• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC no ratings

I hunted in my youth and I never once heard of B and C (bacon and cheese?). A four pointer was a four pointer and if you took a doe, you were in trouble. And of course only someone who was visually impaired took a two pointer. What were we talkin' about?

B&C is huge for the avid buck hunters. It's how they rate bucks - combination of number of points, total length of antlers, symmetry (for typical racks).

That's likely very over-generalized but it's just a scoring system. I'm from MO and anything in the 150-200 range is considered a monster/trophy if your a real hunter and are not in one of the fenced in ranches with mutant bucks they pump full of ****.

For the record, I also hunted as a youth and it's just not for me. I have nothing against it as I eat meat and think hunting is far more humane than how we get our pork/beef/chicken. I just know because my dad has some property and a basement full of buck heads.

Also, I'm not sure if this was a serious question. :)

I just know because my dad has some property and a basement full of buck heads.
That's a lovely room of death.
3135998_o.gif

Yep, it's dramatic, I watched it cost JEMc the win in 2014, but having one hole be the deciding factor in a major makes me question the structure of the event.

JohnE cost himself that win. There were 71 other holes he could have played differently to better his score. And, he could have played that one differently too and had better results.

If just one hole was (or could be) the deciding factor for a major tournament, then wouldn't major tournaments just need one hole to decide who the winner is? Why have any more, then!

Mcray could have played that hole different after the missed attempt. Nothing states that you have to run all the way to the basket. I have seen a fare number of people play the layup shot before attempting the green. The continuous throwing from tee pad ob after ob was what burned him. He could have had an easy 6 vs what what the number again?

The USDGC course is so hard. It does look gimmicky when less then elite players take it on for sure, but it is a spectator masterpiece to watch the best in the world play.

I'm pretty solid, and I always watch film and think, "Damn, this course would destroy me". Your mental game has to be on point. It takes some serious endurance in the focus department and you have to have a really short memory.

How can you be solid if you've only played one course :confused:

B&C is huge for the avid buck hunters. It's how they rate bucks - combination of number of points, total length of antlers, symmetry (for typical racks).

That's likely very over-generalized but it's just a scoring system. I'm from MO and anything in the 150-200 range is considered a monster/trophy if your a real hunter and are not in one of the fenced in ranches with mutant bucks they pump full of ****.

For the record, I also hunted as a youth and it's just not for me. I have nothing against it as I eat meat and think hunting is far more humane than how we get our pork/beef/chicken. I just know because my dad has some property and a basement full of buck heads.

Also, I'm not sure if this was a serious question. :)

Thanks for the answer. Semi-serious. I must have grown up when you hunted to put meat on the table. Anything below a four point was considered young and therefore small. I'm with you, meat is way better than the crap they sell us. Gamey, but still. Like venison jerky though. I quit young also, my dad quit about 10 years ago. Too many loose cannons with guns in the woods, so he said.

JohnE cost himself that win. There were 71 other holes he could have played differently to better his score. And, he could have played that one differently too and had better results.

If just one hole was (or could be) the deciding factor for a major tournament, then wouldn't major tournaments just need one hole to decide who the winner is? Why have any more, then!

Don't disagree, but look at the fits people had when Ricky got eliminated from the Pro tour over an entire round. But here we are accepting that a single hole can be the difference between first and fifth. I agree, John should have been more sound, mentally.

The point is, the hole only has merit if some players run it. Otherwise, it's a boring, mundane hole. Layup, layup, putt out. The designer is counting on players taking a huge risk, that if none of them took, would mean the hole was removed. If you saw the hole, without the man made island, with no stroke and distance, and no height mando, you'd think, this hole doesn't belong in a major. All of those rules had to be added to make a very boring hole, interesting.

How can you be solid if you've only played one course :confused:

Really? There are a bunch of semi bums with three or four discs, in CA, who only ever play one course, aren't interested in tournament play, and are some of the best players around. Presumably you were only harassing Mr. Laser?

Laser's point, that visually, Winthrop is one of the best spectator venues out there, is right on for me. As I pointed out earlier, even though I might point out that short comings of 17, knowing its coming in a tied match is amazingly fun.

Not sure what you guys feel the difference is between the island hole at the USDGC and the GBO. The GBO is longer but the concept is the same. Risk/Reward.

I guess the main difference I see is if you go for the GBO island hole and miss you putt from a drop zone. You're risking a bogey for a birdie, not a birdie for a potential snow man or worse.

Either way I think they're both fun to watch

Refresh my memory, but wasnt it the same USDGC that JohnE threw several teeshots on 888, too? Might not have been the same round, but still. And again, with minimal setup time between each missed attempt.

ps. not necessarily everyone updates their courses played regularly. I have 129 played courses in Finland (plus 1 in Budapest and 1 in Prague) but Ill be damned if if gonna go through the trouble of setting them up here. I dont use DGCR for the main purpose, just for these forums

Refresh my memory, but wasnt it the same USDGC that JohnE threw several teeshots on 888, too? Might not have been the same round, but still. And again, with minimal setup time between each missed attempt.

I don't recall 888, but that is definitely John's MO. If Paul is Mr. Fancy pants, John is Mr. Cranky pants. :D

JohnE cost himself the win a few years ago with a horrible mental decision.

He was up 4.

Let's talk worst case scenario if he lays up and Will aces. Even if he throws to the fat part of the green and misses it once, his score is fine.

One lay up
Two OB
Three Penalty
Four IB
Missed Putt 5

I would define a 6 with the lay up off the tee a complete debacle. And even if Will aces, he's down 1. If Will 2's he's tied.

Of course the more likely bad scenario, even with an Ace, is JohnE takes a 4 (on the green in two and misses his putt) and he's up 1 going to 18.

Basically, JohnE had to have everything go wrong and Will had to have everything go right for him to lose.

That's 100% on him in the scenario.

Ratings help interpret the results. I have no idea what xx on a given course is, or what -14 for round means (could be sick round or could be poor course design). But a 11xx and you know for damn sure what it means.

In the AM side its of course playing against your rating that makes it interesting. I care not one bit if (when) I suck and win a sucky division. I want to know how I am doing against my old self. Winning would only mean something in a non-sucky division but I am not there yet or more likely never will be.

17 has changed the outcome 3 years running

2013: Schusterick missed the island 3 times I believe, Brinster won
2014: McCray melted down and the 3-way tie happened, Will won
2015: Ricky had 2 strokes on Paul IIRC going in, Paul took it after his birdie.

17 has changed the outcome 3 years running

2013: Schusterick missed the island 3 times I believe, Brinster won
2014: McCray melted down and the 3-way tie happened, Will won
2015: Ricky had 2 strokes on Paul IIRC going in, Paul took it after his birdie.

The island hole at EO took the championship from Ricky in 2015. Same deal, stroke and distance. Hmmmm.

Latest posts