• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Urban practice

DannyThunders

Double Eagle Member
Does anyone else like to walk to the store at night and do little upshots from place to place?? I always seem to like tossin putters from A to B when its nice and empty in town, avoiding cars and houses of course.

I dont like my discs landing on tar, so no.

But we do night city golf for fun sometimes. With old discs.

I've got a sweet little object course in the parking lot down the street. My medium VP's don't mind the asphalt.

I play a lot of urban guerrilla golf. There are thousands of corners where disc golf "holes" could exist and it's not fault of their own that they can't be a part of a full course. So why not go out and play the hole you see, even if it's not in the ground as a permanent fixture? I do it all the time and thus far I have yet to have a throw go awry. Though I have lost a few in storm drains. I think these urban courses are a excellent.

there is playground across the street I throw to sometimes

when there are no kids

when there are no kids

^ Where's the fun to be found in that? I wait until lunch recess and play through the local elementary school...down the hallways and across the playground. Now that's a good time.

when there are no kids

This reminds me of my most horrible disc golf experience. There's this mediocre course close to where I used to live. One of the holes is about 240' with a playground about 140' out and 100' to the right. Now, at the time, I wasn't as good as I am now but still fairly proficient. There were kids on the playground, but I thought "there's no way I'm going to throw in that direction." (This just shows how dangerous your mental game can be.) Sure enough, I roll my wrist bad and it flies over, hits a metal part of the playground, and bounces back towards the fairway. The horrible gut wrenching part is it was within feet of hitting a kid. I felt sick to my stomach at coming that close. Now I NEVER risk it if there's kids or elderly anywhere around, even if it's 30 degrees left or right.

I still aim for deer tho.

Though I have lost a few in storm drains. QUOTE said:
I was playingat Pease park in Austin before it got RIPed with a group of friends once. I don't remember what hole number it was, but my buddy teed off and griplocked one into the street. It went into a storm drain about 250 feet away. It was hilarious. Million to on shot!

On the flip side of losing them in storm drains; I left a disc in a field and two years later a man walking around in that field found the disc and called me to return it. It was unusable after two years of exposure but it was cool that someone found it and called me. Something I can't say for every disc I've lost on a disc golf course.