• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unrealistic distances

Around the Cincinnati area tournament scene, I've played with a decent range of DG'ers, and might estimate that 50-60% of them can throw further than I can (solid 280-300 right now, with an occasional 'how did I do that?' out to 350). I wouldn't be surprised at all if there are one or two hundred folks around here who can pretty easily throw 350 to 400. But the numbers drop off quite a bit by 450. I know there are probably a couple dozen who get dollar signs in their eyes when the thought of a distance competition comes up. Best I've seen is a young gun (quiet and unassuming) who overthrew a 515' hole by 55-65' (570-580 on fairly flat ground). And yes, he made the comeback putt.

So all this means to me is, yep, there are guys who throw farther (and some, a LOT farther) than me. I don't scoff at anyone asking for form tips for reaching 400 or even 450 feet. I guess it's the guy who throws 450 and is asking for tips on how to get out to 500 or 600 that make ya wanna retch. :p

Well, since the record is 863ft, Id say an unrealistic distance would be around 1000 ft for the next 5-6 years. After that who knows. There is always going to be someone that will push the limits of distance.

Well, since the record is 863ft, Id say an unrealistic distance would be around 1000 ft for the next 5-6 years. After that who knows. There is always going to be someone that will push the limits of distance.

Hey now, I do like to brag about once throwing a disc that didn't even touch the ground until it had traveled 900 feet.

...blizzard plastic, creek. Washed up on the third sandbar. :eek:

The great thing is that no one cares how far I throw, and no one cares how far you throw so we can all move on with our lives and claim to throw 600' or 200' and it just doesn't matter one little, tiny bit. If it bothers you when people claim to throw over 400' on the internet you need to reevaluate your life.

I have friends who truly believe they throw 400'....but they don't. They go out to the field and think every throw is a bomb. These guys posting here may actually throw that far, or they truly think they do when it's actually a 300' throw. Not every hole on every course is measured accurately which leads to some severe overestimations.

I bet I could throw a solid 15 or 20 feet right now.
I mean, it is very cold and there's some snow on the ground after all.

No. The norm, I'd say is about 300-350 (estimating generously) for guys who have put in some work and figured some things out. A lot of people say they went from 300-400 ...which to me is like saying you went from 315 to 405 on the bench press, progress like that doesn't happen in a rapid time. It takes months and months of grinding it out and putting in work to get that reward. Like someone else mentioned, when you see someone that says they throw 450-500 ft, take it with a grain of salt. It's possible, and a problem I see a lot on my home course is when baskets get moved, short basket placements were put in after tee signs, so they're not accurate. The tee sign will read something like 400, but in reality they moved placement up 80 feet.

You'd be surprised. Before last winter, I was throwing about 310-320', max. Over the winter, something must have clicked, because as soon as the snow melted, I was maxing out at about 380'. Recently, I've been parking 400-420' holes. Also, I do field work on a marked football field, so I'm pretty confident in my distances.

Disc golf is the one sport I've played (I've played plenty), where it seems things can "click", and you get much more instant results.

Last edited:
I have not read the whole thread, but wanted to make one comment on this. When I first started, our courses were about as new as I was. We all trusted the distances on the markers. We have a good variety of holes, so it wasn't difficult to see how far we all threw real world with various types of discs.

The course needed new stickers in places, so a few of us went out and lasered the holes. Some were way off. Some were off just enough to fool you. So, that brings me to this-when I travel, I trust what the signs say until I find a reason not to. Very often I fly by baskets with discs I know the range of. Lots of holes are not measured accurately, and when they are not, I find more often than not, the distance is wrong on the long side.

Then there's the whole elevation thing. It doesn't take a whole lot of that to change how far one throws. a 310 uphill throw becomes over 350 in a hurry.

It's all about speed...

pZD420k.gif

24464790815_4010e236bb_b.jpg

I have this and have learned that during the winter I top out at 350, on grass tees and the like at 380, after numerous consecutive throws can reach 415, and with a tail wind and not caring about accuracy can reach out to 430. My normal distance falls between 380 and 410. Despite all this, my putting has not improved.

OP joined yesterday and made this his 1st post.
Has not replied or posted again since.

Trolled again.
:doh:

When people join the site to start a thread like this I assume they are either trolling or haven't played with any good players...

I wonder which troll thread started by a 1 post member has the most replies.

I've never seen anyone in person throw significantly farther than I throw. (Other than at Worlds last year, that is.)

But I live in a disc golf void. So it's not surprising that my distance rivals those that I get to play with.

So, if I am going on 50, have decent form, am in decent shape, and can throw 350' for real... There's no reason for me not to believe that younger, better conditioned athletes with better form can't throw over 400' regularly. Heck, eliminate age from my equation, too.

I'd love to see some long throws. I just have to get out and play with more people and I'm sure that I would.

It's hard to overstate how much location plays in how far disc golfers throw.....when I lived in Pittsburgh playing mostly wooded courses that require accuracy over anything else almost no one (pros included) could throw 400ft....living in the Midwest with (by my standards) wide open courses......I see am2 players who can throw 400.......

Same can be said for distances. This is also hugely influenced by local courses. If there's no call to throw over 350' for any of the local shots, very few people will develop the ability.

That's kind of how it is around here. We have 3 courses. Maybe 8 holes that are 400+ in the longest configuration across those 3. Most of the courses here really reward accuracy over distance - and we have a ridiculously tight course at Indian Hills that will punish you quite harshly for lack of fairway and midrange accuracy...so most people around here (myself now included) don't throw over 400' consistently but you see a ton of really accurate drives and approaches.

On that note, we've got a new course opening up soon that's like a par 63. I've not seen it or the final layout but I'm sure it will be a great new challenge for us locally.

Latest posts