• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

UPD Pinch

Mr. Butlertron

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I made a separate thread for the UPD Pinch. Here's my review:

The Pinch has tons of potential disc storage. There's 5 possible disc storage compartments, a mini pocket big enough for a small tablet, and a miscellaneous storage compartment. It's a small bag with big versatility Believe it or not, I could pack a full tournaments worth of junk (for me) within this comfortable lightweight bag if I wanted to.

Like most bags with a lateral main storage compartment, the Pinch performs best when full. If not, the discs want to work themselves 90 degrees one direction or the other. The free swinging flap isn't just for storage, it's sort of doubles as an extra stabilizer as well. I'd say that the Shift actually does better standing up and staying organized with less discs. The flap may not be the most secure of pockets, but it's convenient and the storage capacity is larger than it seems. Due to the short stature of the bag, a clip on towel is likely to touch the ground when free hanging from the handle. Fortunately, there are many pockets to stuff my towel into

The Pinch was not designed with bottle holders as much as there are side pockets that could potentially hold bottles. Small bottles will work and could help further stabilize the bag. Larger bottles in the side pockets might give you some problems, though. I decided to relocate a few discs in these pockets in favor of placing a 32 oz waterbottle within the main compartment. I placed it in the center and was able to neatly store discs on each side. It helped balance my bag on a stool and keep the water weight centered, close to my body. Problem solved.

As with other UPD products, players can expect the same quality and durability. The shoulder straps are little smaller and more narrow than that of a Shift, but the bag carried nicely and was comfortable. The Pinch felt light when fully loaded with liquids, amazingly light without them. The top loading design makes access easy too. I would have liked for there to be a pair of zippers for the miscellaneous pockets.

TLDR: this bag is well worth the money. My prediction is that the Pinch will sell like hot cakes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 343
Mine is at home, I'm on vacation until Saturday night... Thanks for the review! Makes me want to leave the beach just to get my hands on it!!!!

I played Monday with my new Pinch bag (upgrading from a fade crunch box).... my impressions are sort of mixed. I think the material, and finish is good and appears to be high quality. I got the black with blue zipper version and it looks quite good in person. The bag offers a ton of versatility with how you store your discs, while maintaining a very compact profile. Additionally, the bag is lightweight and feels quite comfortable carrying it around.

Unfortunately, there aren't many pockets actually, or maybe not the type of pockets I want. There ARE several pockets for your discs, but not pockets that would fit any sort of clothes or miscellaneous stuff. One of the main reasons I upgraded to a backpack style bag is to store more discs but also the ability to have random junk/clothes whatever stored in there. The pocket which you would ideally put your phone/wallet/keys in, is not lined with any sort of soft material, and because of the main storage compartment, that pocket ends up being very taut. Therefore, unfortunately when the bag tips forward, its rolling against the ground. My next big gripe is that you really do need to think about the configuration you're choosing to store your discs. I believe that the OP has probably the ideal or smartest configuration (I haven't played yet with that type of setup so my experience may improve a great deal using it like that). If you follow the traditional approach of using the main storage compartment with your discs in a horizontal fashion, you may not like it. I say that because if you put more than 1 disc in the upper most pocket, its pretty difficult to exchange discs out of the main compartment unless you pull the " flip down flap pocket" forward. This is because of the compact depth of the bag, combined with the zipper for that flap not being able to zip down far enough. Again, I've only used this one time, but picking up discs from shot to shot and wanting to quickly put them in the main compartment was frustrating as it wasn't a smooth experience.

HOWEVER, using the flip down pocket for 3 of your most used discs makes it very convenient to exchange on the fly. Additionally, having discs in that pocket is critical in my opinion to th being stabilized in such a way that it doesn't tip forward. On that same note, using the side pockets for your favorite drivers/mids, whatever is also a good option for access and separation of disc types.

I know this sounds negative - its actually a cool bag, very unique from whats on the market due to the versatility with how you can configure it. I think I need more time with getting comfortable with a configuration that works for me. The alternative may be accepting that I'd like a slightly larger bag that offers more pockets to stuff things in (DD commander, prodigy bp2, etc).

Last edited:
I agree, storing non disc items does not seem to be this bags strong point. The Shift can carry clothing underneath the horizontal disc storage, but you'll have to fork over more dough for that luxury. The Pinch is a no frills, inexpensive bag for players than want to carry just discs, preferably over a dozen if they want it to stay upright.

I agree, storing non disc items does not seem to be this bags strong point. The Shift can carry clothing underneath the horizontal disc storage, but you'll have to fork over more dough for that luxury. The Pinch is a no frills, inexpensive bag for players than want to carry just discs, preferably over a dozen if they want it to stay upright.

Which is somewhat unfortunate because similar bags (albeit larger except for sniper) in the price range do offer storage for non disc items. Prodigy BP2, Hero Pack, Sniper (sniper has the one big deep upper pocket).

A couple zippers would've helped alot.

Played a few rounds with this bag now, and overall it provides what I was expecting.
I've been looking for a smaller disc capacity lightweight backpack that was top loading, and once I saw the Pinch pre-order I knew this bag was it.
I'll likely still use my Fossa Tana Pro for tournaments, but I wanted the Pinch for most of my casual rounds.

