• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unique baskets / odd baskets

Homemade Pine Basket

Here are a few pictures of the new 4th generation of mountain wood baskets. The new 2010 Pine Basket is comprised of a base from a dead 220 year old Pondersosa Pine, the post is a Lodgepole Pine and the basket and top ring are Canadian White Pine, all the branches are from both Ponderosa and Lodgepole Pine. This basket also features the all-important beer bottle opener on the center post for when you are thirsty and have no way to open your favorite beverage on the course.

Attachments

• 2010 basket.jpg
    2010 basket.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 2010 basket2.jpg
    2010 basket2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 2010 basket3.jpg
    2010 basket3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 177
Here are a few pictures of the new 4th generation of mountain wood baskets. The new 2010 Pine Basket is comprised of a base from a dead 220 year old Pondersosa Pine, the post is a Lodgepole Pine and the basket and top ring are Canadian White Pine, all the branches are from both Ponderosa and Lodgepole Pine. This basket also features the all-important beer bottle opener on the center post for when you are thirsty and have no way to open your favorite beverage on the course.

That is a beautiful basket. Would to see an 18 hole course with one of those for each basket.

Here are a few more pics of Aspen baskets. To clarify from some earlier posts.

The first pic is the Phantom Falls Basket at Paul Rothley's course in Pine,Colorado. There are two aspen baskets there.

The second and third pics are of the Aspen basket that is at Jim Cannon's Mansion course in Denver.

Attachments

• phantomfalls.jpg
    phantomfalls.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 147
  • cannonmansion.jpg
    cannonmansion.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 142
  • mansion1.jpg
    mansion1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 151
To try an answer previous posts.

The newest Pine baskets take 3 days to make, the aspen baskets take well over a week to make. But all are completely green materials, standing dead trees and leftover milled wood from cabinet work. Now if I could get recycled tire chain maybe Obama can stimulate my "Green" business!

The base on the pine basket is extremely heavy and should be stable on flat ground. It is on a private course in Bailey, Colorado if the owner wants he can drill a couple holes through the base and pin with rebar. The aspen baskets have holes in the base ring for pinning with rebar to the ground.

As for a short course with all wood baskets, I'm slowly working on that at my place. Here are a few more pics of buckets at my house. Five of my best baskets are at other courses, but I can say that the baskets at my house sit out in the snow all winter, get rained on all spring, and bake in the summer sun and some are on their 4th year of play and still in great shape.

Attachments

• hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 117
  • hole8.jpg
    hole8.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 94
I just have to add to the chorus of folks saying these things look wonderful. I love that you're only using dead wood especially due to the types of wood you are using. I would love to see these on any course. I didn't really get that comment about a short wooded course.

Most times people elect not to play a course which doesn't have the typical ~$400 baskets. In this case I'm sure people go out of their way to play these unique targets. I wish there was some way I had land near-enough to you that I could justify commissioning some.

Those wood baskets are a really nice compliment to the beautiful surroundings in those pictures. While the pine baskets have a clean, even and symmetrical look, I would have to say I like the aspen baskets even more simply for their natural appearance in that environment. Not only that but each aspen basket is truly one of a kind.

If a large sum of money should ever make it's way to me, I'm buying enough land for an 18 hole course and I'm commissioning you to create all the baskets for it.

These seem to be the standard basket in OR.
Basket10.jpg

Lake Selmec I belive...

i was thinkin that at first too. pearce has baskets like that. but i don't remember for sure if its like that at selmac atleast for the front 9 i know the back 9 are pro baskets.

Well he called it a tone pole so the point really isn't to catch the disc at all.
I didn't know those existed outside of those Hawaii courses.

It makes forty footers tough but it catches fairly well, it likes floaty putts if its not pure the bamboo will send the disc flyin
The longest shot its caught, was a hyzer around 95ft with a cro

here is another yard basket this one is for putting practice, you can see a rod coming out the bottom of the basket for stabilization it can be removed easily so the basket swings freely
picture.php

Latest posts