• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UDisc Pro price tripling

Put in perspective, the cost of uDisc is the cost of one disc. Each person has to decide for themselves what they would get a better return on.

For me...it's part of my PDGA membership package and hasn't cost me any extra (yet). If it is no longer included in my PDGA membership, then I'll have to make the decision as to whether the cost is worth it - but $15 isn't too bad.

Generally speaking...yes. Though it's difficult to imagine someone willing enough to spend $5/year on UDisc, but in such an economic situation that $15 is too burdensome. This particular situation seems a lot less to do with socioeconomic conditions of an individual, and a lot more about "moral outrage" at the increase.

willingness seems moar fitting than moral outrage

also where does one draw the line of "too much/burdensome"

economically better off groups will not have a problem throwing moar cash around and other group will feel moar of a pinch

I was a little surprised when I saw the amount of the increase. I'm sure I'll pony up when it comes time to renew and you likely won't hear me complain about $15 for the whole year.

I do think it would have been better if they just Netflix'd us and just gradually raised the price until they got there.

Always a more loving experience when they stick it in slowly and softly a little at a time rather than promising just the tip and then ramming it home all at once.

willingness seems moar fitting than moral outrage

also where does one draw the line of "too much/burdensome"

economically better off groups will not have a problem throwing moar cash around and other group will feel moar of a pinch

I said moral outrage because it seems to be more people who don't already pay for UDisc who seem outraged about the increase.

I don't know where "the line" is for economically burdensome...but I do know that a "luxury" (ie not a necessity) for $15/year isn't close to that line.

I would say that if an extra $10 on a hobby for a year is considered a "pinch" to someone, they probably shouldn't have been spending $5 on UDisc to begin with.

I re-upped for $5 until February 2023. Probably will pay the $15 after that too. By then a tour series disc will be $40 at this rate.

I said moral outrage because it seems to be more people who don't already pay for UDisc who seem outraged about the increase.

I don't know where "the line" is for economically burdensome...but I do know that a "luxury" (ie not a necessity) for $15/year isn't close to that line.

I would say that if an extra $10 on a hobby for a year is considered a "pinch" to someone, they probably shouldn't have been spending $5 on UDisc to begin with.

hmm interesting stance to take

ok

I was a little surprised when I saw the amount of the increase. I'm sure I'll pony up when it comes time to renew and you likely won't hear me complain about $15 for the whole year.

I do think it would have been better if they just Netflix'd us and just gradually raised the price until they got there.

Always a more loving experience when they stick it in slowly and softly a little at a time rather than promising just the tip and then ramming it home all at once.

A 200% increase per year sounds insane, while a $10 increase per year sounds reasonable. It is all a matter of perspective.

Thanks for the lulz!

I wish people would stop calling a powerful computing device "a phone," and then arguing it's not needed on course. Granted, calling it a powerful computing device ain't gonna win anyone over about its place on the course, but I value and appreciate and require the medical device calculations my "phone" does for me. And were I to find myself in a medical emergency, I like being able to place a phone call for help (and I like being prepared to do so, were it to happen).

I got attacked bu ground bees last year. Luckily I had my phone. Handed it to my lady right as I was fading out.

Probably wasps. Much more aggressive than the rare bumblebee sting.

Ground bees. Those are not wasps.

You ever been stung by a bumblebee? Hits like a hammer. You disturb a nest and they are no longer passive.

Ground bees. Those are not wasps.

You ever been stung by a bumblebee? Hits like a hammer. You disturb a nest and they are no longer passive.

My dad's been a beekeeper as long as I've been alive. I know a honeybee from a bumblebee. I wasn't there, clearly no idea the referenced experience. Spending years in the woods, been attacked by ground bees and wasps many times, mostly yellow jackets (wasps) never bumblebees. Your region may vary.

