• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to learn Fh

alvinp48

Hi all, I have been playing for about a month. I have a decent LHBH and I am trying to develop a FH shot. I cannot get any snap as every time I try to throw it FH my bicep feels like its coming off the bone. I know that this is a form issue somewhere but I don't know what to do. I really want to develop a FH game but right now it hurts like hell. Anybody have any advice. I drive mostly with a star wraith when trying to throw FH.

Hi all, I have been playing for about a month. I have a decent LHBH and I am trying to develop a FH shot. I cannot get any snap as every time I try to throw it FH my bicep feels like its coming off the bone. I know that this is a form issue somewhere but I don't know what to do. I really want to develop a FH game but right now it hurts like hell. Anybody have any advice. I drive mostly with a star wraith when trying to throw FH.

If your biceps hurts I think you're using too much arm and not enough wrist. Get a friend to play catch with a frisbee or ultimate disc (or even a putter), and throw nothing but forehand at about 80-100ft apart. You'll learn you can do better with a lot of wrist snap, but less arm.

Then play catch with a tree between you, and practice going around both sides of the tree, learn both hyzer and anhyzer lines.

Freestyle and ultimate discs are really understable and it will pay off if you learn with understable discs. Then you can throw anhyzers and hyzer flips forehand, carving some really unique lines through the woods.

Look for some tournament video of Jeremy Koling. His hyzer flip forehands in the woods are awesome. He has a great backhand too, but chooses the hyzer flip forehand for right-to-left shots on a slightly different flight pattern. Another one you can find in a lot of tourney videos is Ville Piippo from Finland. He throws no backhands, so you can watch how uses both overstable and understable plastic to get discs turning either direction.

Just watch as many videos as you can.

A few tips that I've found useful:

You say you bicep hurts. And the other comments are correct, you're probably over-extending or using too much arm. I try and keep my elbow closer to my side, and follow through by pointing towards the target.

If you are rolling your wrist over and throwing worm burners, the above post was a great idea to get used to learning the sensitivities of throwing an understable disc forehand.

Also try making sure your palm is facing up when you finish your release. You'll quickly notice if you are rolling your wrist this way.

So...

1) Elbow closer to your body to prevent bicep strain.
2) Palm up when you release.

There's a few grips I've found to produce more snap, too. Just PM me if you'd like a picture of them.

Another one you can find in a lot of tourney videos is Ville Piippo from Finland. He throws no backhands, so you can watch how uses both overstable and understable plastic to get discs turning either direction.
I've been working on a semblance of a reliable forehand and found that copying some of Piippo's form has helped me, I think, get on the right track. Keeping my off hand on the disc for about half the backswing helps keep the elbow in and makes me think about leading the turn with that off shoulder. Otherwise, I can't keep it flat. I feel like this is a base that I can work on adding things to to get distance.

OH, and the hammer pound drill has been super-helpful for me.

i too am a LHBH player trying to laern forehand. I can do anhyzer shots pretty well, but forehand shots are very useful to have down in general. The best way to develope imo is watch, learn, practice, repeat. Watch videos, players, etc on how they throw. Learn proper techniques on throwing forehand, and practice those techniques. Keep working on your game and have fun!

Latest posts