• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turbo Putting Pro's

sillybizz

Course bagger and Bjork super fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Being a player who uses a turbo putt almost exclusively, I was wondering if any top pro's in the sport use a turbo and what discs they use for it as I am curious.

I know John McCray is a sick turbo putter. I have seen video footage of him turbo putting at least 3 times. Not sure what disc he uses, just checked the gateway website and it doesnt say, maybe a wizard. I dont think he turbo putts that often.

I've seen some pro make a nice turbo putt on some DG video I found on youtube. I don't think it was his primary style but he nailed it. That's about all I can contribute. =l

Silly, do you have any tips for turbo? I don't think I'd use it exclusively but there are definitely situations that call for it.

I had some success with it but around 25-30 feet I struggled to get enough power on it.

I've seen it in action a few times. It's certainly an interesting technique, and might have a real advantage when putting to an elevated basket. Even tried it, but I can't get a decent grip to generate much spin or consistent release. I have a feeling that turbo putting favors larger hands and softer plastic. Then there's always the no longer PDGA approved Turbo Putt:

Attachments

• turbo putt.JPG
    turbo putt.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 19
Steve Slasor turbo putts.

So do I, but my consistency over about 30 feet is just cr@p!

to throw the turbo- roll your wrist as if you are trying to throw a spiral with a football, keep it in close to your ear.

I've seen it in action a few times. It's certainly an interesting technique, and might have a real advantage when putting to an elevated basket. Even tried it, but I can't get a decent grip to generate much spin or consistent release. I have a feeling that turbo putting favors larger hands and softer plastic. Then there's always the no longer PDGA approved Turbo Putt:
try flipping the disc over(bottom up)

Why don't you tell us what you've had success with. I've been working on mine lately but just with the Aviars and Soft Magnet I have.

when i was actually doing it more i was most successful with sharp-edged overstable drivers like the banshee- they tend to be so torque resistant that it takes one of the variables out of the equation imo.

when i was actually doing it more i was most successful with sharp-edged overstable drivers like the banshee- they tend to be so torque resistant that it takes one of the variables out of the equation imo.

Nice idea John. I'll have to try that sometime.

The turbo is such a key shot ot have. Just for those one or two holes on a course in your area where you might end up in tall brush not far from the basket. It's a shame to miss those because you've never tried a turbo putt before tourney day.

Im gonna have to try that bi-moto putt! I've been playing around with shots similar to a free throw in basketball, but haven't found anything that works for me.

Im gonna have to try that bi-moto putt! I've been playing around with shots similar to a free throw in basketball, but haven't found anything that works for me.

yeah, he sure made that look easy, I'll think I'll have to try it out also. I couldn't do much worse from 10 meters and out.

Worth a try...

try flipping the disc over(bottom up)

Thanks for the suggestion Omega - will see how that works.

As Justin said, it's a nice shot to have in your bag of tricks, and important to have done it before you actually need it.

As Justin said, it's a nice shot to have in your bag of tricks, and important to have done it before you actually need it.

I feel so validated. I think I'll leave work early as there's clearly nothing more to accomplish today ;)

Though I'm far from being an old pro at it, the one bit I could add to Biscoe's advice would be to think about ending the motion with your thumb up in the air and your index finger pointing at the target. Similar to making a gun with your fingers like when you were a little kid. It's not exactly that form but when I started thinking about the motion in that way my putts really got consistant.

I will echo those that say it's nice to have in your bag of tricks, but shouldn't be your primary putting style. I practice it in my backyard, over some tomato plants that make a normal putting form impossible at a distance of about 20 ft from the pin. It has definitely saved me some strokes on the course when presented with a similar situation.

I find the keys to being good at it are:
1) having big hands
2) exaggerating your follow through

Saw some dude at the course last weekend that used this as his primary putting style, and was trying to teach his lady friend (obviously a first timer at the course) to putt the same way he does. The girl had tiny hands and couldn't ever get the disc to stabilize. She was VERY frustrated. We kinda felt bad for her that she was being instructed to putt like this, and my wife even wanted to go over and show her how to putt with a normal style. We figured it was best not to stick our noses in though...

soft apx, it works the best for me, i've tried a range of putters and i find the thin rimed deep discs like the challenger and rattler (the ones with a frisbee like design) don't work as well as a sharper edged putter like the APX, also the APX is the right amount of stiffness to work, i would guess that a magnet should work well too.

p.s. The turbo is awesome for death putts, if you miss you aren't going to fly to far, and on hills it will land flat and the risk of rolling is minimal, it has saved me many times from having a really hard comeback shot... I also use the turbo putt interchangeably with my normal putt when i feel like my traditional putt isn't working for me on that day

Aviars and XD's for me. Elbow in close and finish pointing at the basket. John McCray is a master at it. I don't use it very often and do much better with it in the backyard than I do on the course. One last thing to keep in mind, it fades opposite a normal putt at the end of the longer runs so you have to factor that in. While I am at it, I will put in a plug for the XD. That is one crazy straight putter, decent midrange and even a potential driver on some holes.