• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"UNOFFICAL" Disc Golf Lingo

One that I had never heard prior to playing (so it may not be disc golf exclusive) is DFL.

OK, let's hear/see some words, terms & phrases you and your friends say/use on the Disc Golf course!

I will start it off.

A Mad Max =

tombstone.jpg

mm1.jpg

we call that one a "shark fin"

Separation Day = Not ideal weather conditions

When Rookies are playing hooky, Cagey/Crafty/Savvy/Seasoned/Wiley Veterans are battling the elements, such as an Artic Blast piggy-backing gale force winds!

got a buddy who calls the basket "the unit" its really annoying

Field Craft - when someone makes a great shot out of the shule with some upside down, through the toaster slot shot at 50 yards i like to tell them they demonstrated great "field craft"

I also like when I see someone throw a shot that is going to hit branches and they start yelling "Get Greasy"

other lingo:

"buckets!" draining anything way outside the circle earns a holler

"no-line-route" shank through some thick that somehow works out

"freaks" or "mutants" refers to big arm pros

"super beginner hyzer" horribly sawed off drive or nose up bullsh!t

"Slap-a-da-chains" - Refers to a short, aggressive put into the basket. Usually happens after the second or third putt attempt.

"You ain't got no bucket" - Exclamation of praise when a ridiculously difficult putt or upshot lands.

"Puddin'ed out" - Backing off too much on a shot out of fear of breaking a hand on a tree, etc.

"Snap yo' bagels" - Usually used to hype up the person next up on the tee.

"Da's ma JAM!" - Exclamation of excitement on a good drive.

Walkers or "Zack" = term i like to use for park ppl not playing dg or just shuffling around get it?

Tree Hopping = Throw into one tree after another consecutively.

Fly by = Just flying by those chains on the putt.

"baby come back" sung like the players some from the '70's when a drive accidently turns over and keeps on going. this is usually followed up by someone else in the group singing "you can blame it all on me, i was wrong and i just can't live with out you."

"hungry like the wolf" sung like the duran duran song from the '80's when some one parks a wolf.

Yes Roll- when you get a good throw that lands at the base of the basket but then proceeds to continue rolling all the way down a hill

i'm going to have to go with what someone else said in here, just yell profanity at the disc, hoping she listens

How about, [imitating Bob Uecker in the movie Major League, "...just a little bit outside...," when you totally shank one.

"Too much mustard on that tomato" = over thrown shot (drive, approach, putt)

also phrased as "The mustard to tomato ratio was definatley off on that shot"

and on any shot we will randomly yell "ROLL TIDE! AMEN!" because we think its absolutley ridiculous.

You are from Chicago. It's all mustard on the dog.

Get greasy: wanting a disc to make it through branches of trees or a narrow gap
Sally: throwing a disc way short like a little girl
Sawed-off: throwing a sidearm shot way short that hyzers almost right after release
DROT: disc resting on top (of basket)
To Infinity and Beyond: yanking a big drive way off target
Turkey: 3 birds in a row
Snowman: scoring an 8 on a hole
Use the Force: when someone asks what stable driver they should throw into a headwind
Nice layup: When opposing player's intended putt falls way short
Air bounce: when disc in flight suddenly rises up from a gust of wind
Shenanigans: player reporting incorrect score, or when another player is on fire making putt aftert putt
I Believe: wishing upon a shot to turn out well
Gomezed: when an easy putt hits front of basket (term named after a local player)
Rule Zealot: player that seems to know and enforce every rule to the letter of the law
Nikko'd: having to play a round with a negative whiny biatch on your card
Sandbagger: someone who plays in a lower division than their actual skill level (or someone who just won a tournament)
Frolfers: new players with one disc, wearing sandals, normally in large groups, with disc hyzering immediately after a high angle release

Last edited:

Latest posts