• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

un level tee pads

While I do agree that having nice level tee pads is much preferable, everyone plays the same course and competes with the same challenges of un level tee pads. As much as I don't like them, I cannot say that they aren't fair.

Depending on shot selection... Hole 18 at badlands. I have a hard time making it up the hill because of the tee pad throwing backhand. If someone throws a thumber, it takes the tee pad and hill out of the equation. If it was a flat normal sized tee pad like the rest are, I don't think I would have a problem, or I could be doing something else wrong.

This shows the guys who poured the pads were too dumb or too lazy to do them right. Maybe both. Learn to throw off them.They are the same for everyone so maybe just "get past it" and let it bother the other guys and use it to your advantage.
While I agree with everyone saying teepads that are out of level suck balls, pmatt has hit it on the head. If you can adapt your game to get past these obstacles you'll be ahead of the competition.

Being comfortable with a "stand and deliver" drive pays huge dividends on courses with uneven or otherwise compromised tee pads. Up here in BC many of our courses are carved out of the woods with not much more than a spot to set your feet for a tee pad (I'm looking at you Pender) so you learn how to adapt or get frustrated.

Like the others have said, use it to your advantage!

I've worked at throwing my TeeBirds from a standstill off the tee just for these occasions. I can still get it out around 300-325' doing this on most holes, so I'm not that a bad off.

A lot of the ones around me are gravel. Add no rake and northwest rains and it ends up in a puddle. Sometimes I we from beside the teepad in casual rounds because no one wants to trip in the puddle lol.

Unlevel teepads are my number one pet peeve. It makes our sport look like a fluke IMO. The challenge should be the hole design etc. not the fact that I'm going uphill or downhill and trying to throw. I know how to adjust for it etc but it gets under my skin every time. If you're going to spend the time and money to put a course in do it right. Why don't we just put in angled baskets and say it's "a challenge" LOL

Re-read all these posts except replace "unlevel tee pad" with "trees".

Hmmm....

Not quite sure how a tree messes with weight distribution, timing or anything other than an already errant throw. Pins and tees should both be standardized. On a championship course I feel level teepads are a must.

I'd like to see the size and shape of tee pads made to a(some) consensus standard. A tee that doesn't designate basket direction, and in turn doesn't favor one throwing style versus another would be favorable and fair(aka: round- a la' Fountain Hills). Round pads also allow for more diversity in alternate basket placements, not to mention shot selections. On the downside round pads are harder to form than rectangles, and they take up more area and concrete.

Out of level teepads suck, especially when they are uphill. Teepads that are too short can be just as bad. They can really throw off your timing. If you don't know how to use a level, don't volunteer to build teepads.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd like to see the size and shape of tee pads made to a(some) consensus standard. A tee that doesn't designate basket direction, and in turn doesn't favor one throwing style versus another would be favorable and fair(aka: round- a la' Fountain Hills). Round pads also allow for more diversity in alternate basket placements, not to mention shot selections. On the downside round pads are harder to form than rectangles, and they take up more area and concrete.
I have no problem with this, as long as tee signs make it obvious what direction the hole plays.

However, given that:
1) tee signs often get destroyed over time, and...
2) some courses are open enough that it's hard to determine what direction a given hole plays...

I kinda like tees that are trapezoidal or rounded at the front, and point in the direction of play. Not an issue for locals familiar with a course, but nice for the travelling player.

someone said it above but it bears repeating, wonky concrete pads are not a feature, they're a f**k up.

if it's a poured concrete pad and it's not flat then it's wrong, and warrants lost points on a review. I've done a bit of concrete work and am a little neurotic in general, so this is a pet peeve of mine for sure.

that said, adaptation is key in our game. we have to deal with pads ranging from huge and perfectly flat concrete with beautiful texturing, to lumpy natural pads clinging to the sides of mountains. sometimes a standstill is all ya get.

Makes a challenge, thats all...There is no whining in Disc Golf. Unpucker and huck'er... But with that out of the way...Tee pads are the window to the hole... ha! I made a punny! If they dont allow you to clear your head and let your body's routine kick in then bad throws are coming. No one ever said "Thank God I over thought that drive it sure did help..."

Re-read all these posts except replace "unlevel tee pad" with "trees".

Hmmm....

The challenges of each hole should be everything between the tee and the basket. Not the tee or basket itself. Otherwise we are just glorified putt putt golf waiting on someone to invent the first opening and closing clowns mouth basket. (All rights reserved, copyright 2014 Deuces discgolf Inc.):rolleyes:

One of the courses in my area put in short teepads on about 7 holes (leaving the rest as dirt teepads). it's terrible unless you are doing a standstill - especially when you consider the uneven ground around the teepads.

I'm not sure why the owners just didn't wait until they had enough funds to make proper sized teepads. Do it right or don't do it all.

I agree that teepads that are too short are more annoying. For example, hole 16 at Winged Deer Park, my local course, is 577 feet and slightly uphill when it's in the B position yet the teepad is about 6 ft. in length with no space behind it. This makes throwing a huge air shot on this much more difficult.

I have no problem with this, as long as tee signs make it obvious what direction the hole plays.

