• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UH,OH! Got a girlfriend that wants it learn how to play!

Woodpecker

Birdie Member
I walked into my house yesterday from playing a round and my girlfriend was out back throwing a disc with my two pooches. She had found a Beast that I don't use much (thank God) and decided to see if the dogs would chase it.

My yellow Lab, Lilly, will shred anything you throw for her and had already done a number on the Beast. I thought, what the hell, and let them go ahead and tear it up since Lilly's favorite game is tug of war.

I have a basket out back and my girlfriend turns and throws the disc from about 35' and center punches the basket. Well, that did it. She squealed and laughed.

Now, she wants me to teach her to play and that's the problem. In the past, I've tried to teach her different sports, pool and billiards for example, and it's all fun and games at the beginning.

Once she's learn a little bit and I make a suggestion, she cops an attitude about how I'm mister know-it-all, leave her alone and the scrap is on. LOL

The other thing is she is very competitive and if she gets hooked, that's all she'll want to do. This happened with her in pool. When we met, she was playing about once a week and now, she plays on four leagues, goes out of town to weekend tourneys at least twice a month and goes to Vegas every May for a 10 days for the world's largest pool tourney.

I thought, "I've created a monster."

And, I'm afraid it's going to happen again. What do I do?

Woodpecker

thank your lucky stars...LOL...at least i would if my wife were to become interested in DG...then i would get to play a lot more...

I second this. I would get to play more if my wife was interested in learning. When the weather gets better I will be teaching my daughter how to play because she is showing great interest. I told my wife she will have to come to the course with us. Maybe she will give it a try also.

I don't see this as a problem. If she changes from pool to DG,great. I wish my wife was in to it.

thank your lucky stars...LOL...at least i would if my wife were to become interested in DG...then i would get to play a lot more...

mine too. but i would recommend bringing a friend out with you and have them make the pointers to your girlfriend that way your not mister know it all and she will get mad at someone else:D

I'd sure love to have your problem. Do everything you can to encourage her to play DG!! Then when you're playing just don't make any suggestions and you won't have fights. Enjoy just being with her at the course, and consider yourself blessed that you can do something you really enjoy with a gal that means a lot to you.

They say it's good and I agree a bit. Lets do this like a review.
Pros
She doesn't mind how much you play at all and actually encourages rounds disc golf.
She buys you disc for your birthday and xmas.
She doesn't complain that you don't spend time with her because she is there with you.
On road trips you can say "hey there is a dg course around here can we stop?" and always get a yes.
You get nice text messages that say "good luck", "take their money", and "are you done yet"

Cons
She can't throw or play very well for a while and maybe for ever so you have to hear it and deal with all of the pouting.
She is always there with you and anything over 9 holes is tiring so say goodbye to long days of dg.
Any advice is taken the wrong way and you will not be happy at home.
The only time she is really happy is when you play with someone that does worse than her.
She has a dog that eats discs... "oh! but why can't Honey come to the park with us, she loves the park!"
She might get better than you, then what would you do with your life?
Your friends get tired of being the 3rd wheel when you invite them to play.
And many more.

i can't imagine her getting better than you is a con, unless you have a ego problem...

also, on the advice thing, only give it when it asked for...

I was just kidding about being worried. I'm looking forward to taking her out to the course.

What's nice is she's a natural athlete. Very good hand-eye coordination. She played competitive softball through her teens and twenties as a pitcher and short stop.

In pool, she is ranked in the top 10 women players in the state of Texas. She also holds two national titles.

I've already taken one of her good female pool playing friends and her boyfriend out to play and they had a ball. If I can get these two together, it's going to get very competitive and the battle will be on.

I know I'm a lucky guy. I'm 58 and she just turned 40 (I think she has a fetish for gray hair, LOL). She's knock down gorgeous and not a week goes by without someone making a comment about being a sugar daddy but she's worth about 10 times what I am. She's actually got a few Texas oil wells (no kidding!) and they just started drilling some more on other property she owns.

And, on top of all of it, she's about as low maintenance as they come. She shops at Walmart and her favorite place to eat is Taco Hell, I mean Taco Bell. LOL

We've been together for 9 yrs now and not a day goes by that I don't wake up, scratching my head, wondering what the hell she sees in me and why I'm so lucky!

We'd get married but I follow the philosphy of:

You don't have to be married more than once to realize that once was once too many! LOL

Woodpecker

Last edited:
I was just kidding about being worried. I'm looking forward to taking her out to the course.

We've been together for 9 yrs now and not a day goes by that I don't wake up, scratching my head, wondering what the hell she sees in me and why I'm so lucky!

Woodpecker

That's awesome! Congratulations on finding a wonderful partner! She sounds fantastic and I really appreciate your humility towards having her. I'll be she's aware at how rare it can be to find someone humble and genuine and she's probably just as glad to have you.

Hope to see the two of you out on the course some day (I'm in DFW). My partner doesn't play (we're not married either, after 17 years) but she isn't athletic. However, she is a true gamer, and I make games for a living so it is wonderful to have someone always at the ready to play.

Ken

i can't imagine her getting better than you is a con, unless you have a ego problem...

also, on the advice thing, only give it when it asked for...

Funny you should mention that.

I had a friend who was an average pool player but absolutely loved the game. One day, he brings his new girlfriend into the poolroom and asks me to give her lessons.

It was incredible. Never had a student that learned this quickly. Just a natural.

Within six months, she playing even with her boyfriend and within a year was blowing his doors off.

Well, he couldn't handle it with all the ribbing some of the guys handed out or losing to her. Jeez, he would get mad.

And that's what broke them up. She went on to be one the top lady players in the game.

What a talent!

Woodpecker

i give all the ladies i meet what is called the Tbell test. its quite profound, and you can read alot about a person just based on what they think of Nachos Bell Grande.

any girl that says "thats disgusting" or something along those lines, when inquiring if they enjoy a good chalupa once and awhile...is not worth your time of day.

and you have one that eats there on a regular basis...and is still described as athletic.

i fall asleep each night thinking...of just that. discs, Tbell, and the ladies...

Now you will be sharing EVERYTHING!!! Careful what you wish for fellas... I am all for women playing and premoting the sport but what happens when one, she she beats you, two, starts using your discs, and three, is always there when you need to get out and enjoy the fresh air by yourself or with your buddies? YOu might want to spend some time playing with her, and other times getting out and doing it for yourself. It is great when traveling but maybe not as much when your wanting to get away. Good luck and may the force be with you. = )

This is a good thing. I would love it if more women played the sport. I have been trying to get my wife interested but she has quite the fair weather approach. Her primary excuse: it's too hot!! We are in DFW and it gets hot. So what? She can't seem to grasp the concept. It's DG - no excuses!

That aside, I enjoy spending time with my wife and we also share other hobbies like photography and video games. I think we should all encourage our spouses, significants, sisters, etc. to play the sport.

Good luck in the endeavor.

Latest posts