• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble switching for Buzzz to Roc.

It's been said often here, Buzzz and Roc are two different discs. Just because they're their manufacturers' flagship midranges doesn't mean that they're interchangeable.

This is a true statement. They are not even close to the same disc, physically and their flight characteristics. All it is is that the Roc is the most popular mid-range Innova, and the Buzzz Discraft's. To this day I still do not understand the "Roc vs. Buzzz" debate, as I believe its more of a "Innova vs. Discraft" arguement. Personally, if I could handle the big bead of the Roc I'd have both in the bag. Don't switch from your Buzzz to a Roc just because. Switch to the Roc because you need more stability. You will not get the distance you get with your Buzzz from your Roc, but its not far off. IMO, its all about the grip comfort.

i started with a buzzz
tried me some rancho roc, for a little more stability, and it didnt work for me
so i got a wasp to fill that spot

so now my buzzz and wasp live peacefully next to my glide making the discraft mid-range 3 pack

and the new star rancho roc sits in the extra disc box

buzz = shark, not roc. I have a roc and a shark in my innova bag because the shark handles low lines better. Try them both.

Buzzz=!Shark
Buzzz is a faster disc and is easier to throw 300+. Roc needs a higher line to get pat 300 unless you are a beast.

buzz = shark, not roc. I have a roc and a shark in my innova bag because the shark handles low lines better. Try them both.

Very true
I am in the process of switching my wife over to a pro-d buzzz from a shark
mostly because she now needs a heavier disc,
and if she is playing with someone else (I.E. doubles) more people are familiar with the buzzz than the shark
and it is easier for them to give her pointers/help if they know what she is throwing

I've noticed my rocs like height and snap compared to when I threw buzzz's it like more power and lower lines. I also use a modified fan grip with my index tucked for rocs where, even now, I'd probably still power grip a buzzz.

I'm a midrange minimalist so having three to four rocs fits better than a meteor, buzzz, wasp combo.

This is all my opinion if course.

The sharks were just like a beaten roc to me. They liked the higher, more glidey lines like the roc. It has been a while since I have thrown either the shark or roc because I switched to the buzzz, and subsequently to the axis.

Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Shark = garbage

Buzzz= game changer
You may chalk this up to my being a noob, but...
I keep trying to like the Buzzz, even recently bought three more of them when I finally found them in lighter weights (145-150 and 160-162). So I keep playing with it and am not seeing all that much difference from the Shark. It goes a little further, flies a little faster, is not as controllable, fades more, won't carry the hyzer and anhyzers as well. I'm about to shelve the Buzzz again and put the Shark back in the bag. I'll give it a little more time....

Wow, you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Shark = garbage

Buzzz= game changer

Ever thrown a champ or star shark? Other than the feel, if you think theyre that much different, youre lying to yourself

The Buzzz was the first midrange I learned to throw properly...I was interested in trying other things, so I asked Dave D. on PDGA.com what Innova discs would compare to the Buzzz (this was a long time ago). He told me that a Champ Shark was essentially a beadless Roc like a Buzzz. So I picked up a Champ Shark. It was slower, considerably more overstable, shorter/took more effort, dropped straighter and more forward on the fade, needed more height, and flew on curvy lines instead of straight ones. I liked it because it was so DIFFERENT than my Buzzz that it complimented it quite well. It wouldn't do what my Buzzz would in any situation.

Long story short from someone with aces on both discs...They are way different. Like any two discs someone with great skill could mimic the same lines with both discs, but they wouldn't be throwing them anywhere near the same to get those results.

Also, the Buzzz is one of Discraft's hottest sellers and one of the most popular mids of all time and the Shark is the Roc's redheaded stepchild that will probably end up OOP in all but dx soon (and most those dx discs will be packaged in 3 packs and sent to Wal-mart). If they were the same I highly doubt this would be the case.

Flight charts from Inbounds for the Buzzz, Roc, Shark, and King Cobra

What is on the flight chart certainly is not how the Buzzz behaves for me, which is a cross between a Roc and a Shark, though more like a Shark. I have not thrown a Roc lately, but I remember it as behaving similar to the chart. I have been using a DX Shark, and trying a King Cobra (Champ) lately, and they do behave for me much like the charts. It is really interesting that those two are so similar. :confused: I had bought the King Cobra with the information that it was a Champ Cobra, probably CFR, and was not happy to find it so different, as the Cobra is one of my favorites.

Looking at all this, including comments here, I am thinking to:
  • Stop looking for a star or champ Shark and consider the King Cobra my heavier wgt durable Shark
  • Keep trying the Buzzz, but being more careful to keep it low and level
  • Leave the Roc in the loaner bag and just dig it out for windy days (because it is a 170 something wgt and I normally use 150 to 165 wgt discs)
  • Continue working with my new Comet and drop the Buzzz if the Buzzz continues to be more difficult than the Comet.

I hope this is enough on topic...if not I will move it. :)

Juju's right.
Jen's wrong.
Paul has the right idea of working with his comet but should keep the roc to compliment it and shelf the buzzz.

I don't throw either anymore but I have owned a couple of each. I had heard that the Buzzz was Discraft's version of the Shark, that they pretty much copied the Shark mold for the Buzzz... I may be wrong though.

I don't throw either anymore but I have owned a couple of each. I had heard that the Buzzz was Discraft's version of the Shark, that they pretty much copied the Shark mold for the Buzzz... I may be wrong though.

The Shark has got the funkiest wing in disc golf other than the Monarch/Groove. No one has yet or probably ever will copy that. The Buzzz on the other hand has perhaps the most common wing shape in disc golf--curved concave bevel(like the Roc/Cobra and many mids to come out since). The Shark has a tapering curved nose where the Buzzz is squared off and thicker...Though the Shark does not have a traditional bead, it has a weird extension on the bottom that makes it feel beaded in the hand.

Compared side to side with the entire family of Rocs including the Shark the Buzzz is like a flat topped beadless Rancho with a slightly thicker nose. IMO Discraft was thinking of a flat Ching Rancho Roc when they took the bead off the Wasp, added a nose spacer, and made sure they were flat(Buzzz). Those Rocs were probably the most popular mid in MI at the time the Buzzz came out.

Shark = Buzzz is just one of those weird myths that I'm surprised has stuck around...It's pretty much as absurd as the TL-Leopard bottom myth.

Last edited: