• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

USDGC Updates

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Sorry if I missed this in another thread:

I'm interested to see how the Winthrop changes affect the competition this year. The course is going to play much easier in places than 2018 and a tad more difficult in others. Also the ladies tees are interesting...

2 - A little strip of OB on the right side is still such an odd thing and the sticks still prevent discs from flaring through the green, likely saving OB strokes and circle 2 putts more than they prevent putts from going in.

4 - The gap canopy now covers the left side almost eliminating the sidearm hyzer safe wide left, this could make the hole more challenging, but for these guys, probably not that much.

5- That tee placement still seems like a forehand throwers dream and its a pretty easy BH to get in position.

9 - Will play underpar. It is a pretty wide fairway for about 450 ft then an island with a generous landing zone left of the pin. The OB of the tee on the right side is up the hill side so anyone with a serviceable side arm can dump one around the second tree with almost no risk of going OB right. Then it is an easy putter approach to the pin. I don't believe it is S&D so even though you have to land on the island, you get last in bounds on the peninsula so no one is going blow this hole up.

11 - All Hazard, wow, every pro is just going to launch something and at worst come up with a 4 or 5. You are going to see a ton of 3s and 4s With the OB and dropzone gone you might as well give everyone a 4 and skip the hole

12 - Same as 11, no OB drop zone, the hazard OB is almost impossible for a mortal to get in. The entire hole is Hazard so what is the risk, 1 stroke to gain 2? When it was S&D the shot for birdie was kind of risky because you are throwing #4 from 400ft, now if you miss, you are throwing 4 from wherever you landed OB so plenty of opportunities for short circle 2 par saves from the Hazard.

18 - The mando gone and the tree gone make this a blah hole now. A sidearm into the hill and a hyzer with a mid over the cut up tree (used to be mando).

Overall I'm looking at 4-5 shots shaved from the field. The penalty strokes just aren't very severe, they are actually easier than even a normal S&D OB. Seems like winthrop went from S&D, skipping over last in bounds, and went right to, you get all of your distance but just add a stroke. More than any year, this event will come down to who throws #1 in bounds on 17. We aren't going to see the dramatic 4-5 stroke swings in a single hole like we have over the past few years; where a leader gets a 7 and someone gets an eagle, etc.

I'm thinking the reason for Hazard versus OB is no volunteer flaggers needed on those holes. You don't need to know if your shot is OB or not before leaving your lie.

We thought that might be the case, will still drive down scores.
And that's a good thing: Less stroke padding by reducing additional throws from the same lie, faster play and tighter scoring spread.

I wonder if the video team will consider adding artificial crowd noise to the broadcast like other sports are doing.

Might not, the sport of Disc Golf is like Traditional Golf, Silent during the golf part and then Traditional Golf has always used fake clapping, very fake clapping from a 1950's sitcom fake clap.

We don't need no stinking clapping, we need more cowbell!

Actually a Gong style putter pole where sound is only in the best part of an actual basket like a Mach V or Chainstar Pro would be nice for a smaller putter type basket in places that chains for baskets is not a wanted sound.

2 - I think they put that little OB strip in there about 6 or 7 years ago. I assume it's to make people think twice about throwing an out of control roller on the hole. Not sure I would care much about that if I were running the tournament.

5 - Scoring distribution is pretty good. 34% birdie, 37% par, 30% bogey+. In 2018 from the dock it was 25% birdie, 40% par, 36% bogey+. Flip a coin for which hole plays better.

9 - I can't imagine many scores worse than a 6 here. Drive OB, penalty, approach to the end of the peninsula OB, penalty, chip to green, putt. Last year 9 was just about the hardest hole on the course, with a pretty significant number of triple bogeys. Shouldn't see many triples this year, and probably not even very many doubles. I still like the old reverse-C shaped from several years ago.

11/12 - Like Chuck said, a primary reason for this is to cut down on volunteer labor. No need for spotters on a hazard hole. Should cut down on the doubles and triples, and I'm curious if it increases the number of birdies. It'll allow people to be more aggressive, but sometimes that can bite you. Last year, the top 10 players mostly got 3s and 4s on these two holes anyway (except for round 4 when there were suddenly a lot of bogeys on 11).
I'm especially excited about the change to hazard for the FPO divisions. I had no suggestions on how to change these holes for FPO if they were still S&D.

18 - I don't think the mando tree had much of an effect on play in the first place. I don't think it'll play very different now that it's gone.

James Conrad's winning score last year after 4 rounds was -19. I wouldn't be offended at all by having the course play a couple of strokes easier.
Old 1 and 2 replacing the golf course 3 and 4 will probably play at least a stroke easier on average. 9 will probably be a stroke easier. 11 and 12 might be a quarter or half stroke each. I could easily see the overall average improving by 3 strokes. As for the winner, Conrad shot -7 on holes 9/11/12 last year. 7 birdies, 5 pars, no bogeys. Even with those holes made easier, it'd be hard for him to shoot much better than last year.

Any idea on lead/chase/feature card tee times yet? Planning on buying the live pass in Finland and we are 7 hours ahead eastern so wondering how little sleep im going to get this week

Any idea on lead/chase/feature card tee times yet? Planning on buying the live pass in Finland and we are 7 hours ahead eastern so wondering how little sleep im going to get this week

Without having any inside information, the lead women will tee in the morning, I'm guessing around 10am eastern, and the lead men will be around 2:30pm eastern.

9 groups of FPO players
20 groups of MPO players

15 minute tee intervals, starting at ~8:00am

Last edited:
Looks like i´m 6h ahead here in sweden so tee time around 20:00 local time. . that works :)

FPO will tee of just as i get of work. . .nice

Last edited:

Latest posts