• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover vs. Forehand

Do you turn your disc over or forehand it?

• Total voters
I'd encourage everyone to work on an opposite spin shot (forehand, opposite hand, chickenwing) to complement their backhand. For right bending shots where there's trouble (O.B.) on the left a RHFH *should* provide less opportunity to find the hazard. Usually that risk is limited to overshooting the turn. If you make the bend and skip it'll normally be toward the target. With the backhand annie you can make the turn, but if you have a little too much nose down you get the dreaded roll left.

As always, you should throw what your most comfortable with, but if you can master both deliveries you'll likely find that it saves you strokes in the long run.

There's a little bit of truth to that at the very top level. However when I play tournaments and have more accurate drives 100' further than the rest of my card FH, it'd be hard for any of them to make that argument.
People mostly feel that way because the people who are at the top levels are BH dominant, but I urge you to watch Geoff Bennett play and not reconsider.

I believe it was the second time I went disc golfing, I was playing with a friend and he suggested I try a forehand drive. Once I did that, I never looked back. For me it was far easier to control, and would generate far more power. But when I throw a baseball or something similar, I tend to throw side-arm, so throwing a disc forehand seemed pretty natural to my mind. I think that the main reason most people throw BH is because we've all grown up throwing your average Frisbee, BH...so when you start disc golfing it's only natural to throw BH right away...I know I did. It probably plays to my advantage that I tried the forehand throw as early on as I did so then I didn't grow used to throwing BH.

I throw a RHBH anhyzer shot most of the time when I need a disc to go to the right unless I'm forced to throw a forehand by a tree or something.

As far as throwing a turnover shot (allowing the disc to do the work of turning right instead of throwing an anhyzer), I've played some holes that definitely call for that shot. That's when I use my Dragon or Sidewinder.

Latest posts