• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable Fairway - Reliable Turn w/out Burn

iLessThan3DiscGolf

Par Member
Hello fellow DGCR users.

As the title suggests, I'm in need of some help. I've been bagging an F7 most of the year, but even after beating two of them in neither of them are reliable. I know some of it is personal form, but I've worked on a solid throw and I'm still having issues. As a RHBH; The F7 will either turn & burn, or turn slightly and come right back into a straight/fade.

I'm lost without the reliable Flat-to-turn fairway shot that I had all last year with a River, before it went toast and I tried the F7. No dice. I'm reluctant to try the River again, as it started to turn wayyy too much within a couple months.

So please, what Fairway Driver do you use and/or recommend for the Understable Turning slot?

TL;DR: Understable Fairway - What cha got?

It you're getting it too far left and right, and I assume sometimes where you want it??... sounds like form to me. That or find a disc that will allow you to utilize better form.

For example, I don't throw anything less than solid stable flat. All slightly stable to extreme understable, I prefer a slight to moderate outer wing down release in order to achieve my cleanest follow through which tends to be across the solar plexus vs. the chest.

I would recommend dropping a speed or two until you can consistently get the turn you're after, then come back up in speed. The lower speed will allow you to add overpowering to the equation in addition to disc design and outer wing release angle. I find speed 8 the highest I can go with this line of travel and still get consistent results hence, best overall distance but yes, there comes a point when that lovable, reliable turner needs to be retired.

I like a Leopard. Can go straight with hyzer, can hold an anhyzer line or can hyzer flip. I threw a buddies Witness the other day, very close to the Leopard but it doesnt come back as much.

without really explaining your throw it's near impossible to recommend anything.

I can throw straight to right 6 different ways and use different disc for each way.

Are you:
Trying to hyzer fllip then fade and keep it through the end
Are you throwing flat and letting it overpower the disc
are you throwing big anhyzers

what weights do you normally throw.

For a straight down the middle slow turn that holds through to the end I use a -10 gram (from my normal driver) road runner champion, without to much overpowering it will go out 100-150 then turn right and hold the line till the end.

It seems that generally any disc with a lot of turn has the potential to burn. I've started adding height to prevent burns and cut rolls.

To answer a few questions/comments:

-- I do have some form issues to work out, I understand that. But if I can't get an understable disc to go understable & turn after trying multiples of the same disc, I want to move on. The F7 has been nothing but unreliable for me. Happens.
-- For the 'speed' issue, I've come to terms w/ my arm speed and I'm throwing Speed 10s as my main drivers. I have a D3 for 'wide-ass-open & downhill' shots when appropriate.
-- As for what I want it to do:
I'm lost without the reliable Flat-to-turn fairway shot that I had all last year with a River
-- I need a Flat-to-turn, much like a worn-in River will do. I'm not against the River, but I wasn't in love.
-- I throw 165-171g mainly.

I'm just looking for some US Fairway recommendations, and why you believe so. I don't need a form breakdown or skill discussion.

Just looking to start conversation about US Fairways. Thank you for your responses

I would grab a lower weight stratus or pro sidewinder then, I use a beat in buzz for those shots personally though but I can get a buzz out to 350 without effort.

I'm just looking for some US Fairway recommendations, and why you believe so. I don't need a form breakdown or skill discussion.

If you can find someone else to throw the disc you can't, the way you want to, I would look no further than form.

That or waste a bunch of money on what isn't the problem.

Underworld and beat-in River both work. I've been throwing big flex shots with the Jade lately, and it excels, although it will fade out more than the previous two. Escape would be another.

F5 and F7 have both been great discs for me. Or a gold line saint, turns quite a bit at end of flight.

ditch the f7 and get something like a pro leopard. it'll start straight and then get some turn as it beats in. now here's the important part... learn to throw a hyzer. after that disc beats in and you've mastered the hyzer flip you will be able to make all kinds of different shots with the disc going right a different part of it's flight.

fwiw i use a patriot for this slot which is like a leopard but a little faster.

Legacy Patriot holds a real nice slow turn and never burns unless you have bad form.

Its like a beat in teebird out of the box

I'd just work on a better hyzer flip and learn to control the disc a little more.

I have a 3 year old beat to snot GL river with a cow poo stain on it (Hawk Hollow badge of honor) that i hope gets more flippy. It's kinda stuck where it is now tho.

Depending on the speed you can throw, I'd say either Underworld or Hatchet. Both westside discs, both pretty understable but controllable for me. I generally throw speed 9-11 drivers, my primary driver being a Saint.

Latest posts