• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC no ratings

Really? There are a bunch of semi bums with three or four discs, in CA, who only ever play one course, aren't interested in tournament play, and are some of the best players around. Presumably you were only harassing Mr. Laser?

Laser's point, that visually, Winthrop is one of the best spectator venues out there, is right on for me. As I pointed out earlier, even though I might point out that short comings of 17, knowing its coming in a tied match is amazingly fun.

Was this post semi-serious as well? Anyone who only plays 1 course is not one of the "best players around". Unless you mean around that course. I know plenty of people who play a course so regularly they develop muscle memory for that course, allowing them to shred that particular course, but if you take them off that course they are mediocre at best. The fact that people whom only play a single course exist is hard to fathom, never mind the fact that somehow you believe these people are among the best players around. It is like arguing that a chef who is only capable of preparing one dish could be one of the best chefs around.

Winthrop visually appealing? Is you entire post a troll? It is a solid course, with several very memorable holes. The fact it is relatively open lends itself to being camera friendly. The course itself is about as boring as it gets, though. That is why they need to add all the ropes. Flat, open, on a university campus. Probably the least visually appealing of any course hosting an NT or Major.

Winthrop visually appealing? Is you entire post a troll? It is a solid course, with several very memorable holes. The fact it is relatively open lends itself to being camera friendly. The course itself is about as boring as it gets, though. That is why they need to add all the ropes. Flat, open, on a university campus. Probably the least visually appealing of any course hosting an NT or Major.

Visually appealing is subjective so is a silly thing to argue about (beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that). Having been there and played the course with and without the ropes, I have to disagree that it is boring sans USDGC accoutrements.

The addition of the ropes creates different challenges and ways to approach the holes, but the course stands on its own without the ropes as well. It may not be truly Gold caliber without the ropes, but it is a diverse and challenging course all the same. What elevation exists is utilized quite well (1, 3, 12, 14, 16, 18), as is the water.

Is it a worthy challenge to the elite of the elite players in the game without the ropes? No, but neither are a bunch of other courses utilized in NTs and majors (Worlds in particular until recently). Unfortunately, the sport is still in a financial situation where we just can't build stadium courses that are both visually appealling and skill challenging while also being spectator/camera friendly. Until we do, using ropes and other "artificial" means to shape fairways and create challenges is what we have to do. Maybe it doesn't need to be taken quite to the extremes that some courses do (like at Winthrop) but it should have a place in the game.

Hazeltine for the Ryder Cup doesn't look as good as it normally does with all of the tents, stadiums, signs and people. But oh well, they've got 10s of thousands of paying spectators to cover the expense. They even cut down the rough so players have a chance to execute exceptional recovery shots. The few water hazards have drop zones you can go to immediately or even play from where it went in. Looks like their design goal (and golf in general) is to primarily spread scores based on meeting/failing challenges (versus penalty padding) to keep the competition close for more tension and excitement for players and fans.

Considering Ryder is both a team and match play format with much higher spectator interest from even casual fans than regular PGA Tour events, perhaps our tour developers should be thinking the next thing to try might be a tour with either or both these elements versus straight singles play.

^ Do you work for the PDGA or the PGA?

Yes, use team formats so the millions of people who've never heard of disc golf can still never have heard of disc golf. That'll grow the sport.

Or the millions of casual players who have no interest in the Pro side of the game will suddenly be riveted. Riveted, I tell you. Capacity crowds tittering with excitement.

Was this post semi-serious as well? Anyone who only plays 1 course is not one of the "best players around". Unless you mean around that course. I know plenty of people who play a course so regularly they develop muscle memory for that course, allowing them to shred that particular course, but if you take them off that course they are mediocre at best. The fact that people whom only play a single course exist is hard to fathom, never mind the fact that somehow you believe these people are among the best players around. It is like arguing that a chef who is only capable of preparing one dish could be one of the best chefs around.

I think others have addressed the Winthrop is "nice" question, although, in fact, I agree with you. I prefer something out in the forest any day. But I'm not silly enough to ignore the many posts of people who love Winthrop.

As to the other issue, i will remind that the post was a reply to someone's notion that only having one or two courses in your play list here, meant you were, uninformed? Unskilled? Seemed a pretty ridiculous notion. As for the highly skilled small disc selection player who doesn't tour, that I'll stand by. Different people have different values and judging them by our own might be a mistake. Take a look at CCDGs coverage from, I think it was the Coyote Classic. They had a guy with three of four discs who was top card. Never leaves his area, and was quite good. It does happen. Frequency? Well, I'd never claim there are a ton, but there are some.

Yes, use team formats so the millions of people who've never heard of disc golf can still never have heard of disc golf. That'll grow the sport.

Or the millions of casual players who have no interest in the Pro side of the game will suddenly be riveted. Riveted, I tell you. Capacity crowds tittering with excitement.

I don't think your interpretation of what Chuck wrote is what he meant. He is simply posting that at one PGA event, they've specifically cut and set up the area to fit their spectators, and have good success with that. I might hate it but math is math. This type of set up is exactly why HD and JP claim they are trying to effect at USCGC. Is it working? Well, it is an easy spectator venue, and they have as many spectators as any event, some (all?) of whom pay.

Continue doing what you're doing and you shouldn't expect a better result. Maybe not insanity yet for pro disc golf but certainly ongoing wishful thinking.

Casual observers are more likely to root for teams where they have a direct or indirect emotional affiliation with a team regardless of level whether USA, Minnesota, St. Paul, Buckeyes, Springfield HS, Minnesota Frisbee Association or Prodigy. They're unlikely to elicit much emotional connection with unknown players competing against a course unless maybe they are interested in wagering. You know one of the first things the local media whether TV, radio or newspapers want to know when you ask them to cover your event? "Who are the local contenders, where do they live, what are their chances and anything interesting about them?" Why? Because whatever story they write hopefully will generate some emotional response among their viewers who have little interest or knowledge in the sport itself.

Now, when you see people competing head-to-head in match play, whether for money, physical or idea superiority, there's an emotional connection even with casual viewers. It's human drama not related to the activity or score. Consider the debate the other day with the largest audience ever. It was a duel where the ideas were clearly less important to viewers than how they spoke, acted and reacted. Vastly more viewers watched than just those who are politics wonks.

BTW, "Growing the sport" won't be a major factor to help the pro game. That likely just continues to increase the number of players who would mostly prefer playing to watching. Pro'moters need to figure out how to "Grow the (paid) viewers".

That's a lovely room of death.
3135998_o.gif

Indeed, my wife wont go down there. My 2.5 year old wants to know what's on the other side of the wall.

Latest posts