• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two drills that helped me swing correctly

azplaya25

Double Eagle Member
I think it's easy to get lost in the sea of drills and ideas and videos out there. I spent much of my first year utterly frustrated, trying drill after drill and not making much progress. These are the two drills that worked for me, hopefully someone will have some good results with this.

Drill #1 - Doorframe drills These might be the most important of all the SW drills. Doorframe drill is especially useful for someone with bad habits around trying to pull the disc into the power pocket, rather than letting your momentum bring your arm forward. There are two keys to translating the doorframe to the actually throw.

The first is understanding that the "doorframe" is created by the momentum of your arm/disc unit. If you grab something heavy (kettlebell, hammer) and just swing it back behind you like you are doing the doorframe drill, you'll feel this momentum. You should let this momentum/keep swinging back until it reaches the top of the backswing and kind of levitates before swinging forward. At that moment you should be stretched out just like the doorframe drill.

The second, and this took me a long time to figure out, is bracing. You have to brace against that momentum coming forward. It's taken me forever to brace correctly, and I'm still working on it, but this move right here has really helped:

These two drills, combined together - lean away from the doorframe- lean into the wall - has slowly given me the feel of the momentum of the swing. If you combine these swing thoughts with a nice, balanced reciprocating dingle arm, you should be on the right track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate this thread azplaya. It's always nice to read about what has helped others and their thoughts about the swing, even if it's sometimes just repeating the same stuff with different words. This was really good though. I tried the drills again from your point of view and felt some new things that I want to work on.

I haven't seen the 'Lean into the Wall' drill before. Do you have a link to the video?

Latest posts