• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Two Kinds of R-Pro?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
Our local pro shop got in some Innova Wahoo discs, all in R-Pro plastic. Odd thing is, among those discs, the feel of the plastic is very different. A couple of them are downright rubbery, while others are more like the soft-ish plastic feel R-Pro I'm familiar with. Any ideas why two new discs of the same mold and, supposedly, same plastic would feel so vastly different?

I have an idea of why it happens, and it is that they put significantly different ingredients into the different runs. This might be because they did not like how the previous batch came out, and thus changed the mix, or because the shipment of plastic used for a newer run contains plastic pellets that are not in fact very similar to what were used in the previous run. So, it could be intensional or unintensional.

Last edited:
I have an idea of why it happens, and it is that they put significantly different ingredients into the different runs. This might be because they did not like how the previous batch came out, and thus changed the mix, or because the shipment of plastic used for a newer run contains plastic pellets that are not in fact very similar to what were used in the previous run.

If true, you'd think they'd strive more for consistency. Especially in a disc that is sold as 'floats in water' like the Wahoo. I ended up buying one of the rubbery ones because I like the feel.

I'm sure that the disc manufacturers would love for their products to be more consistent. Then Discmania and Mint Discs wouldn't be touting about their different runs and colors that make the flight patterns unique, but could brag about how one can buy a mold and know exactly how it will behave.

I visualize the manufacturers getting in large shipments of plastic pellets that come from recycling centers. The composition of the pellets will never be consistent. Some shipments of pellets might contain plastic primarily from ground up water bottles, while other shipments contain plastic mostly from plastic shopping bags, perhaps. It is possible to buy plastic that is very consistent, but it will cost more. I expect that the disc companies are buying the plastic at the cheapest price available. And, consistency is sacrificed for lower costs.

I have an R-Pro Roc+ that is as hard as KC Pro but with the R-Pro grip. I really wish I found more like it.

I'm sure that the disc manufacturers would love for their products to be more consistent. Then Discmania and Mint Discs wouldn't be touting about their different runs and colors that make the flight patterns unique, but could brag about how one can buy a mold and know exactly how it will behave.

I visualize the manufacturers getting in large shipments of plastic pellets that come from recycling centers. The composition of the pellets will never be consistent. Some shipments of pellets might contain plastic primarily from ground up water bottles, while other shipments contain plastic mostly from plastic shopping bags, perhaps. It is possible to buy plastic that is very consistent, but it will cost more. I expect that the disc companies are buying the plastic at the cheapest price available. And, consistency is sacrificed for lower costs.

swhite is right: they basically buy "leftover" raw material plastic pellets, which makes the cost more affordable but sacrifices consistency between batches. This is one reason they've had some great DX runs and then some not-so-great ones. Same with the R-pro, I'd imagine.

swhite is right: they basically buy "leftover" raw material plastic pellets, which makes the cost more affordable but sacrifices consistency between batches. This is one reason they've had some great DX runs and then some not-so-great ones. Same with the R-pro, I'd imagine.

How do you know this?

Innova has admitted it in the past, for openers. It's been discussed on these boards, as well.

Can you point me to something that shows the admission from Innova?

FWIW, having been discussed on these boards doesn't truly mean a damn thing. No offense. :D

Innova has admitted it in the past, for openers. It's been discussed on these boards, as well.

Casey?

While it has been discussed, and if you know the plastic industry it would sometimes be true, I don't think I've ever seen Innova admit they buy leftover pellets.

I have a friend who is in plastic sales and while he doesn't disc, he has looked through my collection.

When Jolly Launcher came out, he looked at one of my Teebirds and said it could only be made from fresh plastic pellets to get that look and feel.

How I understood it, in the past, they bought surplus from other plastic companies because they couldn't afford to buy the plastic direct from supplies due to the required order limit. I'm not sure if that has changed or if that was ever the case. But I know a lot of people were saying that.

I think most of the floating discs wether in dx or R-Pro have a certain additive that they add. It will probably make it feel different to a non-floating Disc in the same plastic blend.

At least when they started, MVP was getting virgin plastic pellets from DuPont(Poppa has a 'real' plastic moulding business), they touted this allowing them better consistency.

Where either this is true anymore or not, I do not know, but environmentals(ambient temputure, humidity .....) still play havoc with the final product.

Last edited:
There has always been two R(ubber) Pro formulas, the softer floppy one is for putters, the stiffer formula is for drivers.

Why they would release one mold in both formulas :confused: is something only Innova could answer.

Same as Pro for drivers and putters. Dunipice (or however you spell that crazy old man's name) has discussed different blends for different types of discs.

Last edited: