a rec player, with hopes of moving up to intermediate this year, though Ive never won anything in rec, at least there was the possibility of getting some new disc to try out if i placed, or a back up to my bag.

I guess I'm just wondering what people's opinions are on these events. I can see it promoting people to stop being baggers, but on the other hand, I see it discouraging attendance.

My other thought is where does the money go then? all those registration fees are not going towards the trophies I'm sure. are they going to the open divisions for extra cash payouts? or are the players packs going to be that awesome?

here is the event if anyone cares.

The registration fees are a lot cheaper than any "B" Tier that I have played in, which explain the lack of payout script and the weak players package... I would play it as long as the profits from the tournament are going to the local club. I also think that making the AM2 and REC divisions play from the short tees is LAME! Never seen that before in a tournament..

I've played in a couple like this and have another one on the schedule so I've got a feel for how they are. There's a few pros and cons to this format. Depending on the players pack, are you getting your entry fee back in free merchandise (discs, shirts, hats...)? If you're already getting your money back then really you are just playing for a place. Another pro would be is that you don't mentally have to figure how many strokes you have to make up after the first round and during the second to get in the cash. It makes for an easier more relaxed round. Is it a sanctioned event where you're getting a rating per round? That would explain where some of the money goes; renting the course, PDGA fees, possibly providing free lunch... You have to look at it from this perspective to see if it is really worth it to you to pay to play. Last weekend, I played in one that was a fundraiser for another tournament. It had a low entry fee for everyone plus a players pack but I knew the money was going to another tournament instead of directly to someone's pocket.

...I also think that making the AM2 and REC divisions play from the short tees is LAME! Never seen that before in a tournament..

I've seen that used in a couple tournaments, and it might be to discourage bagging. The logic was if players think they are "too good" to play the short tees, then they should move up and play a higher division. There are good arguments on both sides.

I've seen that used in a couple tournaments, and it might be to discourage bagging. The logic was if players think they are "too good" to play the short tees, then they should move up and play a higher division. There are good arguments on both sides.

The funny thing about that is this weekend at Meeks Mashburn had the Ints and non pro old men play a round from the shorts and their scores were not the amazing crushing rounds that they all think they should be throwing.

The "I'm better than a certain tee" mentality is crap. Now if you went out there and threw a 38 or something then nobody is going to hold you back but when half the INT class didn't break par it kind of legitimizes the tee IMO.

PS, no luck on the discouragement.

some things I do know about the tourney

the short tees: the short tees arent all that much shorter than the normal tees, and I would make the argument that a couple of holes (hole 4 in particular) play tougher from the shorts than the longs.
Im not sure what the thinking behind have the shot tees played, but I assume they are worried about speed of play.

"B" tier: so what makes a tourney B teir anyway? higher fees to the PDGA? number of people? payouts? Ive played Roscoe alot, and dont get me wrong, I love it, its a great course, but its not top rated by any means from what Ive seen on this site.

renting the course: definitely no fees there. Its free to the public, and the people running the tourney head up the local club that takes care of the course.

Sanctioned: yes

players pack: I dont know whats in it, I assume a shirt of some kind because they ask for a shirt size.

Lunch is not provided

Relatively cheap entry fees for a B tier.

As far as I'm concerned, I wish more DG tournaments were run like that. The market will decide whether it works or not.

It's a B-tier so I don't know much about those but as long as the profits are going to a cause(club, the park, charity) then I'm cool with it. I'm going to do a one round probably $5 trophy only fundrasier before an ace race i'll be hosting later that day.

I will be hosting 2 C-Tiers this year. One will be a trophy only paying out the top 3 places for the only 4 divisions being played - Open, AM 1, AM 2, Women/JR.

Open will get a trophy and some cash back
AM 1, AM 2, Women/JR will get a trophy only.

There may or may not be a players pack. This tournament will be funding the other C-Tier.

The 2nd C-Tier will pay out the top 30% of each division like any other C-Tier and there will be a sweet players pack - Shirt, Disc, Bag Tag, plus a free lunch and some other goodies.

It's a B-tier so I don't know much about those but as long as the profits are going to a cause(club, the park, charity) then I'm cool with it.

this is how I feel about tourneys in general, and even if a club does a 100% payout in plastic they are still making money because what they are valuing that plastic is more than what they paid for it. IMO, that's the best way to raise money because both parties get something out of the deal.

I dunno, I'll probably end up checking this one out since its so close to home and I do really love the course. Hopefully the players pack is good.

