• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tunnelshots Avery Jenkins

I'll watch it when I get home, but I'll say this. For as much flak as he gets about his play in the woods, he's still probably much better than most of us. And he is a good teacher, so even if tunnel shots aren't a skill he hasn't perfected himself, it doesn't mean he can't teach the right strategies and techniques.

The best coaches aren't always the best players and vice versa.

I'll watch it when I get home, but I'll say this. For as much flak as he gets about his play in the woods, he's still probably much better than most of us. And he is a good teacher, so even if tunnel shots aren't a skill he hasn't perfected himself, it doesn't mean he can't teach the right strategies and techniques.

The best coaches aren't always the best players and vice versa.

Very true. I'm sure he is infinitely better than I am on any shot. I just kinda find it funny Innova choose someone with such a notorious allergy to woods to do this video.

Good video - I'm discovering the importance of the fan grip.

Avery has won in Raleigh.

Completely ignoring the field that year (Feldberg, Hammock, Haney, Jernigan, Schweberger, Johansen and many others), you are talking about courses that don't fit him at all.

They played Buckhorn, which except for the two hyzers over the lake, is completely wooded. And they played Zebulon which is about 50% wooded.

I actually played with Avery two rounds that year - one round at both courses. And I had the same thought process as everyone else - "this guy is gonna struggle here." But I tell you what, his touch was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a traditional power thrower so an Avair with so much touch. I even mentioned it to him after the round how impressed I was with his touch.

He has the game to compete in the woods. His worst enemy is his mental approach to wooded golf.

I just kinda find it funny Innova choose someone with such a notorious allergy to woods to do this video.

Notorious for that among whom? A few people on the internet who like to pile on him on message boards, largely because it makes them feel a tiny bit better about their own games? Avery is a former world champion. There aren't a whole lot of active players who would be more qualified than him to teach people about disc golf.

Notorious for that among whom? A few people on the internet who like to pile on him on message boards, largely because it makes them feel a tiny bit better about their own games? Avery is a former world champion. There aren't a whole lot of active players who would be more qualified than him to teach people about disc golf.

26th in the world, rated 1019, former world champion... I could take him in the woods.:rolleyes:

Interesting choice of holes to demonstrate a tunnel shot. To me, that is an open shot with a chute for the last few feet. I suppose it was used for the screwed up depth perception that cameras give.

To me, the challenge of most tunnel shots is what is forced on me in the first 50-100'....navigating narrow gaps and the fear of the repercussions of missing those gaps. After disc selection, its all about being smooth, throwing at no more than 80-85% power, and focusing on hitting a spot in the air around 75' down the fairway.

That said, when I am confident I do not even "see" all the early trees early in the fairway. So it the hole might as well be the one shown. And, his advice is solid.

My guide to tunnel shots:

1. If its safer to turn, grab a comet; safer to fade, grab a buzzz (or Roc)
2. Find the safest alley
3. Aim low and don't overpower the disc
4. Hope for the best

I'm not disagreeing with you on his ability as a teacher or golfer. All I'm mentioning is his "reputation". I've never made an opinion on that as I've never seen him golf in person. On videos I have seen, it does seem he losses his cool on some of the more tightly wooded shots.

I liked what he said in the video. The idea of guiding the disc opposed to throwing it is something I'll be thinking about. I'm terrible in the woods, so I'll take advice from about anyone, especially a former world champ.

Needed to see more throwing. Great descriptions, but that was the whole video, and two drives that we didn't get to see clearly/ without a number of angle edits.

Having seen him play in person, I've witnessed him make bad decisions and blame the course when it didn't execute like he wanted. The worst is trying to go over the top on 10 at Idlewild when there was a fairly dense ceiling. That has nothing to do with my game or defending the course. It has everything to do with seeing him make a bad decision and blame something else for the outcome besides his own poor judgment.

That said, I appreciated the video as it's much better than his big distance video. I agree that he (I would put him on the same level as Feldberg) is extremely qualified to teach about disc golf. He's passionate about the topic and is able to break the key points to successful implementation. I would like to see more videos like this from Spin and Avery.

Avery's a really nice guy and from what I've heard, a very good teacher as well. Plus, he has the clean cut, good guy look that make him a great spokesperson for Innova (first) and DG (second). The fact that he's a very, very good overall player, speaking well in a well produced video is nothing but good.

Although, if you watch the video it looks like he's about 2 minutes off of a fat bowl. Maybe the sun is directly in his eyes, and appearances are deceiving me, but my first impression was "dang he looks baked!"

He won the Vibram too. They got a few trees planted

Did I ever tell you about the time Avery and I went horseback riding, but there weren't any horses around? Anyway, Avery throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn't ya know it, my stamina increased with each day, and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Avery decides to enter me into the Breeders Cup under the name Turkish Delight. And I'm running in second place, and I'm running, and I break my ankle. So anyway, they're about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, Don't shoot him, he's a human.

step one: break in a roc for two years
step two: ?????
step three: profit!

Did I ever tell you about the time Avery and I went horseback riding, but there weren't any horses around? Anyway, Avery throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn't ya know it, my stamina increased with each day, and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Avery decides to enter me into the Breeders Cup under the name Turkish Delight. And I'm running in second place, and I'm running, and I break my ankle. So anyway, they're about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, Don't shoot him, he's a human.

God bless that person in the crowd!

Latest posts