• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

True Straight Distance Driver.

Loop

Par Member
Okay this is probably a topic that has been covered a lot. And quite possibly the short way to answer this would be: A Teebird.
But I'm not satisfied.
Yes I hear the 11xTBs are godlike, and straighter than Tiger Woods. But you cant really get them anywhere now can ya?

But anyways is there a true straight driver? And I mean a driver that goes straight when thrown flat, that doesnt flip or fade like crazy.

My experiences so far are:
-PD goes straight, insanely straight, but there is that godawful fade...But its $$$ on everything else.
-*TB goes straight...when it wants to...and on some days it flips like a redhead ex. Also it has the tendency of slipping out of hand prematurely, but that could just be me...Also when its new there is a lot of fade.
-Beefy TD goes straight, or flips, or doesnt come out of a lil hyzer like it usually does, a.k.a an unpredictable disc.
-TL goes straight, but flips really really easily, at least the new ones do that.
-Leopard is a bit too flippy for my taste.
-Valk too flippy.

But what about the following?
-Eagle? I Havent ever thrown one, but I hear it has tons of fade? This is probably the disc I´m most curious about, but is it going to be an unpredictable PD with the same fade?
-Stalker? Too short I hear...I already have MD2s. So probably not of use.
-Striker? Dont like the slanted rim tho...

What I want is probably an impossibility. A PD with no fade. :twisted:

Feel free to change my opinions, they're just my experiences. I´m usually wrong and my form is far from perfect.

I just want something for long tight wooded shots. And by long I mean 320' to 400' (if 1 meter = 3.2808399 feet).

The teebird excels at straight shots in that range more than any other disc, so if you don't like it, you're not gonna find anything better unless you can push a mid like a Buzzz out that far.

I use beat eagles and valks for that shot, but they don't go straight, you gotta hyzer flip them a little past flat for a nice tight s-curve. You likely need to season up your teebirds and pds or find something less stable that you can work better.

Actually if Im at my practice field I can usually toss Teebirds as far as anything else, they bomb if you have space to air them out.

As far as pure straightness goes the Force is hard to beat for me. It fades really hard though which can suck in some situations, but before it fades its so straight.

Most discs that get the best sistance will have a little turn in them. My favorite driver, the OLF, when thrown from hyzer can go dead straight, but sometimea it wants to S curve a little. At least with those when they flip they come back.

But anyways is there a true straight driver? And I mean a driver that goes straight when thrown flat, that doesnt flip or fade like crazy.

So many variables. Short answer is no. If you can learn how to throw a hyzer flip you have a better chance of a disc going far and straight with low fade, also great for low ceilings and tight woods.

All discs fade, but a disc you can throw flat with no turn is going to have a healthy fade. Especially true with a distance driver speed disc.

TB fades it ain't straight at all for me but i'm not a mega snapper. Leopard is the longest i'd call reasonably straight for me. Beast fades less than the next best thing high PLH Discmania S-Line Turning Driver out of the longer discs. Both are about as long. Lat 64 Flow fades a little more. When new Champ Valks fade too much and DX can turn as flippy as new Champs do after one hit. I don't have beat champ Valks to see if they lose the fade. They need hyzer flipping when new at 167 grams for me anyway. A 175 DX Valk when new didn't flip at all. It does not last :-(

I decided to give the TBs one more chance. Went to the local soccer field to do some testing. Decided to give the TBs a shot with my midrange throwing style.

Success! \o/

Threw em completely flat, and with a little less power, just like I throw my P-MD2s. And boy-howdy! These things go insanely far with such little power. It could be that my release and form is just much better when I don't throw hard. But still, almost jizzed in my pants. :eek:
Imagine my suprise to see both of the 171g TBs fly bullet straight to the fence, over the goal, on the other end of the soccer field. Without the fence they probably would have gone near 120m (393')...or even further. :shock:

What I learned today, in such a short time was:

1. I need to train more outside of the courses, just to get my driving technique better.
2. Throwing something with 70-80% power seems to go as far as 90-95% power. :?
3. TBs are, after all, the droids I´m looking for. :lol:
4. I need to watch all of the Star Wars movies again in the near future...

