• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trusted Reviewers???

I've played 15 of the top 25 and reviewed them all. That's where the bulk of my thumbs have come from. I've spent days at work reading reviews of great courses and dreaming of finding a way to get to them, so when I had a chance to drive across country and hit 6-7 of them, I was pretty excited.

I'll review any course I play, but I don't drive far out of my way to play bad ones. I do still want to enjoy disc golf!

@ Stardoggy, Your Flip City review is kind of the point i am getting at, its over 10% off your thumbs up and your Michigan reviews at almost 1/5th of your thumbs up and that's only 5 of 75. One can easily become a high level reviewer by just knowing the "HOMIE LOVE" areas like, Ludington/Flip MI area, Bucksnort/Phantom falls, and the Natti area just a few places off the top of my head.

But people like me who dissent somewhat from the homie love and only give 4.0 or less to Flip, Idlewild, and Phantom Falls, still get more thumbs up compared to other great courses I've played and/or written great reviews. It's especially prevalent with the frontpage Top 10 list. Those are the courses that get LOTS of publicity simply by being on the list. I've said it years ago - TOP 50 ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!!! Let's grow the sport and give due publicity to these gems all around the world, not just the popular Top 10! I feel Timg is being selfish and hoarding the publicity the 11-50 (or more) ranked courses could get if they were blatantly apparenet on the front page for the thousands of noobs or non-members who browse this site.

^ Fo' realz? :\

timg is being selfish? Lol!

You do realize you can easily pull up the top 50 courses, right?

I've said it years ago - TOP 50 ON THE FRONT PAGE!!!!!
I've also said something years ago. Button to a top 100 courses page on the front page. No courses actually displayed on it except for recent reviews.

I don't think that was his point. His point (and mine) is that having the Top 10 so prominently displayed gives them artificial attention, which it does, which makes them easy pickings for reviewers to give glowing reviews to for cheap homie thumbs, and get cheap TR status.

Perhaps if there were more courses displayed (his suggestion), or that they weren't displayed so prominently (my suggestion), whatever the top 50 is and their respective order might look a little differently. That, and there wouldn't be these super courses everyone had to review just so they could get 50 thumbs in a week.

Last edited:
If you review only the well known courses you also risk not becoming TR because of the hate thumbs.

Also you need to remember to be a TR you need a certain number of unique voters at each level.

I don't think that was his point. His point (and mine) is that having the Top 10 so prominently displayed gives them artificial attention, which it does, which makes them easy pickings for reviewers to give glowing reviews to for cheap homie thumbs, and get cheap TR status.

Who does this, though? :confused:

Is this a problem that could exist or a problem that does exist?

I mean, it's not like TR status actually does anything anyway so not sure why people would want to fake their way to it.

Who does this, though? :confused:
People who want a TR medal by their name. Seriously speaking, how many of those courses on the top ten list did you ever hear of prior to DGCR? How many did you want to play after joining DGCR? If in some alternate universe, there were ten other courses in their place, would you want to play those instead? Once you saw reviewing one of them got you a whole bunch of thumbs, wouldn't you like to go review another one?

Is this a problem that could exist or a problem that does exist?
My money is on does exist considering this subject was hotly debated on here even 5-6 years ago, and because if you took a review count of the top 10-20 courses, vs the next 80, you'd definitely see a pattern.

I mean, it's not like TR status actually does anything anyway so not sure why people would want to fake their way to it.
In which case, why have TR status in the first place?

TR filter is the ultimate goal IMO.

Also, LOL at Timg being selfish. El oh el.

@ Scarpy:

Again, is this a problem?

Are people really sad enough human beings to really care how many thumbs a "top 10" course is going to net them? And then just play the courses they think will net them the most? LOL.

I mean, 2015 people....get with it. :\

Edit:

I imagine it was originally seen as some sort of "digital reward" for reviewing, back when the site was young. Personally, I couldn't care less about TR-ness...everyone's review counts the same regardless of how peer review shakes out.

Last edited:
^ Fo' realz? :\

timg is being selfish? Lol!

