• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Understable mid?

A disc that I can throw on a hole like that would be great.

It looks like if I threw my leopard, I would need a bit more height and it probably wouldn't turn fast enough, it would go straight longer.

How long do you think that is before the bend right in that picture? 100 -120ft

Koda- Is that the trash tee on back of oakwood? Great shot. I would say around 200 before some turn if its the hole im thinking it is. I actually FH this shot most of the time due to what you said above about your leo. really want something that will turn at the end of the flight but not too early. (tangent :D)

that's the hole, yup. the fuse helps a lot. :) haven't gotten to try the tangent on it yet so i don't know if it'd make the turn.

i can't forehand with my right hand. : \ i throw LHFH because it's been my throwing hand all my life. but i eat and write with my right, so i throw RHBH. i've tried to learn RHFH for a while and i haven't made much progress, but i haven't given up either.

so i guess, OP, if you're looking for a disc that can almost mimic a FH shot then the fuse is for you, lol. i haven't throw too many US discs, so that's all i've got - the fuse or a light X comet will do it for sure. dunno if the tangent will do that shot, other minds may have more info and more discs for you to try.

Last edited:
True^ thing about the tangent is you can really control when it turns by how much hyzer/snap you give it. Flat = early turn vs steep hyzer and you get a lazer with late turn and minimal fade unless given some real height. Lots of snap and steep hyzer gives you that slow long right while little snap and hyzer angle gives you hyzer. Light throw and flat release its point and shoot.

Like others have previously said, I'd personally go with a fuse. Very controllable, both Opto and GoldLine are great premium plastics, and it's already a touch understable right out of the bag (unlike the Tangent, which is a great disc but will need some breaking in to get that understability you want). My brother has had his Opto Fuse for over a year now and it's still holding it's lines and not flipping (it's his midrange workhorse). It is really glidy though, so you need to be careful.

I've had luck with a Discraft Meteor too, but I'm finding that it's starting to get a little flippy on me, and I'll be looking at a GoldLine Fuse to replace it this spring.

I've been having good success with a TP Warship. In lighter weights (or slightly beat-in) a TP Ship can carve Fuse-like lines...

But since you bag ROCS. I would go with the flying squirrel. Basically an Ontario ROC in premium plastic.

i have noticed a very big difference in stability between a heavy (>175) opto fuse and lighter (<170) GL and/or TM fuse

Heavy GL Fuse. Straight out of the box and a great flipper after some wear. Very controllable.

Panther, tursas, or comet all have worked nicely for me. And, I try to keep around a few beat rocs as well.

I've thrown Comets and Fuses but the Tangent truly is the king of the understable mid world. Trust me. The sweet thing about the Tangent is that it's workable for understable lines but it isn't nearly as sensitive to a headwind as most understable mids.

some of these posts are making me think about getting a tangent. I'm thinking of getting rid of the tursas and getting a fuse in the US slot, but all this talk of the tangent makes it a hard decision between that and the fuse.

I've only thrown the tangent once, but like ALL mvp discs, they are never truly understable.
The answer depends on how serious you really are when you say you want an understable disc.
The fuse is a true US disc. If you can handle it, I'd go with that.

After following thus thread, I am really interested in throwing a GL Fuse I got in an auction that was a throw-in disc (and I was planning on unloading). Now, I want to throw it. When does one know that they have "mastered" the US mid? What should field throws look like?

Understable mids are designed to be thrown with less effort, more glide and earlier turn in their flight. There is not ONE line or flight path which a disc will fly when mastered but yet MANY lines and different flight paths from the same mold-- then you have mastered it. Being understable these discs will be the most workable of all discs on the market so when you throw with hyzer they should fly straight and fade left-- you throw them flat and should see pretty straight flight with a slow right turn and not much or no fade-- give anhyzer and they should hold all the way to the ground and mirror the first shot but finish right.

Then mix in the left to right hyzer flips, sky anny stalls, rollers, and a few other shots-- you now officially mastered the US mid. :)

To address the fuse specifically though if you throw it flat it should fly fairly straight as it has a decent amount of HSS(turn rating) for an understable mid which means it takes a lot of speed in order to actually turn the disc over and get it off the line which it was released but it does not have the LSS (fade rating) of an overstable disc which want to get to the ground faster than an US disc-- they don't go left more.

Last edited:
Understable mids are designed to be thrown with less effort, more glide and earlier turn in their flight. There is not ONE line or flight path which a disc will fly when mastered but yet MANY lines and different flight paths from the same mold-- then you have mastered it. Being understable these discs will be the most workable of all discs on the market so when you throw with hyzer they should fly straight and fade left-- you throw them flat and should see pretty straight flight with a slow right turn and not much or no fade-- give anhyzer and they should hold all the way to the ground and mirror the first shot but finish right.

Then mix in the left to right hyzer flips, sky anny stalls, rollers, and a few other shots-- you now officially mastered the US mid. :)

To address the fuse specifically though if you throw it flat it should fly fairly straight as it has a decent amount of HSS(turn rating) for an understable mid which means it takes a lot of speed in order to actually turn the disc over and get it off the line which it was released but it does not have the LSS (fade rating) of an overstable disc which want to get to the ground faster than an US disc-- they don't go left more.

Thanks for the info - I have been throwing a buzzz ESP FLX and have begun to learn the anhyzer way with this disc (in the past I have been thumbing to get right, but an arm injury has my OH throw in the DL right now). I will work on trying learn that on a flat release, and then go from there.

FWIW I never really use an actually flat release but tend to give a little hyzer. I am not sure its really possible to throw flat consistently and the little bit of hyzer angle can compensate for the turn which could be more prominent when trying to release perfectly flat. Slower US mids will flip up flat and ride straight.

My first mid that I really learned to work was a skeeter then FLXESP buzzz like you have and is the jack of all trades but master of none so great to learn with. That buzzz should be your best friend until you can throw it confidently many different lines/angle and distances from 100'-300' Its only a midrange by name that doesn't mean you cant use it at ANY range :D

and if you want a new mid to play around with I would suggest a tangent from MVP. Its a slower buzzz more comet like and a Z buzzz will fly a little more OS generally than your FLXESP which beat in and are flatter in my experience. Buzzz are actually stable midranges not US though in the first place.

Last edited: