• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

US Amateur Doubles in Charlotte

actually it's amateur dubs.

and mark has stated that he has certain goals as an amateur. i know...a lot of people hope he meets them quick! ha.

now why is there some people rated almost 1000 in the doubles championships? Seems a bit ridiculous to me because I recognize a couple of the names and they should be playing open if anything. Not trying to step on toes or anything but it seems a bit ridiculous to me to allow something like that.

Bobby Jones won major titles in the sport of golf and never turned pro.

No one should EVER be forced to play professionally.

Hogleggbob knows exactly why I am playing Amateur... I don't care to explain, my goals are my goals.
So last year I played Doubles at 980+ with a 992 rated player, we finished 13th. (only 2 strokes ahead of mr Hogleggbob.
25 shots behind the winners. In 2010 same partner 17 strokes out in 11th. 20+ people that have beat me in doubles in the past are playing this year, including defending champions of this event.

The flyer INCORRECTLY says <970.

I'll play Am as long as I am want to and when ever I want to. Lucky for me we are gauranteed to win because of my rating. Whew, I probably wont even warm up just to give everyone a chance.

I posted somewhere all the people that beat me this year and their average ratings, I think it was somewhere around 960, low 924 and high 996. So quit your whining and beat me. If not, or you are scared, don't bother going to KC next year. I'll be there and expect to lose to a bunch of 924-996 rated players.

Bobby Jones won major titles in the sport of golf and never turned pro.

No one should EVER be forced to play professionally.

Wrong. Everyone with the rating of 002 or above should be pro... giving the people with a rating of 001 a chance to win.

I've seen a negative round rating before, so it's not fair to anyone rated a negative number.

So the flyer was incorrect for the tourney???? seems unlikely but whatever you say. I just think that this is a tourney for amateurs not pros. If you want to play the tournament thats fine its the td's call but I know pros rated under where some people in this amateur tourney are rated.

So the flyer was incorrect for the tourney???? seems unlikely but whatever you say. I just think that this is a tourney for amateurs not pros. If you want to play the tournament thats fine its the td's call but I know pros rated under where some people in this amateur tourney are rated.

It is a tourney for amateurs. There are amateurs that are rated over 970, and they can play.

The flyer says all players under 970 are welcome because there are some pros out there that are rated under 970 that probably think they can't play, but they can as long as their rating is under 970.

I've clarified the info on this site and the Charlotte DGC website a number of times directly from the TD. Dynamic Discs just never updated their flyer. US Amateur Doubles follows ALL rules for Amateur that the PDGA set up.

If you have never accepted cash, you are AMATEUR
If you have accepted cash but are rated under 970 you are AMATEUR

Joey,
"pro" Just means that you accepted cash, it doesn't matter what your rating is...or that you played the PDGA extra money to sign up in that division. There are people playing that were pro's, and accepted cash...but are rated under 970.

All that fit those 2 categories are able to play just like every PDGA event.

We wouldnt be having this discussion if you had seen how I played Sunday at Bracketts doubles... lol.

As the State Coordinator for North Carolina and the one who approved the sanctioning of this event to take place, I can say with 100% certainity that Mark, Ken and anyone who is registered through the PDGA as an amateur is eligible to play. Note that it is possible for someone to have taken cash and be classified as an amateur (I'm an example of this, but that is for another discussion).

Also, anyone who is classified as a pro but currently has a rating below 970 is also eligible to play.

I agree the flyer's wording was poor. However any PDGA event has to be under the PDGA rules and these are the PDGA rules regarding eligible players for the amateur divisions.

So just for future reference what about the 930? that Splits int. & advanced. If someone is 950 rated but doesn't want to move up to advanced can they bag int. for as long as they want? I didn't know these numbers were just thrown out there I thought it was the pdga preventing sandbagging, not claiming these are rules that's just what I had always been told.

Advanced division of Amateur ( MA1) is available to any player that satisfies the PDGA definition of amateur.

All other Amateur divisions are protected whether it be by Age, Sex, or rating.

Advanced Masters
Junior 16 and Under
Intermediate Women
etc...

Technically, you are not allowed to play in Intermediate if rated 935 or above. It is a protected division based on rating ... top level. Anyone rated under 935 may play including women, masters, and juniors.

So just for future reference what about the 930? that Splits int. & advanced. If someone is 950 rated but doesn't want to move up to advanced can they bag int. for as long as they want? I didn't know these numbers were just thrown out there I thought it was the pdga preventing sandbagging, not claiming these are rules that's just what I had always been told.

It's quite simple how amateur divisions work.

If your rating is 850 or Above, you are not permitted to play Novice.
If your rating is 900 or Above, you are not permitted to play Rec
If your rating is 935 or Above, you are not permitted to play Int.
If you are a professional and your rating is 970 or above, you are not permitted to play Advanced.

There are many many other breakdowns for all divisions - the entire classifcation chart for divisions can be found on page 4 at http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/Tour_Standards_v3.pdf

For this discussion, note what it says for the ratings requirment for Open and for advanced.

For open, it is suggested that players 970 or above play open.
For advanced, it clearly states that you are required if you are above 935 to play advanced but the word "any" is used for ratings qualifications.

The only time someone is forced to play pro is when they are classified as a pro rated 970 or above.

Last edited:
guess its easier selling disc on sites like this then trying to cash against the big boys. drum roll for the new c. lee award goes to:

992 rated ams totally help the sport grow. i may have 2-3 pdga rounds rated that high. to shoot 1000 rated rounds 1/3 of your rounds.....you should do yourself and other ams a favor and move up. the last tourney mark played as a am he beat the top pro spot by 10+ strokes...IMO 975 should be the cut-off for ams

992 rated ams totally help the sport grow. i may have 2-3 pdga rounds rated that high. to shoot 1000 rated rounds 1/3 of your rounds.....you should do yourself and other ams a favor and move up. the last tourney mark played as a am he beat the top pro spot by 10+ strokes...IMO 975 should be the cut-off for ams

No one should ever be forced to play professionally in any sport.

We wouldnt be having this discussion if you had seen how I played Sunday at Bracketts doubles... lol.

my neighbor wes played in your group. only shot i saw was a huge flick on #11.

No one should ever be forced to play professionally in any sport.

No they shouldn't. but I think Trohpy only for AMs will help this situation. (lower entry with nice Players pack) Baggers are winning big stacks of plastic or baskets then just selling them here or ebay.. No incentive to move up.

Either way to each their own. Good luck to all my Hickraw players playN and crush those baggers

No they shouldn't. but I think Trohpy only for AMs will help this situation. (lower entry with nice Players pack) Baggers are winning big stacks of plastic or baskets then just selling them here or ebay.. No incentive to move up.

Now this I agree with.

Latest posts