Twas a bit of an embellishment. I feel that the actual course name DIRECTLY ON THE HOMEPAGE is like advertising. Equating selfishness with NOT advertising more courses. Not in a personal way, but in a site owner control kinda way. It absolutely means more to have the course displayed prominently on the front page, opposed to a link to top 50 or whatever.

Twas an embellishment. I feel that the actual course name DIRECTLY ON THE HOMEPAGE is like advertising. Equating selfishness with NOT advertising more courses. Not in a personal way, but in a site owner control kinda way. Don't get caught up in the terminology, omit 'selfish' from my original comment. As the site owner, he is choosing to not publicize more than the Top 10 courses. It absolutely means more to have the course displayed prominently on the front page, opposed to some link to top 50 (or top whatever).

Y'all are looking at this webpage as users of the page who know how to navigate it. Step outside the box of your defined world and look at it from the perspective of a first time visitor to this site, or maybe a property owner interested in developing disc golf and wanting to see what good courses are like. If there were more actual courses listed front page, there would without a doubt be more publicity for those courses.

Seriously speaking, how many of those courses on the top ten list did you ever hear of prior to DGCR?
None, but I hadn't heard of any other courses outside of my immediate area either.

How many did you want to play after joining DGCR? If in some alternate universe, there were ten other courses in their place, would you want to play those instead?

well all of them ideally. but i wanted to play other courses in the top 100 or so just as much. if other courses were in the top ten i would still want to play, well, all of them. if i have the opportunity to play a top 100 course i will.

Once you saw reviewing one of them got you a whole bunch of thumbs, wouldn't you like to go review another one?

not enough to specifically travle to it if i wasn't in a reasonable vicinity

My money is on does exist considering this subject was hotly debated on here even 5-6 years ago, and because if you took a review count of the top 10-20 courses, vs the next 80, you'd definitely see a pattern.

well then prove it. pull the numbers. see if the top 10-20 have a higher review count relative to played count than the next 80. or that the top 10-20 have a higher thumb per review. i doubt there is a significant correlation

so that when reading reviews we can filter out the rest

It absolutely means more to have the course displayed prominently on the front page, opposed to some link to top 50 (or top whatever).

If the front page listed, say, the Top 50, in presumably small print, would #43 get that much more attention? At the most, in might matter to the bubble courses---numbers 11 through 15---who are just outside the Top 10.

But how much does it matter, beyond ego, anyway?

A course with a 4+ rating is going to draw local and regional players. A top 10 course might draw a few travelers from across the country---but would it be enough to make a significant economic impact? And a lot of the folks who travel great distances to play those top-10 courses, manage to play any of the top-50 in the area or on the way, anyway.

IIRC Biscoe said it made a big difference when his course was in the top ten.

no, I actually have trouble believing it happened to you. Tim would just delete your review if it was offensive enough to edit.

I assume you are referring to Bud Pell. You got so many thumbs down because it is a weak review and it also talks as much about other reviews as it does the course.

I too would have rather just seen a review taken down altogether. However, it was about my Corbin Park review. And the fact that a car was parked by a tee pad with the occupants having sex. I found it important enough that someone with kids might not want to expose them to that type of a discreet park. .... The Bud Pell review is a whole different matter. I was just disappointed that it did not live up to all of the expectations that the locals had made it out to be.

I too would have rather just seen a review taken down altogether. However, it was about my Corbin Park review. And the fact that a car was parked by a tee pad with the occupants having sex. I found it important enough that someone with kids might not want to expose them to that type of a discreet park. .... The Bud Pell review is a whole different matter. I was just disappointed that it did not live up to all of the expectations that the locals had made it out to be.

Here's what Billy wrote in his review:
**** Are you kidding me??!!! These reviews get edited & shortened because someone doesn't like to hear the truth about their course? DGcourse - why encourage reviews if you don't want fair and honest opinions? YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO REWRITE A REVIEW. EITHER DELETE IT ENTIRELY, OR LEAVE IT OUT THERE FOR ALL TO SEE. *****

You threaten others and wonder why they might have a problem with it?

Last edited:
snap.jpg

wow. that's what you consider a discreet park? and you want to expose kids to a park where people are even less discreet? yikes

Latest posts