• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UNC course in Chapel Hill NC

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I'm writing up a revised review of the UNC disc golf course, and I want to make sure that I'm current with the latest changes and course configuration.

I've got Alt basket positions on holes 1, 6, 7, 10, 14, 15, 17. Am I missing any? Here are what I consider the Alt positions:
1 = to left in the little clearing,
6 = (I haven't seen it, only told about it. Can you describe it? Is there indeed one?),
7 = on the left side, farther back, 10 = at the back of the hill, not forward on the front edge of the hill,
14 = (I haven't seen it. I've only been told that there's one on the right side.)
15 = down at the bottom of the hill in the original position, instead of up on the plateau
17 = on the right side, a little longer

Does anyone have lengths for these configurations?

I've only got one Alt tee pad, on hole 5. Does anyone have a hole length for this?

Lowe

UCC Course...

Sorry I can't help on all the distances off the top of my head but as far as the alt pin positions go you are right about the ones you have listed plus a couple of others...

Hole #1 has 3 basket positions. Far right near the fence, short left in the little clearing and really short left by the pavement.

On #6, I think I have actually played the alt pin position. It's only there once in a blue moon though. I seem to remember it about pin high of the regular position just on the right side near the treeline (around 330 ft).

#7 has 3 basket positions...left, right at the top of the hill and right down over the hill.

#8 has a positon on the little peninsula and also one short, straight ahead in the grass.

#10 has one at the front of the hill and one back another 30-40 ft.

#14 (one of my favorite holes ever) does indeed have a full time second basket way up on the right. Regular position 410 ft. Alt approximately 440-450
ft. Really pretty hole.

#15 on the plateau and down to the right

#17 short and straight and further and to the right. There may actually be 3 spots on this one.

Hope this helps...It is basically my home course and I play there about once a week. As I'm sure you probably know, it's a great course. Great conversion from a ball golf course. Several holes have changed over the years but I really like the current set-up. Let me know if you need anything else.

UNC lengths

Thanks for the layout info. I've emailed several of the UNC club people to get the lengths, but no response yet. If anyone has those lengths I'd really like to get them since their crucial to determining scoring averages, par, and the course level. Anyone who has them can email me at playdiscgolf @gmail.com

Hole Lengths

I'm sure I'll be playing a round over the next few days there. Everything is well marked on the tee signs so I will write the lengths down for you. I'll post them within a few days....

Is Carolina DGC the proper name or would UNC DGC be more appropriate?

Is Carolina DGC the proper name or would UNC DGC be more appropriate?

"Carolina DGC" is the "proper" name that matches the PDGA directory. You could also call it just "UNC" (without the DGC) since that's more commonly used by the locals here. I've never heard anyone say "Carolina DGC", so I'd give a slight nod to "UNC". It comes down to this-- locals know it as UNC, but people outside the area who only read the PDGA directory will only know it as "Carolina DGC". Both will know which course it is when they see it's in Chapel Hill. Either name is fine.

Fair enough.. Carolina DGC stays. Sometimes the PDGA uses a wrong/outdated name for the course so I like to make sure things are current when possible.

Fair enough.. Carolina DGC stays. Sometimes the PDGA uses a wrong/outdated name for the course so I like to make sure things are current when possible.

Tim,

Well, thanks to a little impetus from yours truly, the PDGA directory now says "UNC DGC", so I'd suggest that you change the name here to just "UNC". (Personally, I think that adding the "DGC" is too many initials all together.)

Tim,

Well, thanks to a little impetus from yours truly, the PDGA directory now says "UNC DGC", so I'd suggest that you change the name here to just "UNC". (Personally, I think that adding the "DGC" is too many initials all together.)

Looks like someone updated it there yesterday. I changed the name here as well.