• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultimate Hazard??

ScottyLove

Double Eagle Member
So today about 12 guys and girls gather in Osage Beach, MO to work on the new championship course going in there. Main task to today was burning stacked timber on holes 3 and 4.

Hole 3 is the signature hold right around 300 completely over a cove with 25 feet drop off down to water. It's beautiful! Just short of the hole is a big ditch... or maybe think swale or large ball-golf like sand trap... except it was one of the spots we piled in timber to burn... so yeah... you guessed it.... we had a FLAMING FIRE PIT that was is easily in play on every drive.

Nobody was so unlucky to burn any plastic today, but we dotted the rim and just around the inside top edges with several throws... and plenty of water splashes too.

Our thinking is that for tournament play, we should always have a clean-up day before and light it up before round 1 begins. Is this too harsh?? Would you play if you could lose a disc to the fire? I mean, the water is right there too... so not much difference really.

I hope to have some pics soon... and I did splash the chains with my Gold Line Striker with my last throw... so close!!!!

I would love to play a hole with a deep firepit as a hazard! As long as I knew ahead of time to bring some garbage plastic! :)

Yea but You know some not so bright guy will try to grab his disc for the embers and burn himself. Then He will be going after the Park, club, and/or TD. Sounds like a fun shot though.

Retrieve discs from the firepit at ur own risk. just put signs next to it. All damage and risk is permissable as long as there is a warning sign or 5. if i saw fire and water i along with my group would tossover it (or attempt to) no doubt

Last edited:
I like the idea. John at Highbridge does this most Saturday nights at the night course.

Good luck getting insurance though. I do not mean to be a dick, but I bet insurance companies may frown on this.

You would have to keep on adding stuff throughout the round so that everyone has the same hazard.

We've already done something like this at Stoney Hill. Via incompetence. Twice.

Current hole 14B once involved throwing over a huge area of logging debris. Long piles of logs, up to 8' high and 100' long, that had half-rotted and were threaded with briars. It was pretty awful if you threw short and landed there, trying to play out or just retrieve your disc.

So one day we decided to start burning them. Being half-rotten and with dirt pushed up in them, they weren't super-combustible. About the time we got the fire going, it started drizzing.

With the result that the fire wasn't put out, but reduced to a smolder that lasted 6 weeks. It burned about a 15' crater in the middle of the debris, and if your drive was on line it vanished through the perpetual smoke plume. I don't know if any discs got melted landing in the fire pit, but the ones on the edge were tough to retrieve.

Hole 18 has a big dirt pit (80' x 40' x 10' deep) which we play as O.B. When clearing the hole we had thrown a bunch of logs into it, which were a little treacherous retrieving discs. So so day, 2 days before a tournament, Chris sets it on fire.....and, of course, it was still smoldering during the event.

Am currently burning the stumps that we ripped out of the ground on holes 1 and 2, the burn pile is directly in front of hole 1 tee. I played glow last night with 3 staff that had never played before, I was confident they would all clear the fire, I was wrong. A nice Cryztal Buzzz now has two small melty spots, still flies great.

IMAG0053_zps0d009433.jpg

Hole 3 at Osage Beach.

I'd love to throw over a blazing fire. Put some pallets on it before a big event and make people throw directly through the fire...

But I'm a pyro so maybe it's not as good of an idea as it sounds to me :doh:

Also that Osage hole looks Awesome! Almost perfect for my Wahoo.. except it would float away before I made it down the hill lol

IMAG0053_zps0d009433.jpg

Hole 3 at Osage Beach.

Thanks for attaching the picture of this awesome hole Mike! And if they basket would've had a 2nd row of chains, my Striker would've been the first ace ever on this hole. Can't wait for permanent baskets to go in.

Thinking about working the course again this weekend to burn on #5 and #6.

Sounds like fun and does add an element of risk to the equation, however, liability waiver do not apply in of event of gross negligence (an action by the defendant that demonstrates a substantial lack of concern for whether an injury will result as a result of the action), and most courts and juries would probably consider placing a fire pit in an area that is ordinarily and easily in play for most players to be gross negligence.

Picnic Island DGC in Tampa has Tampa Bay for a water hazard, thats pretty epic.

View from hole 7. Hole 8 plays alongside the water.

9e9de76d.jpg

I thought you were going to have a rattlesnake pit or mine field in the fairway!

Fire or water would be spooky enough for me to sink it!

What would be fun is a huge fan pointed at the basket so you had fire water and wind all in one package deal.

Reminds me of this years GBO at Jones East, we found a number of burned discs that fell victim to brush fires that the park must have started to save some mowing.

And also, when will this course be open? Looks pretty cool with just seeing one hole. My family owns a lake house on the lake of the ozarks and would love a good disc golf course to play while down there.

Last edited:

Latest posts