• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Twin Cities area course vandalized by idiots protesting new user fees

scarpfish

Resident Grouch
Gold level trusted reviewer
Stuff like this makes a lot of the folks who play our game look like entitlement oriented idiots.

http://www.startribune.com/local/we...ks7PYDiaK7DUvDE7aL_V_BD77:DiiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

Sometime between the close of business Tuesday night and daylight Wednesday, someone painted the words "I pay taxes, why pay for the course" on the back of the trailer owned by Fairway Flyerz, the city-approved vendor collecting the fees.

The words "Free" along with expletives were spray-painted on the front door and windows, said Brian Snelson, a company spokesman.

This just reasserts my opinion that "my taxes pay for this" is just an excuse used by lazy people who want someone else to pay for their fun.

I'll pay-to-play as soon as they charge for the swings, slide, monkey bars, merry-go-round, or teeter tooter.

most of the time when a course is pay to play, the funds go to improving courses such as getting new baskets and installing concrete tee-pads. Paying to play is what keeps many noobs off of courses as well. Paying to play helps the sport alot.

Stuff like this makes a lot of the folks who play our game look like entitlement oriented idiots.

This just reasserts my opinion that "my taxes pay for this" is just an excuse used by lazy people who want someone else to pay for their fun.

I agree, unfortunately there's people like that everywhere. As a subdivision trustee I see a lot of it.

What a bunch of ass hats.

While I dont condone this, I wonder how much of a cut the Fairway Flyerz get? I think I would need to see some kind of course improvement before deciding to start paying to play. If they would make improvements or do things like keep the fairways groomed and t boxes maintaind, that would be one thing. When was the last time you went to a crappy bowling alley and they asked you to pay more because "We will be making improvements". Or eat crappy food and pay extra cause the are going to hire a new cook as soon as they could afford it. Besides there are a lot more free activities that cost the citys and county more money. What do you think an Ice rink costs to build and maintain all winter. But you skate for free.

Ok, I was just in the Cities playing this park not too long ago, probably about a month or so. And since it has become pay to play, I can honestly say I have not seen any improvements. That doesn't mean they aren't there, I just haven't seen them. There still aren't signs on any of the holes, no direction to the next tee, or new benches or anything. It does sort of make me wonder where the money is going. My buddies and I only chose to play it anyway because I told them it was an awesome course and they are all from out of town anyway. Perhaps if more results were shown on the course people would get less frustrated?

Vandalism sucks and should not happen. But if the course is not maintained, tee signs missing and no improvements I can understand the frustrations.
I'll be happy to pay to play but would expect a great disc golf experience. Concrete tees, tee signs, a bench on each tee, baskets in good shape and the grounds properly maintained. If those things are not there I would wonder what I'm paying for and plan on not going back again.

Disc golf isn't that expensive for the city. To turn public land over to a private company... and for them to charge residents of the city to play...

It just seems like a scam to me. It may keep the noobs off of the course, but is that really what is wanted? I would lean toward a responsible city government... make sure you vote in your local elections.

Paying to play is what keeps many noobs off of courses as well. Paying to play helps the sport alot.

Disc golf is a fast growing sport, pay-to-play will put a halt to that. What noob will want to pay $9 for a cheap disc then have to pay another $5 for a round. There are plenty of pay-to-play courses where the money goes to other programs/sports. And you were a noob at one time.

Disc golf is a fast growing sport, pay-to-play will put a halt to that.
Doubtful. Earlier article from the same paper.

http://www.startribune.com/local/we...c3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

What noob will want to pay $9 for a cheap disc then have to pay another $5 for a round.
There are still plenty of free options available for them to test the waters. And if you're paying $9 for a cheap disc, well, you're overpaying.

There are plenty of pay-to-play courses where the money goes to other programs/sports.
Link?

And you were a noob at one time.
Weren't we all. If we get new noobs adjusted to the concept that disc golf is worth paying for, much like ball golf, swimming, softball, soccer, etc., I think the idea will catch on.

And guys, I'm sorry, but the gasoline that your local parks departments mowers use to keep your course trimmed ain't free, nor is the salary of the people who mow it. Parks departments have recently seen their budgets slashed, and are looking for whatever they can to cut costs. I can't speak for whatever shape Kaposia is in, but the first "improvement" you're likely to see is simply keeping the grass mowed.

I've seen my home course go from a decently mowed park style course to a links style course with fairways barely wider than a two lane road due to budget cuts. The time I've spent looking for errant throws that used to not be errant has gone up significantly. I'd gladly cough up a little dough to get things back the way they were.

And guys, I'm sorry, but the gasoline that your local parks departments mowers use to keep your course trimmed ain't free, nor is the salary of the people who mow it. Parks departments have recently seen their budgets slashed, and are looking for whatever they can to cut costs. I can't speak for whatever shape Kaposia is in, but the first "improvement" you're likely to see is simply keeping the grass mowed.

I've seen my home course go from a decently mowed park style course to a links style course with fairways barely wider than a two lane road due to budget cuts. The time I've spent looking for errant throws that used to not be errant has gone up significantly. I'd gladly cough up a little dough to get things back the way they were.

well said,
I have no problem paying to play, because of the fact it may have been free for us, but is not free for the city. If they eventually don't charge a little something, they could just decide to get rid of the course all together.

I understand pay to play, depending on how much it is.

6$ for me is fine, especially since I can buy a year long pass - but 9 bucks with no choice of getting a 'bulk' discount sucks.

Reward the people that come numerous times a week, it quickly adds up.

Again, I will pay when other sports pay. I wouldn't mind if you had to pay to get into the park and whatever activity you choose to do is up to you. That way it isn't only disc golfers who have to pay.

I'll pay-to-play as soon as they charge for the swings, slide, monkey bars, merry-go-round, or teeter tooter.

all of that equipment put together doesn't cost as much as installing a course, let alone maintaining it.

pay to play would be great, but only in moderation. part of the appeal to me about disc golf is how inexpensive it is. i can find discs, trade them, or buy them for less than ten dollars and have fun until it's worn out. i'm pretty sure i'd still play free courses every day, maybe a pay course once or twice a week. i play at least once a day, so it would be difficult for me to keep disc golfing if it was costing me as much/more than smoking habit if more courses were pay to play

First off, I don't agree with vandalism. I do see the frustration though, paying $5/ day for the same course w/o improvements is not fun. While Kaposia has seen little improvement since the fees have been implemented, I've heard that North Valley (now The Valley DGC) has undergone a redesign. Kaposia/ The Valley have a pass in which they share the fees collected. I guess even though money hasn't gone towards Kaposia yet, it has gone to improve The Valley.

I think the price point of $5 is a bit steep in my opinion...I like Three Rivers Park district's $3/day. I know its only $2 but if I were to pay $5 and have a bad round I'd be feeling a lot worse than paying $3. Three Rivers' season pass allows you to play three courses vs two, but unfortunately Three Rivers courses close down for the winter. :(

Pay to play isn't horrible as long as you see your money at work. Biggest thing for me is that they have an affordable season pass. I can't afford to pay $3 or $5 a day with how much I play. I can afford $30-$35 for a whole year though.

Last edited:
if the course was still as ghetto as it was pre-pay-to-play i would be the one with the spray paint in my hands (and still playing for free).

if they are using public park space then they cant really REQUIRE people to pay. its a public park.

if the course is well-maintained and always carries the vibe of improvement, i cant see what frolfer would mind contributing to their local scene (though their prices seem a touch steep....).:\

Pay to Play is where the sport needs to go.

The fact that dg is free is one of the major hooks for me. If I had to pay for it everywhere I went then I'd drop it just like ball golf. Now if there are some private pay courses along with the public freebies then fine by me. I might do a fancy round every now and then just for fun, but as a casual DGer (who has introduced several people to the sport) I just can't get into a pay-to-play mentality.

Again, I will pay when other sports pay. I wouldn't mind if you had to pay to get into the park and whatever activity you choose to do is up to you. That way it isn't only disc golfers who have to pay.

ok then you go and play ball golf and then complain about our crazy pay to play courses.