• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unique baskets / odd baskets

It is a sweet hole, as are the other 17 there. You would love the whole course. There's not a bad shot on the entire course, and all of the baskets are hanging baskets.

Thanks for the link and comments guys. 12 looks like a swett hanging basket as well. I assume that's an xmas tree patch in the 12 and 1 pics. Maple Hill in Mass has a few xmas tree patch holes. I think it's DG is a great addition to those farms.

Mando took some great pics and wrote some nice brief descriptions as well.

It's a terrific course, one of the two the best I've played so far. Mando has done a great job all the way around. And yes it's a Christmas tree farm.

That same weekend I played another private course that has similar potential, but it was no where near as nice, and was quite the contrast with Sugaree. We also played Ashe County the day before, which is the top rated course in NC on here, and I enjoyed Sugaree much more. Don't get me wrong, Ashe County is a great course. I'm still amazed at how few of the holes played uphill, with lots of downhill holes, and zero crazy hikes between holes. He has done an awesome job with the layout of the course. Hopefully someday he'll be able to fully open it back up for somewhat regular play.

Well Ashe County's in my Wishlist now. Those pics show so many great risk/reward shots and personally, I can't get enough water. Anyway, Ashe looks like a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing that one too.

I'm still amazed at how few of the holes played uphill, with lots of downhill holes, and zero crazy hikes between holes. He has done an awesome job with the layout of the course. Hopefully someday he'll be able to fully open it back up for somewhat regular play.

Well Ashe County's in my Wishlist now. Those pics show so many great risk/reward shots and personally, I can't get enough water. Anyway, Ashe looks like a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing that one too.

Just for clarification, this part of my post was about Sugaree, not Ashe County. Lots of crazy hiking at Ashe County. But yeah, Ashe County needs to be in your wish list. It's a stunning piece of land, if for no other reason.

Crap, I took too long to edit. Here's those 2 courses I mentioned.
Devens in Ma which I think only has 4 holes of uphill and only one is a killer compared to some of the steep downs.
Golden Hills in Va

One from ebay

This is what started the addiction for me. For Christmas in 2006 my parents got me this off of ebay and my wife got me a 3 disc starter set. I modified it, adding a set of inner chains. But basically, this is how it came. It's one of the permanent baskets on my Dixie Lee DGC now.

picture.php

This is what started the addiction for me. For Christmas in 2006 my parents got me this off of ebay and my wife got me a 3 disc starter set. I modified it, adding a set of inner chains. But basically, this is how it came. It's one of the permanent baskets on my Dixie Lee DGC now.

Hey Jimb, is the top made of metal as well? The gauge of chain looks to be heavier too. How does it catch? Looks pretty sweet!

Hey Jimb, is the top made of metal as well? The gauge of chain looks to be heavier too. How does it catch? Looks pretty sweet!

The top and bottom are made out of some sort of sheet metal. The top and bottom are welded onto the sides. The chain is the 2/0 zinc coated stuff from Lowes. The chains, 12 outer and 6 inner, do a good job of slowing down my putts. However, the smooth basket rim, bottom and sides let low puts really slip and slide around a lot. This lets some putts skip out that might get caught by a basket made out of metal bars instead. I'm still thinking about how to upgrade this part of the basket and would appreciate any suggestions.

And the black rim on top of the basket it made out of the plastic stuff that you can put on the edge of car doors to keep them from getting banged up. Otherwise, the exposed metal edge tears up DX plastic something fierce.

picture.php

thats pretty cool. how much does it weigh?

thats pretty cool. how much does it weigh?

It's not too bad. When I was moving testing pin locations I could pick the whole thing up and carry it pretty easily.

It was intended to be really portable. The top/chain holding assembly will nest in the bottom basket. Problem is, all of the sections were threaded together and the threads were too fine and made out of soft metal so they were easily messed up. Once I got it right, I wouldn't take it apart again.

Not an actual basket, or target. More like a monument. When #15 at Z-Boaz is set long, this can be an obstacle. The "Z" is not separate from the tree trunk, it is carved from the trunk.

ZBZ.jpg

Attachments

• SDG_ClubHouse.jpg
    SDG_ClubHouse.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 115
Here are a few pictures of the new 4th generation of mountain wood baskets. The new 2010 Pine Basket is comprised of a base from a dead 220 year old Pondersosa Pine, the post is a Lodgepole Pine and the basket and top ring are Canadian White Pine, all the branches are from both Ponderosa and Lodgepole Pine. This basket also features the all-important beer bottle opener on the center post for when you are thirsty and have no way to open your favorite beverage on the course.
Beautiful! these are on the same level of craftsmanship and artistry as Tom Holsten baskets. Bravo!
BTW check these out yourself.http://tholsten.com/baskets.html

Beautiful! these are on the same level of craftsmanship and artistry as Tom Holsten baskets. Bravo!
BTW check these out yourself.http://tholsten.com/baskets.html

Those were posted earlier in the thread or in the other homemade baskets thread, they are definately awesome and I am jealous of the talent that guy has.

Just posted this in cool disc golf photos thread too but had to put it here for the special paint job. What a great looking basket!

picture.php

I just spent the weekend out playing on a private course where the owner had been making custom baskets for years. Some were beter than others, but it just shows how he has advanced sence he was a kid making his first basket.
31075_1269716305145_1296963588_30588447_4588210_n.jpg

31075_1269716465149_1296963588_30588451_6950857_n.jpg

Latest posts