However, given that:
1) tee signs often get destroyed over time, and...
2) some courses are open enough that it's hard to determine what direction a given hole plays...

I kinda like tees that are trapezoidal or rounded at the front, and point in the direction of play. Not an issue for locals familiar with a course, but nice for the travelling player.

Both of your concerns could(and should) be remedied with better signage. One of my main points was to emphasize the need for a standard, much like that of a ball golf tee.... and specifically to that point: That no tee should give any indication as to which direction the hole/fairway/desirable shot lies. My other point was that round tee pads would allow for the diversity of run-ups/throwing styles that exist without favoring or restricting any one technique from shot to shot. I would think that having the ability to set up alternates in any direction and still be able to use the same run up as before would be worth the installation of round pads alone.

It's easy to say there should be a standard, but it's a little trickier in practice. There are a lot of different kinds of tee pads, you like circular pads (which take at least double the concrete for the same amount of runup), some like rectangular or trapezoidal or hexagonal pads, whose favorite gets chosen as the standard? Who sets that standard? How do you enforce that on a group of volunteers installing a course on a shoestring budget who can only afford the concrete for 3x6' pads or a park department who has no clue that some guy on the internet is setting standards for them?

I think we all understand this is a bit of a fantasy...

As far as circles vs squares, I prefer circles. To get the same length and width it takes more, but if you want the same variety of shot selection a circle affords then you have to pour a square larger than the circle by a fair amount. I'd love all circular teepads. Absolutely no bias whatsoever. The tee is the one spot where everyone should be equal.

It's easy to say there should be a standard, but it's a little trickier in practice. There are a lot of different kinds of tee pads, you like circular pads (which take at least double the concrete for the same amount of runup), some like rectangular or trapezoidal or hexagonal pads, whose favorite gets chosen as the standard? Who sets that standard? How do you enforce that on a group of volunteers installing a course on a shoestring budget who can only afford the concrete for 3x6' pads or a park department who has no clue that some guy on the internet is setting standards for them?

And there is the rub as it were. How? How do we even come to a consensus, much less implement one? The only answer I could give that has any touch of truth to it would be: SLOWLY. But I do believe it's an important issue, just as important as basket innovation/certification... which by the way is still being tinkered and tweaked, just to give an idea as to how SLOWLY innovation and consensus culminates into action. One way to speed up the process would be to require that any disc course wanting to host a NT or possibly even A-tier event have tee pads that meet the new standards and are certified, much like as with the baskets used, be them Mach III's, Mach X's or what have you's.

Need help with this. Uphill drive on upward sloping teepad. It must mess with my timing cause I get no snap. Tips?

I think I saw that someone answered this. Feldberg talks about it in one of the youtube clinic vids, I think the one where he gets all geometric on height/fade? A more angled runup helps, angled R to L for a RHBH. But, I've found I have to work on it to get all the timing right to hit the line I want. Or standstill/OH/FH if possible on the shot? FH is much easier for me with an uphill lie. There's a DG Monthy vid from one of the last couple of Seneca Soirees. They've got some interesting pads there. You see Brinster a few times doing some gymnastic runups from off the side.

I can give uneven pads a pass to some extent, say on older courses. The pad could've been level when installed, and erotion etc over time can cause the slant. Never done it, but I'd imagine trying to relevel one when this happens is much worse than the original pour. But I agree I don't like teeing on an uphill teepad.

But, being over 6 ft and long legged, I can't stand REALLY short tees that aren't reasonably flush to ground level. I don't need them to be huge, though those are great, but there are a few around town here that are, like, novelty tee pads, like tee pads you'd have on your desk as a decorative example of an acutal tee pad. When like 4-5+ inches above ground level, this totally sucks and upsets me beyond reason.

Oh, and while I'm crying about it, the pads they have @ the Mounds in Oakridge, TN, are the worst. Natural pads framed by raised, like, 6x6's or RR X ties. makes me nuts.

I think I saw that someone answered this. Feldberg talks about it in one of the youtube clinic vids, I think the one where he gets all geometric on height/fade? A more angled runup helps, angled R to L for a RHBH. But, I've found I have to work on it to get all the timing right to hit the line I want. Or standstill/OH/FH if possible on the shot? FH is much easier for me with an uphill lie. There's a DG Monthy vid from one of the last couple of Seneca Soirees. They've got some interesting pads there. You see Brinster a few times doing some gymnastic runups from off the side.

I can give uneven pads a pass to some extent, say on older courses. The pad could've been level when installed, and erotion etc over time can cause the slant. Never done it, but I'd imagine trying to relevel one when this happens is much worse than the original pour. But I agree I don't like teeing on an uphill teepad.

But, being over 6 ft and long legged, I can't stand REALLY short tees that aren't reasonably flush to ground level. I don't need them to be huge, though those are great, but there are a few around town here that are, like, novelty tee pads, like tee pads you'd have on your desk as a decorative example of an acutal tee pad. When like 4-5+ inches above ground level, this totally sucks and upsets me beyond reason.

Oh, and while I'm crying about it, the pads they have @ the Mounds in Oakridge, TN, are the worst. Natural pads framed by raised, like, 6x6's or RR X ties. makes me nuts.

*cough* Eastway *cough*