• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Turnover mid, Tursus, Flying Squirrel?

Squirrilah Fish

Birdie Member
I've been through a few of these, liked the Fuse, but found it to be inconsistent. Settled on the Flying Squirrel which I love, but I just heard of this disc called the Tursas.

Thoughts?

I really like the tursas. I use it quite a bit for understable duties. Hyzer flips very nicely and as with all westside stuff - glides for days. No experience with the squirrel to compare but I'd say it's comparable to a Fuse

Both are good choices. My buddy has a squirrel and it's not a bad disc at all. My tursas sh!ts on the squirrel though. Ime anyway. It's just so perfectly slightly seasoned that I can put it on any line and it does the rest on its own.

I think I'm going to check it out, this guy wants to trade me for an original stamp Echo star teebird, I don't need it so why not.

I love my Flying Squirrel, it's just a little too long sometimes.

tursas is a touch more stable than the squirrel. I had a fuse but the glide would get me into trouble, it would blow by the target by 80 feet to the right every time. my 169 tournament tursas is very predictable and controllable. you cant rip it, just a gentle snap and watch it fly. as much as I love my truth, verdict, and claymore, the tursas is the most fun to throw. I will trade it for that freedom. lol

Tursus is good, very much like an Antidote(which is like a slightly less understable at low speeds than a flying squirrel). If you have a hard time getting your hands on as many squirrels in the color and weight you like the Tursus could replace it.

I love my Tursas. I have 2 TP with a VIP on the way. It flips with ease and turns smoothly. I really like rolling them or throwing flick annys with it as well. It's such a great versatile disc. I would recommend the Tursas to anyone looking for a turnover mid.

i really enjoyed throwing a tursas for like the 3 throws i got with it. it is very versatile in the woods and it was aaaaaaaaalmost too understable for my liking. it was perfect for finesse lines and i even had a blast throwing high hyzerflips uphill tunnels and whatnot. fun to watch thing go up, up, up, then flatten and tuuuuuuuuuuurn. it turns hard but smooth IMO. never thrown a flying squirrel myself but the tursas seems like it would lend itself to good rollers; it has a thickish rim which felt nice.

I really like the Crosslap Lucky for this spot, but I think the discs you mentioned would be fine, too.

The Tursas absolutely turns consistently for me. I have to second what cheese dog said. You can't crank this disc (or most westside discs). Has to be thrown smooth

The Tursas absolutely turns consistently for me. I have to second what cheese dog said. You can't crank this disc (or most westside discs). Has to be thrown smooth

Sounds like what I'm looking for. The Fkying squirrel has to be thrown semi hard, and usually ends up 20-50' past the basket. If I power down (which I HATE doing, powering down is not good for my form) then it doesn't turn right, and I can't get my putters to turn at that distance without dumping.

I just played around with a new Tursas today. Close to max weight and that thing was turning like crazy out of the box. 30* hyzer flips to flat then tracks right at <300 ft power. Barely comes back at the end.

Also, the Tursas doesn't have a bead like the squirrel, which makes it feel better in the hand (for me anyway).

I've only felt a few Flying Squirrels and they were much like a Comet in my hand -- as I recall. I do throw Comets btw.

for me the tursas goes to the end of my bag as it is an under stable mid, don't use it a lot but I am glad its there.

I've only felt a few Flying Squirrels and they were much like a Comet in my hand -- as I recall. I do throw Comets btw.

I threw Comets for a couple years and currently throw Flying Squirrels (even threw it today). They (Squirrels) don't have beads. Comets absolutely do though.

Not trying to be disrespectful. Just trying to keep the information accurate.

Thanks for the note. I'll just say the Tursas is one of the best feeling discs in my bag.

(and I definitely don't want to start another bead/no bead discussion ... LOL)

Latest posts