• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to avoid disc overlap

My Bag

It only works for me...but, I carry:

167g champ Starfire...overstable driver
167g dx Banshee...overstable fairway driver, plus it's great for overhand

167g dx Valk...stable driver
167g dx Eagle...stable fairway driver

150g x-out champ Sidewinder...understable driver, and awesome overhand
167g dx leopard...understable fairway driver

I have a theme going here...

167g dx Roc...everything midrange
150g dx stingray...hard spikes to the left(throw forehand) midrange
170g dx first run Skeeter....working this thing in to complement my Roc

170g Pro Pig....right turn approach(forehand)
171g Star Skeeter....everything else including putting...my new putter

I also have 2 Tee Birds that are close to being in my bag, I can make them do almost anything...Trying to figure out which slot they earn in my bag.

if you want a GREAT mid range get a BUZZZ made by discraft. i love my roc, but once i got my hands on that buzzz.........YEEEEE HAW!

if you want a GREAT mid range get a BUZZZ made by discraft. i love my roc, but once i got my hands on that buzzz.........YEEEEE HAW!

Oh boy, here come the fanboys. :rolleyes:

No seriously, I have both a roc and a buzzz. I like to throw long putts with the roc, so I haven't bothered getting a "faster" putter. I can't decide whether I like the roc or the buzzz better. The roc seems more versatile since I can't get the buzzz to do anything but go dead straight. I like that for backhand throws, but I love the touch my roc gives me on forehand approaches. So I say there's enough love to go around.

I also have a Cro mid and a Coyote mid. The main reason the Coyote is still in my bag is it's my overhand approach disc. That makes 4 mids, which isn't quite orthodox according to the article, but meh. I haven't quite been evangelized into the minimalism camp. Maybe time will take me there.

Just tomahawks? Or do they work well on thumbers aswell?

I can only make it work for a tomahawk. I assume I'm doing something wrong because I can't make a thumber work on anything I've tried. BTW, the x-out sidewinder flies different from the other 2 sidewinders I have. I know the weight is different, but I don't notice as big a difference in the different weights of Valks I have.

Last edited:
I can only make it work for a tomahawk. I assume I'm doing something wrong because I can't make a thumber work on anything I've tried. BTW, the x-out sidewinder flies different from the other 2 sidewinders I have. I know the weight is different, but I don't notice as big a difference in the different weights of Valks I have.

Ah, I had heard they were great for tommys, didnt seem stable enough to handle a good thumber, but wasnt sure. Orcs and Predators do great on thumbers if you have any might want to give them a sling.

That makes 4 mids, which isn't quite orthodox according to the article, but meh. I haven't quite been evangelized into the minimalism camp. Maybe time will take me there.
So long as you have defined roles for each of your discs you are OK.

I remember the moment I converted to minimalism...I was on the old hole 8 at Sunset Hills looking at the crappy shot I just made with a Deuce I almost never threw. I threw it on that particular hole because it was in my bag and (according to the info from Discraft) it was good for turnover approach shots. I realized at that moment that the disc was not going to magically turn over and execute the shot by itself, and I had at least 4 other discs in my bag I could have taken that shot with. So why was I taking a shot with a disc I had basically zero knowledge of or confidence in? Because I was stupid enough to buy one and put it in my bag? There were a bunch of discs that came out of my bag after that round.

No putter, 178 ESP buzz-all around disc, 175 champ beast understable, 169 star tee rex overstable, 169 ESP Surge beat up understable-glide, FLX Surge straight

My Crowded Bag

My bag is slowly becoming less and less crowded, but here it is at the moment:

Drivers
Understable Driver - 162g Star Beast/170g Star Destroyer
Stable Control Driver - 166g Star Wraith/150g Star Teebird
Moderately Overstable Driver - 172g Star Orc/171g Champ Eagle
Very Overstable Driver - 170g Champ Starfire/175g Champ Orc

Midranges
Understable - 167g Star TL
Stable - 175g Star Cro
Overstable - 174g Champ Panther

Putter
The One & Only - 175g Black Magic

I do a lot of travelling with my sales job. I have a small collapsible bag that I put in my carry on luggage that I can use to keep beer cold during the day, and play disc in the evening. I can only fit seven discs in my bag (though I have been travelling with five for a long time). I tend to stick with higher weights in case I experience high wind. Here's what I had on my recent trip:

175 Warlock
170 Champ. TL (fairway driver)
175 Champ. Boss (overstable distance)
172 Champ. Wraith (s-curvey distance)
169 Champ. Orc (stable distance)
175 DX Orc (for risky water shots that I may never find, or rainy days -Orc is my fav. disc))
175 Champ. Monarch (understable distance)

I say add the Pro Pig. It will handle monster winds and is a good sidearm approach disc within 100'.

I love the pig.... a few days ago I flicked it 250 feet and parked it for a birdy. It also works great for flick shots from shorter distances of course.

I do a lot of travelling with my sales job. I have a small collapsible bag that I put in my carry on luggage that I can use to keep beer cold during the day, and play disc in the evening. I can only fit seven discs in my bag (though I have been travelling with five for a long time). I tend to stick with higher weights in case I experience high wind. Here's what I had on my recent trip:

175 Warlock
170 Champ. TL (fairway driver)
175 Champ. Boss (overstable distance)
172 Champ. Wraith (s-curvey distance)
169 Champ. Orc (stable distance)
175 DX Orc (for risky water shots that I may never find, or rainy days -Orc is my fav. disc))
175 Champ. Monarch (understable distance)
No room in there for a Roc?