• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Under Rated

Ken Climo is currently under-rated. People are saying he is washed up all the time on this board and he is the 3rd highest rated player in the world. Makes no sense.

Ken Climo is currently under-rated. People are saying he is washed up all the time on this board and he is the 3rd highest rated player in the world. Makes no sense.

Kinda what I was getting at. He's still cash money, but all you hear about is Locastro, Feldberg, Jenkins, McCabe.

I'm going to go with Steve Rico... he's been in the Top 10 for years and gets no hype.
Best putter in the world.
DSCJNKY

rico has a howitzer for an arm and was the man in 2003. he's also got a brother that's really good too

David Feldberg 1042
Nikko Locastro 1040
Kenneth Climo 1039
Nate Doss 1036
Josh Anthon 1036
Jesper Lundmark 1035
Darrell Nodland 1034
Steve Brinster 1034
Robert Musick 1034
Matt Orum 1034

who are Robert Musick and Darrell Nodland? everyone else on there I've heard of and seen play. Climo is erroneously being put in the "has been" category. Doss is still in there but isn't getting as much as attention as before. Lundmark needs more credit since he is the only European representin'. Anthon is also under rated.

rico has a howitzer for an arm and was the man in 2003. he's also got a brother that's really good too

I'm very good friends with both of them... Bamba was the man when Steve was still young. Their cousin Freddie has serious game too.
DSCJNKY

Robert Musick is a La Mirada, CA local. Nice guy. Young. Plays disc.

there is no such thing as underrated. Everybody gets the rating he deserves, since it is determined by how well you play.

I think Steve Brinster and Cale Leiviska are both players not really known on the big stage but are very solid players.

I disagree, I think most people know who these two are.

I think some people are confusing under rated with under appreciated.

Bingo.

I'm going to agree that Climo is under-rated (not under appreciated by any stretch though). I think it's not a case of being washed up - but plastic technology is closing the gap.

What I mean is that in the 90's when Climo was beating everybody's face in (wasn't it '95 where he won 24/27 tournaments he played in, and the other 3 he got 2nd?) there weren't warp speed drivers like we have now, and from what I understand not as much of a range in stability of molds. Technology gives a boost to players who may not have as clean of a game (we talk about overstable drivers masking OAT all the time, for one example) and allow them to compete by buffering the weak points in their game.

So it's not that Climo has fallen off, it's just the "gap" between his level and everybody else has gotten smaller in part because plastic is better. I don't mean to say it's the whole reason, but it's a big factor IMO.

I admittedly didn't play in those years so someone with more experience please chime in and tell me if I'm full of crap or not - but back when a Viper was a fast disc the game was played very differently.

Ah I see

This doesn't really make sense to me though because climo can throw the high speed stuff also, and if his form is cleaner, he would still be better. I don't think that disc innovation really has much to do with it.

I do agree that he hasn't gotten worse and his compition has gotten better.

Maybe it's because of the boom in courses around the late 90s because DGA's (I think) basket patent ran out, so more people have a chance to be good

...because climo can throw the high speed stuff also, and if his form is cleaner, he would still be better.

Thus he is under-rated. That's my point, is he still is better but people act like he's not. He's never out of the top 5 in the world (I think he's #3 right now) despite the changes in the landscape of the game.

Latest posts