• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tyler State Park Redesigned?

That would be great. It seems like every time I go up there all the baskets are on A, and it's a big disappointment.

As a local, I agree.

Or the longest Cs are in A (3, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 22, 23, 24, 27) and other holes are split up more evenly:wall:

I second this^^^My biggest issue with Tyler. Any time I would mention to Hobie about having extra baskets in the C positions he would say it would cause problems with newer players and pace of play.

I second this^^^My biggest issue with Tyler. Any time I would mention to Hobie about having extra baskets in the C positions he would say it would cause problems with newer players and pace of play.

He's not wrong about pace of play. Having played a few courses where they have multiple permanently installed baskets on each hole, it can be a cluster**** on a busy day with some groups playing the long positions while other groups play the shorts (and both groups arrive at the next tee at the same time). Big reason I tend to avoid those courses except for tournaments.

Ideally, what they should do once they have the 36 complete holes in place is to vary the pin positions in a way that they have an "easy" 18 that uses primarily A & some B positions and a "tough" 18 using primarily C pins with some B pins thrown in for variety. Then switch them up every few weeks so that the easy side becomes the tough side and vice versa. That way, those that show up and want to play the longer course can choose the appropriate 18 holes to do that, and those looking for the easier course can have that on the other 18 holes. Has to beat showing up and playing 27 holes where you never know where the next hole's basket will be until you get to the tee.

@JC17393....Well said and I'm sure that will happen......however......them baskets are heavy so every two weeks for the whole 36 to change won't happen. As for the baskets that could be in the C pins all the time and not be a cluster ****, I see East 3, 6, 9, 13, 16 and 18 not be too troublesome. On the West course I can see holes 7, 8, 13, 15 and 18 would not interfere too bad with play. That's 11 extra baskets at almost $400 bucks a pop.

We would have to put up a rule sign on every hole though to remind people to only play to basket of choice and not to sit around putting on a C as they walk by if peeps are waiting. This could become an issue. Like I said before, it is hard to make everyone happy all at once.

With multiple tee pads and pin locations both courses have so many different looks, I for one love the change as long as we keep it balanced...not easy to do. The two courses(East is complete and we are cutting fairways in for the six more holes we needed for the West) are and will be so frickin awesome that I really doubt we will hear too many complaints. The only one complaint(more of a whine) I can foresee is saying that they are exhausted! There is a good amount of elevation on both East and west but the West will have your legs screaming bloody murder...LOL!

Volunteer day!

Head grounds keeper Dude Sassaman has informed us that we will be working on the course this Friday at 9:00 AM. Meet up at Hickory Nut Picanic area just before the boathouse. Come one come all!!! Bring gloves!

I would love to see 18 set out in short and the other 18 set out in long. It was always a drag to drive on hour out to Tyler and find it all set out in A when I live ten minutes from short Sedgley Woods.

Ok, I would love to keep this thread active and pinned if possible with the permission of the OP...Also I will make a separate thread on work days for Tyler for those who would like to help out and be a part of the best course in the north east. We always had work to do and now we have a ton to do so even an hour of picking up twigs helps the cause. Happy New Year!

Markus

@JC17393....Well said and I'm sure that will happen......however......them baskets are heavy so every two weeks for the whole 36 to change won't happen.

Where did I say change all 36 every two weeks? I said the easy/hard 18s could be flipped every few weeks but that certainly doesn't mean all 36 have to be changed at once to make it happen. It could be strategic changes of a few holes every couple of weeks such that every 6-8 weeks the "easy" side changes from east to west or vice versa. Some holes don't really have to change at all as part of the transition.

New baskets went in Friday! All 36 holes now have a basket:)

Planning on going out there Tuesday and Wednesday. This course is at Tyler SP proper, actually on the park property right?

I played in a tournament there over the summer, and one of the locals said they were going to take the last nine holes of the original course and use those as the first nine holes of the new course. There are going to be nine new holes designed that are going to be put into the new course.

I played in a tournament there over the summer, and one of the locals said they were going to take the last nine holes of the original course and use those as the first nine holes of the new course. There are going to be nine new holes designed that are going to be put into the new course.

Not quite right, but close enough. Two of the new nine holes are being attached to what once was holes 3-18 (a new hole 1 and a new hole between what was 7 and 8). What were 1 and 2 are being included with what were 19-27, along with the other seven new holes.

At least that's how they split it at the Yetter and how the proposed map of the new holes breaks down. Here are six of the new holes...
10881701_1521693021430243_284302148061386637_n.jpg

We will almost surely keep Tyler as a single 36-hole course once we are done the last 6 holes of our expansion. We will have separate names and color schemes for holes 1-18 and 19-36 which will only be relevant on days when we are hosting 2 separate events. We are also discussing options for how to placate the folks who want more of the course to be in the C positions. We will have a definitive statement on these and other topics after our Feb club mtg.

Bob S - President BCDGA

Regardless of what it was, is currently, or is becoming, I look forward to finally playing this course someday. I hope to make that day this summer on the tail end of Pro Worlds in Pittsburgh. Luckily I have relatives that live within 15 minutes of Tyler!

What type of new baskets have been installed?
Any plans for the old baskets.
Thanks

I think they have plans to sell them to Tamanend Park to create an 18 hole layout there. A club member could probably tell you better though.

From the club fb site:

"As of February 2015 the decision has been finalized to make Tyler State Park Disc Golf Course a 36-hole course numbered 1 through 36. Over the next few weeks and months we will be changing the numbering of holes by changing the number on the basket, on the tee pad, and updating the tee signs.
At this time holes 27 to 32 do not have baskets, tee signs, etc. These holes are under construction. Another set of new baskets have been ordered and these new holes should be playable some time in spring 2015.
The expansion of the course can still use your assistance by donating to the expansion of the Tyler course. This expansion fund will cover the cost of the new baskets, new tee pads, new tee signs, etc.
Holes 1 to 18 will be referred to as East and holes 19 to 36 will be referred to as West. You may hear people referring to these layouts when stating which 18 holes are to be used for a specific event."

So do you think most people will play all 36? I'm wondering if it might not be a bad idea to just list them as east/west on DGCR.

I rarely played all 27 when it was my home course. Even now that I only play there a few times a year, I don't play all 27. I'm guessing not many locals will play all 36 at once, but anyone going to Tyler as a destination will probably play them all. I think they're trying to keep there dgcr ranking by keeping it one course...haha...my opinion is to split them up. why refer to them as East/West when you can say 1-18 and 19-36?