• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two Courses in Rolla, MO

I have played the Lion's Club course twice now, and must say that I really enjoy the layout. This is the first course I have played with that type of baskets... They are great! I will certainly be driving up from Lebanon more often to play this great course! Thank you Lion's Club and all who have helped make the course possible and keep it in great shape.

On a side note, a friend of mine has lost 3 discs at the course. A Budweiser Bowtie Wraith in the creek on #18, a "Need more Cowbell" Boss on #8 (way right), and a Yellow Valkyrie on #13 left side pine trees. Is there a separate forum or place to post these lost discs to help recover them? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Rzrbax.... there's been a lot done, and there is much left to do. We appreciate the feedback!! unfortunately, haven't seen your discs... When all is done, I am hoping to come up with a good solution to assist with this endeavor (maybe a drop box or lost and found). Unfortunately, finishing the course is taking priority at this time.

Updates

TEE pads will begin construction tomorrow.... We had a guy go through and cut the branches down on the left side of 13. He left them where they fell. If someone wanted to pitch in while they are out playing, we will be stacking the branches on green area between the baskets on 13 and the TEE on 14 for a final burn. If you want to drag a few branches as you play through to that area, it will help us get that cleaned up sooner.

There is discussion regarding modifying the TEE area for 9. However, it would require a bit of work. Looking into possibilities.

That is great news on the concrete. Can't wait! I am curious what is driving the change of tee for 9. I have never had a problem with it. It is a fair but difficult shot. Where would the new location be?

Yeah...I really like the current layout of 9 too. One of the most difficult holes on the course...but not frustratingly so.

Here is David's thinking from a note he sent last night after playing the course this weekend:
"With all of the clearing around 9s current tee location, it makes it very inviting for the longer throwers to use this area when teeing off on 8,
This is actually a good thing for 8 as it give a lot more choices and certainly a risk reward factor that was not there before. Unfortunately, this new landing area for 8 is also 9's tee pad.
I would suggest moving 9's tee over and into the woods about 60-80 feet east!
If you go from 9's basket towards this area you will see what appears to be an almost perfect semi-circle of cut grass already leading into the woods. I'd take the tee straight back into this area about 80 -100 feet back and make a path from this area back to where 9's original tee off is located. This will recreate the original intention of what was actually supposed to be a tunnel type shot for 9 and also put a little more seperation on 9 and 10,,,, since 9 will now be coming from 20 degrees due east from where it was." We are weighing the options.... this will require more clearing....

ground work for the pads started this afternoon.. first several pads will be poured tomorrow.

I guess that is why he is the pro. I hadn't considered that issue, but it makes total sense. In fact, that is the shot I have been going for from that tee (haven't pulled it off successfully, but I am trying =). That is an awkward situation, because you can't necessrily tell that there is someone on 9's tee when you are throwing. It would not be pleasant to be hit in the back of the head with a disc.

The nice thing is that since 9 is playable as it is, we can go in, make the modifications and clean up the new "tunnel" before we switch people over. While our crew was in to do the ground work for the TEEs, I had them clear the tunnel and a pathway to it. This will allow them to pour the new TEE as part of this week's work. Then, when we get the new area cleared, we will just need to pull up the TEE markers, add a sign and extend the mulch trail to make it clear where to go. (And modify the Scorecards).

The concrete crew is out there today.... there are a lot of guys out there. Be prepared to come across them if you try to play today or tomorrow. Please keep an eye out to make sure people aren't messing with the concrete when it is fresh.

We played out there today. Looked like 11 pads were done and the rest would be done today. There were quite a few people out there working. The pads look great. They are quite long which is great for the run up. Really impressed with all the work done and I tried to make sure i told everyone I ran into work out there how much we appreciate it.

For whatever it is worth, moving back the tee for 8 makes that an impossible shot to clear the woods and throw towards the old 9 tee. Maybe one out of 100 guys that play the course could pull that shot off. I could see that as a pro tee location, but that is filthy for the regular tee. I know it is too late for that feedback, but I didn't realize it was discussed moving it, or I would have piped in quite a bit sooner.

Regardless of that, thanks so much for all the work put in.

Hole 8

That was actually his reasoning for moving 8 back to begin with. However, I think he is still trying to recreate the Tunnel shot which was the original intention.... It may take a little bit to get that original feel back (ie shaping of trees and side brush over the next year or so), but I think the extra work of moving it will be worth it in the end.

Currently 9 is the only one without a TEE pad. The pad was poured in the future location, but we won't move the players over there until we get it cleaned up. It will be obvious what we plan when you are on 9 now.

What do you guys think about putting up some kind of outdoor bulletin board where we can post information about the course, as well as events going on and Lions Club information? Just putting something near the pad you poured for the pavillion next to the parking lot.

Just a thought...

Also...we have been trying to drag branches to the fairway of 13, but there are still quite a few to get. When are you guys planning on doing the burn? I will try to make sure we have people there to help.

heading down rolla way to play the lion's club course again today- maybe i'll bring the camera and try to take an updated set of pictures...me and at least one other StL-area golfer will be teeing off around 11am if anyone can make it out.

Sorry I missed you dude. Did you get some good pics?

no pics this time- it was a pretty cold and overcast day, and i thought maybe i'd grab the camera for our second round through the course, but it just didn't happen...

i will say that the course looks and plays significantly better than when i first went down (shortly after installation), and it already looked/played darn good! the slight changes in where the tees are placed all seemed well thought out (although i liked when 15? forced you to shoot through the gap before getting to the open field), the tees are good and of an appropriate size, and the clearing out of the underbrush and thinning out branches/trees/etc. for the first few feet off the fairways all made the course more enjoyable and a more reasonable challenge. kudos to all who have helped get the work done.

me and my fellow StL compatriot got beat down by a few strokes by ryan j., who i think is on this site occasionally...looking forward to making the trip again, maybe waiting until spring, to see the continued growth and improvements to the course. didn't get to play ber juan on this trip, hoping to give it a second go 'round next time i'm down there- i thought it was a fun little warm-up the only other time i've played it.

There are more than a few of us that have enjoyed a beat-down from Ryan, so no worries.

Latest posts