• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Types of Volunteers

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So here is a thread to vent about - or compliment your local volunteer base. After running a disc golf club and doing tourney's for several years I have observed several types of volunteers/non-volunteers out there. Most of this are the non-volunteers - and I think you'll see what I mean with that weird term...

"We Should" - This individual has a profusion of suggestions for all things disc golf from course improvements, league tweaks, etc. But with each suggestion they insert the phrase "we should" which of course means the person in charge should immediately jump all over the "suggestion." The best way to deal with "we should" is with each suggestion respond with, "Great idea - can you make that happen?"

I volunteer...Someone else - These individuals like to volunteer others. Usually goes along the line of, "Hey I bet so-and-so would be willing to do ______" Communication is typically poor and the recipient of said volunteer task usually get's kinda pissed off.

Ghost Volunteer - Enthusiastically says they'll be at every course clean up day, offers to help run tourneys but when it comes time to do the work they disappear because they forgot, overslept, need to water their houseplants, whatever...

Whiner -Similar to the "We Shoud" but whines about everything. Offers nothing. These people need to be slapped.

Busy Bee -These types have no time to help with anything whatsoever but are similar to the "we should" offering all sorts of suggestions. But of course while they have no time to do some simple task they have all sorts of time to drive all over creation playing a vast assortment of disc golf courses.

Now onto something positive...

"May I?" -There's a fella in our club who is constantly seeing little things that need to be done around the course. Asks if he can fix the issue and then follows through with a great solution. I wish there were ten more people like him.

Complimenter -Not only do these people volunteer to help but make a real point of complimenting the work of others.

Ole reliable -If they say they're going to be there for three hours to volunteer by golly they are there for three hours. They show up with enthusiasm and are honest about when they can and cannot show up.

I hear ya. The whole "too busy" thing is always weak. Just admit it wasn't high enough on your priority list. Everybody is "busy" and has their own lives, but I bet that person who was too busy had time to surf the net, scroll facebook for hours, shop for things they don't need, take a nap, watch the big game, etc, etc, etc. It is about time management. If we really wanted to do something and found it important, we would make time for it. Yes things come up and life happens, but those people who are just too busy to get things done typically are really just poor managers of their time.

When someone says "We should" at least there is a possibility that they will get involved.
What I love is the "someone should" people. They make suggestions and/or criticisms with absolutely no intent of helping with anything. (there are a whole lot of these people out there)

I like having this forum to vent on. I try hard in the real world to stay positive and not worry about those that don't help.
I've learned as I get older that it really is 10% of people who truly work hard and keep it going for the other 90%. Disc is that, and many jobsites are no different.
Sometimes I feel like a sucker for being the 10% guy, but at the same time I can't shut it off, so what are you going to do? Recognition is always nice, but I do get a personal satisfaction after pouring a new teepad, or clearing a new fairway.
There is something kind of fun about working anonymously, and then listening to peoples real thoughts about things. I've had to bite my tongue listening to people sh!t on work I had done on a course. And listened while people praised the effort put in.

You forgot one....

So here is a thread to vent about - or compliment your local volunteer base. After running a disc golf club and doing tourney's for several years I have observed several types of volunteers/non-volunteers out there.

The "Why Can't Everybody Be As Dedicated As Me" guy.

I'm not picking on you, but it's true.

I've been in about half a dozen organizations from service clubs, to a volunteer fire department, to chess clubs, and political organizations. Heck you can throw family reunions in there too.

There are those who will work and those that will let them.

If you are a worker part of the buy in is understanding that most of the other members/players won't be.

I have always consoled myself by thinking "Well they probably volunteer in some other organization" so it all comes out even on a cosmic basis.

By the way, in the disc golf world I am a worthless drone.

I'm always amazed at the number of people that give up their time to support something they aren't actively participating in. If you've ever done a large bike ride where they have rest stations every 10 miles or so, those volunteers are essential and amazing.

You missed one. The "I'm just volunteering for the free stuff" person. There was one tournament that had a bunch of volunteers, unfortunately, the TD provided the "volunteer pack" up front and then the majority of volunteers didn't show up after that. But the special disc they got showed up immediately on eBay and other sites.

But wait, there's more...

The "Anecdotal Facts" guy: I heard [insert the name of 1 person] say [insert something negative] so, that has to be the way everyone thinks/ feels...

The "The Club is out to get me" guy. Everything the Club does is somehow underhanded or negatively impacts their direct life.
...Dude, if that's the way you think, no wonder your life is in shambles.

The "Everyone's Opinion Matters" guy: Ok, so we have a majority 7-2, so we move forward. Well, if 2 of us don't agree, that's not really unanimous...

The "Mighty Mouse" guy: This is really just a super-fanboi that loves disc golf so much he just wants to think about disc golf and talk about disc golf all day. Yeah disc golf! So, he volunteers for (almost) everything, and NEVER follows through on anything.

The "I won't retire" guy: I've been volunteering for this club for [insert years] and this is how it's always been done. So, that's how we're doing it...

Conversely...

The "Retired" guy: I volunteered for [insert years]! If you haven't volunteered, your opinion doesn't matter.

And quite possibly the worst,

The "Wallflower". Accountability, what's that? Organization? Ambition? This is disc golf man, we're just here to hang out and have a few beers. Relax. Who cares if 3 baskets are missing? It gives the course character.
...These jokers are most often found on the 19th green or in the back of the room at meetings, mumbling about "the man" or some other nonsense.

Are clubs creating an open, welcoming environment to allow people to step into new volunteer position? Are they creating teaching opportunities for people to learn? Clubs often talk about needing more TDs/volunteers for events, big and small. How well informed are potential TDs about all aspects - arranging prize packs (where do I go to get shirts printed?), park requirements and permits (who do I contact for reservations or where do I rent port-a-jons?), to rules, regulations, OB (do I go with the standard tried-and-true OB lines because that's how it's always been, or do I create some new OB markings?). And perhaps most important, what will the reaction be when I inevitably screw something up the first time I run an event? Will I get support from club members? Or, will someone go on FB griping that the lunch break was too short or OB on #15 wasn't clearly defined or the players pack only had small shirts?

Latest posts