My dad's been a beekeeper as long as I've been alive. I know a honeybee from a bumblebee. I wasn't there, clearly no idea the referenced experience. Spending years in the woods, been attacked by ground bees and wasps many times, mostly yellow jackets (wasps) never bumblebees. Your region may vary.

I was mowing and disturbed a bumblebee nest (didn't know it was there ). Got stung in the forehead by one and felt like I was hit with a hammer.

Are there other bees besides bumblebees the nest in the ground?

I was mowing and disturbed a bumblebee nest (didn't know it was there ). Got stung in the forehead by one and felt like I was hit with a hammer.

Are there other bees besides bumblebees the nest in the ground?

How common are ground bees?
Very common. While it's easy to think of bees and their hives, the truth is that most in their taxonomic family are solitary—often burrowing in the ground, rather than living in colonies with social castes, such as the honey bee. So even if you're surprised to be learning about ground bees, they actually are a very common subset of the Apoidea family. In fact, according to the Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, around 70% of the 20,000 species of bees nest underground.

https://www.terminix.com

So they are not wasps?

Certain wasps live underground. So do ground bees. If you happen to have relatively dry soil on a south facing slope, ground bees will take up residence. Both are terribly unfun to disturb with lawmowers.

Either way, getting stung stinks. Getting asked to pay market price for something you used to get for free also stinks, but markets tend to work. If we exclude PDGA and pretend there are 10,000 users as $5/year, the company can afford to lose 6,665 users if they charge more by catering to their most active user base and triple the (annual) price. As someone who got started with his wife with 6 used discs at $5 a pop, 2019 me would be real mad if I used the app. 2021 me does not have the same situation and paid $120 to innova for a dozen cobras. I have what I need and use with TimG's tools and typically use DGCR maps and terrain reading to figure out where the next hole is, but it's more work than looking at an app. If I liked that, I'd probably pay $40-50 a year for it at this point. It may be that they're cleaning house of users who rarely use the app but fill up storage and call for higher server throughput than the dedicated few who would pay better.

Either way (anecdote alert!), it seems like new people I run into know abouth uDisc but not DGCR. Advertising budgets, maybe?

Certain wasps live underground. So do ground bees. If you happen to have relatively dry soil on a south facing slope, ground bees will take up residence. Both are terribly unfun to disturb with lawmowers.

Either way, getting stung stinks. Getting asked to pay market price for something you used to get for free also stinks, but markets tend to work. If we exclude PDGA and pretend there are 10,000 users as $5/year, the company can afford to lose 6,665 users if they charge more by catering to their most active user base and triple the (annual) price. As someone who got started with his wife with 6 used discs at $5 a pop, 2019 me would be real mad if I used the app. 2021 me does not have the same situation and paid $120 to innova for a dozen cobras. I have what I need and use with TimG's tools and typically use DGCR maps and terrain reading to figure out where the next hole is, but it's more work than looking at an app. If I liked that, I'd probably pay $40-50 a year for it at this point. It may be that they're cleaning house of users who rarely use the app but fill up storage and call for higher server throughput than the dedicated few who would pay better.

Either way (anecdote alert!), it seems like new people I run into know abouth uDisc but not DGCR. Advertising budgets, maybe?

Are you an entomologist?

When I started last year I got UDisc basic. I think I paid for pro, then got the PDGA membership that covers this year.

In 2020, I probably would not have paid $15 for UDisc. I think the $15 subscription price tag will be bit of an issue for new players/users.

Kind of a mixed bag. We have been conditioned to get so much for "free" that we've lost the connection with real cost of something like software. Of course if we had to pay up front for things like UDisc, it might never develop to something useful.

I don't know—but did do a little research on hosting costs and I don't think number of users is an issue.

Ultimately I now think UDisc is a valuable app. They employ 10+ people and are hiring. DG is a relatively small community and so costs per individual are somewhat higher than an app supported by 10x or more users.

As far as knowledge of UDisc, it comes with PDGA membership. It is well positioned for familiarity. DGCR is mostly a Google find AFAIK.