If you're throwing teebirds that far, you shouldn't have much trouble flipping up a seasoned PD (which won't fade hardly at all if you're hyzer flipping it and it is seasoned). For distance, you may try a star wraith (I've always gone for the domey ones). Again, you'd be flipping them slightly. At most, you'd get a slight tracking to the right and a subtle fade. Mine have always been dead straight though.

Mine would be Night Shift Orc but man wish they were just a stock then they'd be true Straight Distance Driver. I normally use PD or TB but also TP Cyclone is another one that is pretty Straight.

Loop said:
What I want is probably an impossibility. A PD with no fade. :twisted:

I've got one of these. In fact, it is a DGR stamp pink P-PD, quite beat up now. Its my roller and control turnover driver. Thrown with a generous heaping of hyzer, it comes up to flat and straight as a laser beam. It'll go 350' without much effort, the disc does all the work. It does not fade/hyzer out unless I purposely stall it (but every disc ever made will do that). It is my most beat up disc, and is also the most valuable disc in my arsenal.

Most distance discs are designed to have some healthy fade at the end. It increases predictability. A 400+ throw with no fade isn't exactly predictable, especially in Windy conditions. Chances are a disc like that would also lock onto lines, turn and burn, and never come back. Not exactly a disc I need in my bag TBH. But that's why you have trouble finding a distance disc that's "True Stable"

Keep in mind: often when you see pros throw ridiculously low straight long shots they're doing it mostly with speed. It's just that the disc is running into the ground before it gets to fade. I've seen plenty of shots like that with the Boss, Force, etc.... not straight discs. Of course if you want to throw a 400ft "laser beam" in this way you need the power to throw quite a bit farther normally (which I don't have). Plus if you misjudge a little you might have to deal with a skip or a worm burner or... I'll stick with the PD.

a viking is pretty darn straight. but the straightest driver I have ever thrown is the QJLS.

You are describing a skill rather than a disc. I can do this with several of my discs (p/sPDs, GL Flow), but it takes the perfect amount of snap/speed control/micro angle for each disc. I don't get it right with them every time, and when I'm sore or off there is no chance. This is a pro level skill we're talking about. There is not a disc that is just going to do this for you, and if you can do this with any disc you've got something.

discspeed said:
You are describing a skill rather than a disc.

That's what I've been thinking while reading this thread, also. I'm training this shot with Valkyries and Eagles to start. I think this falls into the category of Blake's "line shaping" drills.

Nice replies. Got a lot of info. :)
And these last two posts before mine probably are the ultimate truth.

So I´m gonna keep on training, and try to get straight shots done by skill rather than by a disc. 8)

Was suprised by my MD2s (again) today. Got a nice little backwind when driving, and these bad boys go so easily to 100m (320ish feet). And they certainly dont have any fade whatsoever. :twisted:

discspeed said:
You are describing a skill rather than a disc. I can do this with several of my discs (p/sPDs, GL Flow), but it takes the perfect amount of snap/speed control/micro angle for each disc. I don't get it right with them every time, and when I'm sore or off there is no chance. This is a pro level skill we're talking about. There is not a disc that is just going to do this for you, and if you can do this with any disc you've got something.

Or perhaps the coalition of skill, power and the right disc.

The field of romance suggests there exists the right person for everyone, that one in a million perfect mate.

In disc golf there is a disc which goes straight when thrown at a given power (obviously different discs for different power quotients) and with the requisite skill to throw that disc repeatedly flat and smooth and straight it will reveal itself to be...THE DISC. The True Straight Distance Driver.

Do not give up hope at finding this disc. It is out there. It is calling your name. It only needs to be found.

Mine is the Z Flash. By happenstance I aced with it yesterday in a tournament. Good luck finding yours.