The bag is extremely light, well constructed, and 1st appearances indicate it will be durable.
The only support appears to be a metal piece that runs up the back, the bag will want to fold over onto itself when not loaded with discs, and the sides are not very sturdy. I'm considering building a PVC frame for the main compartment.
The padding and straps are comfortable, and the bag fits and rides on my back easily. Very comfortable!

Numerous configurations are possible, for now I've used the main compartment for 12-15 discs and the folded down flap for the putter. Disc retriever, pen and towel go into the top disc compartment, mini and scorecard in the mini pocket, and the sides work well with 16 oz. water bottles. Bottom storage compartment easily holds my keys, wallet, and phone. With 10 or so discs in the main compartment you could fit small clothing items and/or other accessories on each side of the discs easily.

You can put discs in every pocket and flap except the mini pocket and bottom storage which allows for much diversity.
This bag is not made for carrying lot's of non-essential items, it's minimal yet efficient design is well crafted.
Great price point provides high value.

So after a few weeks of using the Pinch it quickly became clear to me that this bag needs an internal frame, so today I built one out of 1/2" PVC. Rough out to out dimensions are 10" wide x 7" high x 6.5" deep, fits perfectly inside the main compartment and now keeps the entire bag upright and stable. Can fit 13 discs in between the frame, but plan to carry 12 plus 2 in the folded down putter flap. Easy upgrade, and well worth it.

So after a few weeks of using the Pinch it quickly became clear to me that this bag needs an internal frame, so today I built one out of 1/2" PVC. Rough out to out dimensions are 10" wide x 7" high x 6.5" deep, fits perfectly inside the main compartment and now keeps the entire bag upright and stable. Can fit 13 discs in between the frame, but plan to carry 12 plus 2 in the folded down putter flap. Easy upgrade, and well worth it.

I would love to see some pictures of your frame.

I am going to go against the grain of the other posters and say that I am not entirely pleased with my pinch.

First the positives:
It does hold a ton of discs for a bag with such a small footprint, and it is extremely lightweight.

Now the negatives as I see them:
The bag does not have much structure. It tends to fold over on itself, especially if there is anything in the top pocket. I asked if the bag had support before buying and was told it has a metal stay running up the back, which it does. However that support does not go all the way down the back, which might be contributing to the droopiness. The overall lack of structure bugs me.

Next is the size. I am a pretty big guy at 6'3" and i have very broad shoulders and a very long torso. I very much feel like a fat guy in a little coat when I wear this bag. Even with the straps loosened all the way I have a hard time getting both straps on without struggling. I know this speaks more to my body shape, and less to the bag, but it just does not fit me well.

I am sure that this bag will be perfect for most golfers, but it is just not for me. I love upperpark and have a v4 rebel that I have been using, which is awesome. Now I am going to try a shift as my smaller, casual round bag. I will probably sell or pass my pinch on to someone else so it doesnt just sit in a closet.

An internal frame is the only way to make this bag functional. It allows easy access to the discs, and keeps it upright and accessible.

Attachments

• IMG_20170902_173816768.jpg
    IMG_20170902_173816768.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20170902_173935078.jpg
    IMG_20170902_173935078.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 153
Necro*Sry: Metal stay...

I asked if the bag had support before buying and was told it has a metal stay running up the back, which it does

I knew the pinch had some type of internal support. Your version was the older and not the

V2 I'm assuming? I was trying to find out if it was plastic or metal after mine arrived bent in

half. I can't tell just by feel if the V2 is still metal or not. I read that the V2 redesign extended

the support down to the bottom as well as retaining the back stay, to increase overall rigidity.

I knew the pinch had some type of internal support. Your version was the older and not the

V2 I'm assuming? I was trying to find out if it was plastic or metal after mine arrived bent in

half. I can't tell just by feel if the V2 is still metal or not. I read that the V2 redesign extended

the support down to the bottom as well as retaining the back stay, to increase overall rigidity.

I replied in your other thread too. Yes, mine was a v1. The stay in the v2 is metal and runs all the way from top to bottom. I would assume you could unbend it, but not sure it will ever be 100%. Have you emailed customer service?

It's metal, aluminum to be exact. And it should not be bent. I moved to a new fulfillment center during this Covid madness and they spent a solid day shipping Pinch bags bent in half inside small boxes, not cool. Please email me with your order number and some pictures and I'll get you out a proper bag 👍

Upgrading from the original first run Pinch to the 2021 Pinch. Great bag, decent price, lots of versatility, and more durable than I expected.

Mine lasted me around three years of heavy year round use. Fingers crossed...

Any noticeable differences between the V1 and Current Pinch?

My Pinch arrived today, but I haven't used it yet. It truly is impressive how many discs fit in this tiny unassuming backpack. Here's my initial observations:

- zippers feel cheaper
- bag is narrower
- main storage holds roughly the same amount of discs
- shoulder strap are slightly wider
- there's a loop on the bottom corner, no idea what that's about

Seems pretty legit. I liked my old Pinch for extreme courses with a lot of vertical and pitch & putts. My Octothorpe is too bulky for those types of fairways.

Used the 2021 Pinch for a league event as my first field test. I carried 5 putters, 5 mids, 9 drivers, a couple towels and a bottle of Powerade comfortably.

It performed like a dream. It felt like I was wearing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all. I even received a few compliments. Not many UPDG bags in this park of the US so players were a little extra curious. Great bag, good price, happy costumer.

Latest posts