• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

True Reason Why Disc Golf Isn't Becoming Main Stream

Mainstream means more courses (closest course to where i live is an hour and a half) I would love more mainstream, better courses, greater competition among manufacturers which creates innovation (better bags, or atleast cheaper bags). Mainstream doesn't ruin sports, even if there were two golf courses in the world it would cost the same to run a golf course, so the prices would be the same if not higher. Mainstream usually means cheaper. What would make disc golf more expensive by going mainstream, would it cost more to maintain a course? I doubt it? You could maintain a course with one or two people with people paying $5 as an entry fee. Golf is so expensive because because you have metal clubs, Expensive course maintenance fees because of fertilizers and lawncare, and because of property taxes. Disc golf can still coexist in a city park or in the mountains, even if its Mainstream.

A sport going mainstream should not stop YOU from taking action and getting involved in setting up a new park yourself, or with some help. It just takes effort! I know many a man who took such steps in a positive and impressionable direction to do just that :)

1) I am not on this forum 24/7, not even 1/7 probably, so I likely won't read following posts, but I wanted to throw this out there anyways...
2) I don't know in how many threads this has been discussed or if anyone has ever mentioned this but...

How big of an interest is there to grow the sport anyway? I mean, sometimes it looks to me that people who want to grow the sport only think about the positives, like cheaper stuff, better discs (plastic, consistency and so on), more courses, better courses (design, maintenance....), more local players, more money to make for all pros, publicity (your friends will think you're cool instead of asking you "what the heck is discgolf?"). But what about the "bad things" that will happen? I mean, I'm open to anything that will happen, but I know quite a lot of guys that are just not ready for it or just don't want it. I mean those guys, that travel to tournaments to meet friends, smoke some stuff, drink alcohol, play alcohol putting games in the evening, throw some discs in between that, then drink again, be cool and so on. I know there are quite a lot out there, and I don't mean not-so-good players who (no offense) just travel to tourneys to have fun because they won't win (we only have one Pro division and that's it), but also pretty decent players who know how to throw a discs quite well. How about when discgolf grows? You will have a lot more guys like me. Guys who take discgolf as a sport. Guys who don't drink and smoke. Guys who don't go to a tourney and say "hey maaan I f**ked up sooo bad, but nevermind, I'll smoke some and drink some and I'll be fine". There won't onle be more of my kind, there will be more sub-groubs in discgolf, more rivalries (and I mean rivalries, not like friendly ones) because the drinking smokers will hate the tourney players, and the tourney players will hate those who just want to have fun instead of taking a tourney serious.
And I'm sorry to say, but I know enough people that don't even have an interest in growing discgolf. Not saying it's bad, but they like the way it is. They like discgolf as a thing for hanging around with friends and do some stuff. And what I think discgolf needs is, that we get more guys into it that are serious about the sport. We need a group of people that take it as a sport. Not only 1000+ rated players, also those who average a 900. Everyone who takes the game as such serious. And on the other side, we can have all the ones that like the game, because of all the reasons I already put up: smoking, drinking, hanging around, meeting friends. Again, don't get me wrong, I think that is perfectly reasonable. Basically every club in every sports is some kind of sitting together, hanging round (and at least where I live, drinking as well), but when it comes to the contest itself, basically in every other sport I did until now (soccer, ski jumping, snooker, ball golf, volleyball) the majority of people were more serious about it than in discgolf. I mean it's no problem that you will have every kind of people walking around in a park and just tossing discs and that's it for them. You also have people just taking their kids with a 10 year old football and head out to the soccer field to play a little. But when it comes to tourneys, I think the level of "sport" (serious competition, not just I'll throw some discs) needs to rise....

So I don't know if I somehow got out a point, but...I just wanted to get this off my mind...had this in my head for a couple of weeks now :doh:

Preach it Luma! :)

With you all the way.

I think we're lucky in Europe that we appear to be pushing the sport down the sport route rather than recreational drug use with tossing a frisbee on the side route - Jussi and Discmania are doing massive things for the game, over here in the UK CTS are teaching it in schools across the country. I've got plans in motion to push it on in my own way.

I think the mainstreaming of the sport is going to come from this side of the pond and trickle over to the states if the very negative attitudes I see again and again on these and other forums are actually reflective of the general attitude in the US towards raising the standards. I hope that this isn't the case and that those that are pushing it on are actually out there pushing it on rather than wasting their time on forums like me ;)

If you have never seen people drinking and smoking on a ball golf course, you have never been to a ball golf course.

Want to make DG explode? Stop relying on the thought of sponsors, and get a full-bore children to teen program going. Get in schools, make it a HS sport, give scholarships to college for it, implement Title IX.

