• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Trying Prodigy Again

jchoate7

Eagle Member
I remember when Prodigy first came out I was super excited about their plastics because I LOVED the feel of them. However, after purchasing a few I found that the consistency among the discs was TERRIBLE. This was also 5 years ago and I was just starting out playing so I don't know if it was the Indian or the arrow... Has Prodigy fixed this issue? Or was it never an issue to begin with?

Anyways, fast forward to now. I just put in a large Prodigy order (I got a nice bonus at work this year :D). I'm wondering how the lineup I built (purchased) is going to reflect my current lineup.

Current Lineup:
Judge
Harp
Core
Verdict
Justice
Underworld
Saint
XXX
Sword
Enforcer

Prodigy Purchase:
PA3
A1
M2
M4
F3
H3 V2
D1
D3

I obviously will not know how everything will fly until it comes but any early insight is greatly appreciated!

They all fly like discs. Prodigy is fine, all discs are fine. There will be subtle differences, and you'll have to break them in obviously but it's definitely the archer not the arrow. However, having the right (best for you) arrow can't hurt. So whether it be Prodigy, Discraft, some Trilogy brand or RPM discs they all fly well when you throw them well.

They all fly like discs. Prodigy is fine, all discs are fine. There will be subtle differences, and you'll have to break them in obviously but it's definitely the archer not the arrow. However, having the right (best for you) arrow can't hurt. So whether it be Prodigy, Discraft, some Trilogy brand or RPM discs they all fly well when you throw them well.

lololol just dont comment if its not insightful. commenting just to see yourself talk.

On a real note, If you enjoy watching jomez. Try to find some videos with Seppo Paju in them and watch the beautiful shots he throws with his D3s and M4s

I like the A1 it's like a zone but slower.

The ones you picked out look good. Give it a rip a report back. I make mono company bags from time time as funds allow and it can be a hoot.

I've done Innova, Westside and am working on MVP for 2019. Maby will revisit Prodigy if you report back loving it.

Jolt - The reason I went with the A1 and not the A2 was because I was hoping the A1 will be able to fill the Justice role in my current setup. I was actually going to go M1 but I watched a few review videos and the general consensus on the M1 was that it was very uncomfortable in the hand. F1 is definetely on the list of future buys to fill the role of my XXX.

Moose33 - Will do!

lololol just dont comment if its not insightful. commenting just to see yourself talk.

On a real note, If you enjoy watching jomez. Try to find some videos with Seppo Paju in them and watch the beautiful shots he throws with his D3s and M4s

Lolololol he's right though. Get off that Prodigy dick. They're just pieces of plastic regardless of manufacturer.

The biggest difference I can tell between an A1 and A2 is feel, the A1 is beaded.
I've always described my A2 as a baby Justice.

Sword=Tern=D3 with some very minor caveats

Not all M2s are created equal. Flat 400G M2s are really straight with a fade at the end. Domey 750 M2s are very overstable but still go a long way.

The H3v2s I've thrown are like beat in Thunderbirds.
I haven't found anything in the Prodigy line that glides and turns like the Saint.

The M4 is a good shot replacement for the Core I like the M4 much better. The M4 isn't so touchy.

M1 is definitely not a Justice type disc. It glides a lot more than a Justice and isn't near as dumpy.

For the same shots that other use a Harp I use an A4.

D1 is similar to an XCal, but a tick faster. Its pretty overstable, but will actually fly flat for a bit before fading hard. Will meet most overstable needs. Probably won't work in extreme headwinds though.

D2 is a great fast, neutral driver. Similar to a Boss or Nuke. It has a little high speed turn and good glide.

D3 has great glide and some high speed turn. Similar to a Shryke. Very long disc if thrown properly.

I like your proposed Prodigy lineup better than your current lineup! (I am NOT saying your current lineup is bad.).

The Pa-3 is an excellent putter (I prefer 350g plastic), and I see why you chose the others.

You might consider adding an F5 or even F7 to the lineup.

I have no insight but on a "real" note, go watch Jomez? OK.

If you want to see the M4 in all it's absolute glory, watch Cale Leiviska throw it. He's a magician with it.

If you really like your M2, try it in 350g. It's a better KC Pro.

Here's a decent video to see some of these discs in action. Chris Dickerson and Chumley are both Prodigy sponsored pros so they talk about each other's discs a lot. This is a great course too.

350g pa1's are the best addition to my bag I years. I still buy too many discs, bit they just do the same thing as a disc already in the bag. Driving with those pa1's has changed how I play. If the hole is 300' or shorter, I throw a pa1.

I have a 350g a2 as well, but I hardly bag or throw it. I'd probably like it better in the premium plastic. The low profile and grippy plastic just does not feel right.

The PA3s I got are 350g. I putt with Prime Judges now. Im hoping for a slightly grippier and lower profile feel in the 350g PA3s.

It sounds like there are a lot of A2 throwers out there. I used to bag a Suspect for the longest time. For those of you who have thrown both an A2 and a Suspect, how would their flights compare?

Could someone provide a direct comparison of a 400g A1 vs a Lucid Justice?

All of the plastic in my shipment is either 400g or 750g excpet for the PA3s.

Jolt - The reason I went with the A1 and not the A2 was because I was hoping the A1 will be able to fill the Justice role in my current setup. I was actually going to go M1 but I watched a few review videos and the general consensus on the M1 was that it was very uncomfortable in the hand. F1 is definetely on the list of future buys to fill the role of my XXX.

Moose33 - Will do!

F1 won't be overstable enough to fill the XXX role.

Look for an original either H1 or H2 for some overstability, or the new H1v2 if you want it to go a little farther

Speaking as a relatively new, relatively old, and relatively low arm speed player:

The F7 (in 400g Glimmer) is a terrific disc. For me, it's about 220'-250' with a reliable smooth fade at the end. Then higher I throw it, the more dramatic a hyzer line - so it's pretty good for shorter dogleg rights. I bought the special edition direct from Prodigy with the "ACE" imprint. It's a great looking disc.

The A4 (300) has a specific place in my bag. If I throw it hard enough to flip up flat, it's straight as an arrow for about 180'-200', and then a dramatic dive to the left, almost straight down to the ground. The 300 plastic is grippy - and the disc doesn't seem to do anything but hit the ground and stay put!. So if the pin is tucked left, this is a great tactical disc for me. The danger is if I don't throw it hard enough (as I said, I don't have terrific arm speed) - it will dive left at about 50' and lie there, laughing at me.

Thanks HyooMac. I still havent figured out what would fill the roll of an Underworld. Seems like that F7 might fit perfect. Your review on the A4 intrigues me, Im going to see how this first set of discs goes and I might consider that in the future.

I'd like to think of myself having a larger arm. My RHBH hits about 425 and my RHFH I can reach just over 450. My game struggles come from putting.

Latest posts