• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDisc Pro price tripling

Mistake? That's pretty much how all of these successful apps work. They charge nothing or minimal payment starting out. People don't care if it's not the most amazing thing because it's cheap. You develop a huge user base, then start moving the price towards the actual market. You want the big user base first...because for as much as people complain...most still pay the higher price because they realize it's still worth it if $5 was worth it.

I can't even count the number of people I know who got UDisc because someone had it and said "Eh, it's only $5, try it". That strategy works a lot less if it's "it's only $15, or $20, or $50".

I can see that point. I just finished a Moes burrito that cost $13 with all the fixings. It was delicious and it is gone. I wouldn't mind paying the same amount for an annual subscription for a useful app that I can use each time I am out on the course.

Mistake? That's pretty much how all of these successful apps work. They charge nothing or minimal payment starting out. People don't care if it's not the most amazing thing because it's cheap. You develop a huge user base, then start moving the price towards the actual market. You want the big user base first...because for as much as people complain...most still pay the higher price because they realize it's still worth it if $5 was worth it.

I can't even count the number of people I know who got UDisc because someone had it and said "Eh, it's only $5, try it". That strategy works a lot less if it's "it's only $15, or $20, or $50".

They already do this, because regular Udisc is free to "try."

If you reach your cap of 20 saved scorecards (or whatever the cap is), you then get to decide if you want to pay for a year, or just delete your old scorecards so you aren't at your cap anymore.

It's $15/year to save all your scorecards and stats, which is being stored on a cloud server somewhere. Plus they have to keep all the course data, blog data, etc. My guess is that the price increase is due to an explosion of users, and new courses/layouts requiring them to buy a bunch more space.

Remember, the internet isn't free. The bigger a product gets, the more money a company has to spend just to keep the product hosted.

I can see that point. I just finished a Moes burrito that cost $13 with all the fixings. It was delicious and it is gone. I wouldn't mind paying the same amount for an annual subscription for a useful app that I can use each time I am out on the course.

Dammit man! We have rules. If you are going to talk burritos you have to bring enough for everyone.

(As I sit here trying decide what's for supper ).

They already do this, because regular Udisc is free to "try."

If you reach your cap of 20 saved scorecards (or whatever the cap is), you then get to decide if you want to pay for a year, or just delete your old scorecards so you aren't at your cap anymore.

It's $15/year to save all your scorecards and stats, which is being stored on a cloud server somewhere. Plus they have to keep all the course data, blog data, etc. My guess is that the price increase is due to an explosion of users, and new courses/layouts requiring them to buy a bunch more space.

Remember, the internet isn't free. The bigger a product gets, the more money a company has to spend just to keep the product hosted.

This was exactly my thought. Tons of new users, plus building out new features is going to cost them more.

I don't have a problem with it, and agree with others...$5 a year was way underpriced. They've made leaps and bounds the last couple years so a higher price tag is justified at this point.

I decided to re-up at the $5 price. During checkout, google play informed me I had $3.50 in credits i could apply to my purchase. Id maybe waffle at $15 for an app I don't use a ton.....but $1.50? Certainly!

I dont mind Udisc tripling their price...

I mind Jomez saying that their coverage is brought to you by patreons, and then monitizing it to the maximum amount on youtube along with the two imbedded commercials, and numerous popups.

Now that's what you call, milking your base. ;) Something has to make up for those cringe Shomez episodes. :sick:

Programmers deserve to be paid, and at $5 Udisc was underpriced.

And subscriptions are the new norm, so we should all get used to it. Everything I use now is subscription based...I haven't "bought" a piece of software (other than a game) in years.

I wonder at what point people will care? If they raise it to $25 next year? $35 the year after?
When the price makes paying for the app in any way prohibitive? At $1.25/month I am not feeling gouged in any way at all.

What's funny is, even if you buy premium plastic, a custom Pound bag, Jomez jerseys, tournament entry fees, etc....DG is still pretty cheap for a hobby. I'm in process of rebuilding my daily commuter bicycle with low to mid grade SRAM hardware and I've probably spent a years worth of DG money just in parts. If I wasn't mechanically inclined and had to pay a bike shop to put it together....
I've also probably spent less in my life on DG than it costs for my wife and one kid to do karate for a year.
And the great thing is, if you buy a stack of DX plastic and spend a bunch of time in the field, you can still probably beat a scrub like me.

What's funny is, even if you buy premium plastic, a custom Pound bag, Jomez jerseys, tournament entry fees, etc....DG is still pretty cheap for a hobby. I'm in process of rebuilding my daily commuter bicycle with low to mid grade SRAM hardware and I've probably spent a years worth of DG money just in parts. If I wasn't mechanically inclined and had to pay a bike shop to put it together....
I've also probably spent less in my life on DG than it costs for my wife and one kid to do karate for a year.
And the great thing is, if you buy a stack of DX plastic and spend a bunch of time in the field, you can still probably beat a scrub like me.

Yea, and currently... parts are at a premium for bikes, so I actually had to pay list for some things when I built my last one.

That almost never happens.

no thanks :)

I'm not a fan of the subscription model for most software.

I run office 2010 on my home PC. It will probably stop working at some point, but the cost has been significantly less than the subscription would/will be.

My work PC is office 2018. There have been no updates or changes to the programs that make any material difference to my work between 2010 and 2018.

But, UDisc is subscription so that's what I''ll do.

We have the bizarre economics in DG where buying one more disc may still have more intrinsic value than subscribing to a service to track your stats and help find your way around new courses so you'll have less chance to lose that new disc.

Yea, and currently... parts are at a premium for bikes, so I actually had to pay list for some things when I built my last one.

That almost never happens.

You're not kidding...I had to shop group set from one place, bottom bracket from another, brake levers from yet another....

Want to talk expensive hobbies, I work with a number of people who own small airplanes. I've made some good cash doing work for them and they don't even blink at 4-figure bills for my time.

At first I wasn't crazy about subscription based software either, but there are some advantages. Everything I use is subscription based, so maybe I've just become used to it.

agreed

bike (i mtb) start up costs are waaay moar and then the maintenance/accessories/upgrades

also for certain socioeconomic position groups there is going to be much moar of a fuss regarding a price increase whereas some other groups wouldnt be worried

also for certain socioeconomic position groups there is going to be much moar of a fuss regarding a price increase whereas some other groups wouldnt be worried

Generally speaking...yes. Though it's difficult to imagine someone willing enough to spend $5/year on UDisc, but in such an economic situation that $15 is too burdensome. This particular situation seems a lot less to do with socioeconomic conditions of an individual, and a lot more about "moral outrage" at the increase.

Latest posts