/rantbecauseitsnotjustmoney

this is in progress locally. disc golf is becoming part of PE curriculum in middle school and junior highs. I'm not personally involved, but I think it's the best way to get exposure for the sport in order to grow it in the future. Get discs in the hands of kids that have no preconceptions about the sport and just want to go outside and have fun.

Maybe someone has a rich uncle! Maybe one or a few manufacturers could try venture capital. VC's throw money at anything that can earn them a return. And Yes disc golf can earn a return on $5Mil

I'd pay good money just to watch the presentation to the venture capitalist.

Maybe someone has a rich uncle! Maybe one or a few manufacturers could try venture capital. VC's throw money at anything that can earn them a return. And Yes disc golf can earn a return on $5Mil

Uh, no it can't.
Sorry. Wishing really hard will not make it happen.
Economic realities of DG do notfoster big payouts or big ROI.

Last edited:
For profit entities don't choose to lose money. "They" are not going to put five million dollars into disc golf until "they" can reasonably expect to get at least ten million dollars out of disc golf. A net loss for disc golf does not sound like growth.

that would be an incredible expectation that would result in no one investing in anything. if you can reasonably expect 5.5 mil in return, you'd invest 5 mil. various other factors of course. thay said, im not sure how you would invest in to disc golf itself, in a way that would return a profit for the investor.

how again? just giving out big purses to a handful of players? how is that ever going to get back to the investor?

And so another one of "these" threads has started......... :popcorn:

I wonder if we'll find the solution this time?

The solution is for warmer weather and longer days to get here, so people can play instead of posting.

Oh, are you talking about a solution for the state and future of disc golf? I thought you were talking about a solution for these type of threads, which are really mushrooming over the past week or so.

If you have never seen people drinking and smoking on a ball golf course, you have never been to a ball golf course.

this x100

People think that the only ones that drink and smoke are your hipsters who have 2 disc in a plastic sack. People who have nice jobs, drive nice cars, have a nice grip bag and take the sport seriously also smoke and drink on the regular.

I have played many private courses and it does not curb this behavior. If someone payed 10$ to play on a course that is in the deep woods and its him and 3 of his buddies, do you think for a minute that because they paid to play there it will curb their actions? Good luck with that.

Disc golf is actually starting to be supported in public schools here in the Charlotte area, several elementary schools have courses and the middle school I teach has a disc golf unit in their PE classes. It is a slowly growing process, but it is nice to see it recognized by the school system, especially when so many other programs are being cut due to budgeting.

$5/hr vs $50/5hrs is the same per hour? Uhh... No...

Also, most pay to play courses are a daily rate so you could go and play 3 rounds for 5 bucks <I do this fairly often>.

Whoops. I tweaked the numbers last seconds and didn't add "almost" before "the same." The last DG pay to play course I went to was $10, and it was an all day pass, but I swapped in the more common $5 rate into my flawed equation. I never play golf for more than $40 with cart and balls included, and twilight deals can get below $20/round. Isn't Selah Ranch like $20 with cart?

Anyway, my fuzzy math blurred the point I was trying to make about the pay to play correlation, and how charging for rounds can potentially detract from DG's appeal. I've also heard the argument about it keeping out troublemakers, but it doesn't work on the golf course, even with marshals driving around. It's the golf "culture" that keeps players considerate and encourages proper course etiquette.

There's plenty of these threats with folks wanting DG to go "main stream". Can someone define more clearly what that means?
- more money to the pros
- major broadcast network coverage
- more courses (free and pay-to-play)
- more public awareness
- more respect

Personally I'd be happy not to have to explain what DG is or not have folks make hippie comments when I tell them I play.

It has nothing to do with pay for play. I've been told by at least three private course owners that it keeps the riffraff out. In fact, I think that p-f-p is the future of disc golf. What I'm talking about is an attempt in some areas to "gentrify" the sport to attract the moneyed elite to start playing and, more importantly, start donating $. When I start seeing guys sporting pink polo shirts and $300 shoes walking the courses, I wonder when they'll decide that the sport needs to be "cleaned up". Money talks and most disc golfers I know are broke, so if the rich people decide that they want to own disc golf, it'll happen.

Always amazed that people make the leap from "the way it is" to "country club sport" at the mere mention of pay-for-play. Private, pay-for-play disc golf courses are probably more akin to bowling alleys than country clubs.

Tennis is a country club sport, but there are free courts everywhere.

Why is this an obsession with people?

You know that when DG goes "Mainstream" that all the TV advertising would have DG in it. Just look at bike riding a few years ago ( Road,Mountain,BMX ). Now almost every one has Yoga in it or based around a Yoga class?

I did once see a commercial for a stool softener or a help you poop pills that featured people playing ultimate and then talking about the product on the playing field...:doh:

Prep H will even get in on it and show a guy in a port-a-jon grabbing the tube out of his bag for some relief...:gross:

Be careful what you wish for...the genie taking your order might not understand English! ;)