"B" tier: so what makes a tourney B teir anyway? higher fees to the PDGA? number of people? payouts?
All of the above are part of the package or an expectation of sorts. B tiers also require a players pack with a retail value of at least $10, whereas a C tier doesn't require one at all. You can read the nitty gritty here.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/EventsGuide.pdf

Ive played Roscoe alot, and dont get me wrong, I love it, its a great course, but its not top rated by any means from what Ive seen on this site.
The PDGA runs tournaments, not courses. DGCR is an independent website populated by largely recreational golfers who have supplied the reviews and ratings on here. They have nothing to do with one another except that they are involved with disc golf. As far as the PDGA is concerned, you can run a 'B' tier in a carved out cornfield or a rock quarry with temporary baskets.

renting the course: definitely no fees there. Its free to the public, and the people running the tourney head up the local club that takes care of the course.
Free for casual play doesn't necessarily mean that its free to reserve for exclusive use for the day(s) of the event.

players pack: I dont know whats in it, I assume a shirt of some kind because they ask for a shirt size.
A disc may be thrown in as well, possibly tourney stamped.

I think a lot of folks not familiar with tourney economics need to realize that there's a lot more expenditure (both time and monetary) that goes into these things that folks who just come in to play don't realize. IMO, its a bit selfish for players to insist that TD's and clubs put on these things often on their own volunteered time and pay out every waking cent that was taken in to avoid being called a gouger.

Of course, nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head to enter a DG tournament against their will. If one doesn't like how a particular outfit runs their events, they have all the right in the world not to sign up for them. They can even put on their own events should they choose.

I think a lot of folks not familiar with tourney economics need to realize that there's a lot more expenditure (both time and monetary) that goes into these things that folks who just come in to play don't realize. IMO, its a bit selfish for players to insist that TD's and clubs put on these things often on their own volunteered time and pay out every waking cent that was taken in to avoid being called a gouger.

I agree and expect the club putting on the tourney get some money out of the deal. Its a great way for them to raise money, and without the clubs most courses wouldn't be around.

This reveals an oddity about the disc golf culture. You pay for other entertainment. You pay to participate in other sports. Yet in disc golf, players expect it to be free---all the entries given back in prizes and players packs.

Why shouldn't we be willing to pay, say $20, for someone to organize and run an entire weekend event for us to play in? Maybe $30? It's a bargain.

I'll bet softballers or basketballers never ask why their entire entry fee isn't given back to them.

And I say this as someone who's been playing Am tournaments for 15 years, and been given my entry back, more or less, over this time.

Of course, nobody is putting a gun to anyone's head to enter a DG tournament against their will. If one doesn't like how a particular outfit runs their events, they have all the right in the world not to sign up for them. They can even put on their own events should they choose.

This! well said.

I've been contemplating running a trophy only tournament. $15 per player and give all non pro players a CFR Disc and then trophies. The CFR Discs would cost $6 a piece plus shipping, $2 to the PDGA, $3 to the state sanctioning body and the rest to cover the $50 registration fee and trophy. One per division winner.

I'm not sure how that would go over but I don't think there would be any money to be made on a tournament like that.

At least everyone would get a disc equal in value to the entry fee.

I'm to the point where I really don't want payout. Heck, Christy donated her winnings to the 3rd place girl this weekend so she could get some appropriate discs.

I would play trophy only if the price was right, I don't think I would pay 30 bucks and then have the pros walk off with the 10 bucks that I unknowingly donated....now you include a fatty lunch and we can talk 20-25 no problem.

A lot of people neglect the scorecard, program, tee signs, flyers printing fees and all the other little costs that go into these things.

I thought the rec trophy at Crowley this weekend was pretty awesome. It was a mini basket.

Only about 8 people played that division, while 45 or so played up in intermediate, which had a huge plastic payout as a result.

I'm kind of surprised that the PDGA requires 100% payout. But I guess it helps out the disc compnies, and the TDs get to pad the added cash by "profiting" on the plastic prize markup, or so I hear.

I'd rather do away with player's packs and plastic vouchers and see the amateur entry fees go to the PDGA (so they can maintain a decent website), the pro division payout, and the TDs. If I need some discs or swag I'll just buy it.

Also, they could lower the fees for ams a bit. $30-$50 does add up for some people, who can't play as many tournaments as they'd like as a result. It's small comfort to get a players pack of items you don't want, and a voucher for discs you don't need or use, and will probably just sell on ebay.

So I don't have any problem wirth the trophy only payout. It's a step in the right direction in my view.

The 100% payout is after all fees so you could theoretically charge upto 20% to run the tournament.

Example:

My tournament at Flyboy cost $50 for intermediate

$2 to PDGA
$35 to food and camping
---------
$13 to payout

I could payout $39 to the top 2 in a 3 woman division and be at 100%

I hope to be closer to 600% when all is said and done.

"B-Tier: State level events providing 100+% Payout to the Professional and Amateur fields along with an amateur player's package valued at a minimum of$10."

So after reading this I'm guessing that the payouts will all go to the open division, and the Ams get trophies since all of the month needs to be paid out?

If anything, it would be harder for a club to make month in this format, at least at the B tier level.

unless I'm not understanding the rule correctly.

Latest posts