• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unwritten Rules?

Captain Obvious here but low score tees off first and ties carry over each hole. It won't bug me because I play slow but this kills some players.

If somebody throws into the woods and you are sitting in the fairway.... Don't go stand by your disc while that player looks solo for 3 minutes. Put your bag down and go help in the search. If he is kind, he will repay you in the future.

Don't say "Nice Shot" with the disc in mid flight... You just cursed the disc to hit a tree and fall straight down. Never ever.... "nice" somebody.

If you want to have an ace, don't contribute to the ace fund.

Common courtesy goes a long way. F'rinstance, one thing I've learned in my extensive (1) tournament experience is that if you're standing in someone's line of sight when he's about to throw, become invisible so as not to distract him. Just stand quiet, let him throw, and then take your turn.

Yeah, carry your discs in whatever's comfortable for you!

There's one guy that plays in local tourneys out here--and I remark on his "bag" every year, 'cause it's so unique--who carries discs/beverages/other DG essentials in one of those ottoman/footrest thingys that opens up for storage, bungeed to a standard dolly. Not only does he have a suitable carrying case, but it's on wheels and doubles as a stool!

If you want to have an ace, don't contribute to the ace fund.

:D:clap: So true! I've seen several times where the only person to get an ace in a tourney didn't pay in to the ace pool! I just may heed this advice at my next event!

Common courtesy goes a long way. F'rinstance, one thing I've learned in my extensive (1) tournament experience is that if you're standing in someone's line of sight when he's about to throw, become invisible so as not to distract him. Just stand quiet, let him throw, and then take your turn.

When someone is standing near the line of sight, I've occasionally seen that player turn their back on the person about to putt. I guess that's to be less distracting, but I'd rather just wait for the person to move instead. Looks kind of weird, like he's pouting or something.

Captain Obvious here but low score tees off first and ties carry over each hole. It won't bug me because I play slow but this kills some players.

If somebody throws into the woods and you are sitting in the fairway.... Don't go stand by your disc while that player looks solo for 3 minutes. Put your bag down and go help in the search. If he is kind, he will repay you in the future.

Don't say "Nice Shot" with the disc in mid flight... You just cursed the disc to hit a tree and fall straight down. Never ever.... "nice" somebody.

ahh man, i need to start obeying this unwritten rule, its happened more times than i care to remember

Just be courteous. Don't talk during other people's shots, stay behind the current thrower, don't stand on the green (10 meter circle around pin)while others are putting,clear your disc from the pin,be ready to take your turn (don't get into a long conversation with another player),and if you have a question, by all means ask.

If you're not in the putter's line of sight, you may stand on the "green" if you like. If you are in the putter's line of sight and he does not care, you may stand on the "green". Remember a 20m. circle is a pretty big circle.

In the Should-Be-Really-Obvious category:

Sign in.

Sounds odd, but I've seen first-timers who pre-registered for a tournament, assume they don't need to sign in on the morning of because they're already registered.

Don't assume when lunch will be over. Make sure you know. TD should post the time for the next round to begin.

Don't take a peek at the scoreboard too early and assume your starting hole from it. Wait until the TDs finished and makes it official.

If someone in your group hits the basket with his drive, or aces it, he may expect a little cash from you. If the guys you've been playing casually with don't play 5-2-1 or whatever, you'll probably run into it in a tournament. (If YOU hit the basket or ace, and people hand you money, accepting it means you're in the gang for life).

Don't take a peek at the scoreboard too early and assume your starting hole from it. Wait until the TDs finished and makes it official.

Excellent advice. i was in a tourny last year and a guy who was on my card made an assumption on where he was starting based on where he started in the morning round. Right before we headed out the TD had to mix the cards (can't remember why). Buddy is gone out to one hole and we are starting on the other side of the course. He left before the cards had been put into the board. He finally figured it out and joined us when we were on our 3rd hole. Each hole he missed is par +4 so he scored 14 for the first 2 holes. Bad mistake that put him out of the running.

In the Should-Be-Really-Obvious category:

Sign in.

Sounds odd, but I've seen first-timers who pre-registered for a tournament, assume they don't need to sign in on the morning of because they're already registered.

Don't assume when lunch will be over. Make sure you know. TD should post the time for the next round to begin.

If someone in your group hits the basket with his drive, or aces it, he may expect a little cash from you. If the guys you've been playing casually with don't play 5-2-1 or whatever, you'll probably run into it in a tournament. (If YOU hit the basket or ace, and people hand you money, accepting it means you're in the gang for life).

that's all very terrific advice, thanks so much. I never heard about the money thing.

Always listen intently at the players meeting before the tournament, and sometimes before the start of each subsequent round.

Share score keeping abilities. When you have the cards, be sure to verbally announce your score so your card mates can hear you. Do this at the next hole's tee box, so the group behind you can play the one you finished and you have a fresher memory of the next hole's order. Do not do it in transit to the next hole when somebody goes to take a number 1 in the woods.

Add up your scorecard, add it correctly, and do not trust your card mates to add correctly. Turn the card in promptly when everyone is satisfied that the results are correct.
^
This rule is actually written, but I've seen a lot of people in sanctioned events learn their lesson the hard way.

ahh the last part, calling "nice/great shot/throw"
as Napolean Dynamite would say: makes me look like a Friggin idihut

I went to SA last year. Do you live in JOBerg? I played that tree course that somebody had listed on the pdga site. I hope they can open up more courses for you.

Share score keeping abilities. When you have the cards, be sure to verbally announce your score so your card mates can hear you. Do this at the next hole's tee box, so the group behind you can play the one you finished and you have a fresher memory of the next hole's order. Do not do it in transit to the next hole when somebody goes to take a number 1 in the woods.

Add up your scorecard, add it correctly, and do not trust your card mates to add correctly. Turn the card in promptly when everyone is satisfied that the results are correct.
^
This rule is actually written, but I've seen a lot of people in sanctioned events learn their lesson the hard way.

If someone else is taking the card back, I usually walk with them to satisfy in my mind that it actually gets back.

The proper way to mark scores is:

1) Get everyone together so that all can hear.
2) Read name off
3) That person reports their score verbally
4) Confirm, verbally, their score and write it down
5) Repeat steps 2-4 until complete
6) Announce the tee order

Keep track of the card til back with the TD. I have seen more than one "go for lunch" which is considered very poor form. I've seen cards lost (which should be a major penalty in my mind) and many times seen the cards not added correctly. You are responsible for making sure the math on your score is good and we usually initial to indicate it has been checked and conformed by the player. Its a stupid tough penalty to swallow when the math is wrong....2 strokes I believe

Latest posts