• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Under stable Driver

caleb1989

I am trying to get some suggestions on a good somewhat under stable disc. Currently I throw a lot of Rampages, Cannons and Katanas but as I continue to improve and throw farther I flip these over more and more I have to throw on a perfect hyzer angle in order to get the flight that I want but if I throw it flat it goes right every time. So I am looking for something a little more stable that is a little more forgiving. That if I release it flat it won't turn all the way over.

I think you mean overstable?

You must really throw far, 400+, if you can flip a Rampage over consistently, assuming it isn't just bad form, or an extremely worn or understable run of Rampage. Anyway, you can get some ridiculously stable discs like a Stiletto or Ape. But I would actually recommend you get a few different Destroyers and play with them. Destroyers are awesome discs, most popular distance driver by far. Once you get used to them, you can find them in a variety of stabilities just depending on the run of Discs or the shape, and really get to know them, and your own power/form. Champion Destroyer will be the most Overstable, but I prefer Star or now GStar. Heavier weights are more Overstable.

Haha yeah, and sometimes I'm also just curious how people can flip certain things and if there are that many 425'+ arms out there...

ya, we need to have newcomers fill out a detailed form so we dont have to spend 3 pages trying to figure out what someone is doing just to make a not-so-simple disc suggestion.

Can we get admins or site creators to create a new form on the user profile, or update the profile info questions? Unless you guys are digging the inquisition portion of these threads..

ya, we need to have newcomers fill out a detailed form so we dont have to spend 3 pages trying to figure out what someone is doing just to make a not-so-simple disc suggestion.

Can we get admins or site creators to create a new form on the user profile, or update the profile info questions? Unless you guys are digging the inquisition portion of these threads..

lol...the redundancy level any time some newb asks the proverbial question "why isn't my ______ flying like advertised?", has become absurd at this point. Tell em to search the forum...or grab a Leopard. :p

Haha yeah, and sometimes I'm also just curious how people can flip certain things and if there are that many 425'+ arms out there...

As he "improves" he's flipping Rampage, Cannon, and Katana more and more? :confused:

The first 2 should be easily controllable to 450+.

...anyway, no worries, I just find it amusing.

lol...the redundancy level any time some newb asks the proverbial question "why isn't my ______ flying like advertised?", has become absurd at this point. Tell em to search the forum...or grab a Leopard. :p

Upon my arrival on this forum i was told both these things and they were/are excellent advice.

How far do you typically throw them, and backhand?

It is certainly possibly that the reason these discs flip and go right for me throwing backhand is that I'm turning my wrist when I release. I definitely do this at times and maybe I'm doing it and don't even realize it. Right now max distance is at 370.

It is certainly possibly that the reason these discs flip and go right for me throwing backhand is that I'm turning my wrist when I release. I definitely do this at times and maybe I'm doing it and don't even realize it. Right now max distance is at 370.

I bet that's the case...that power range plus a bit of wrist roll would be enough to make a lot of discs act more understable than they should be. It's tricky because Legacy drivers apparently have a ton of variation, and I know Katanas can go from having a huge fade to being quite understable. If I had to suggest a disc for the flight and distance I would say Trespass or star Wraith, but I worry that could be less stable than what you're already throwing.

The real question to me is, can you throw your mids straight 300' or so, and fairway drivers 330'+ on stable lines? If those discs hold straight for you at that power, then consider another driver (while still being cautious with wrist roll). If your mids and fairways are also turning at those ranges, then it's your form and trying to go to a more overstable distance driver will only hurt your form and actually be harder to throw far.

Latest posts